cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooper AT3 XLT

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got any experience or know of having these tires ,its time for new ones . Have never run a Cooper tire . Heard good things , as long as I can get some decent mileage out of them with some fifth wheel towing I would be happy ,that ,and they are quiet .
52 REPLIES 52

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Nitto Dura Grappler worked well for me in the past, but the rating was /is less than the Terra Grappler G2
When I need to replace the truck tires - I've been looking so far at Michillen Defender LTX 295/65R20 at #4080 pound OR the Nitto Tera Grappler 2 295/65R20 with their 4080 pound rating

I took a look at that Terra Grappler G2 , Its a toss up between the two that ,and the Cooper AT3 XLT ,both the same price for my tire size . The G2 slightly better rating at 65K , Cooper 60K. I buy most of my tires locally from the same shop for a number of years . Going to talk to them about the two . They shouldn't have any dog in this hunt ,both the same priced tire .

I saw the 65~VS~ 60 mile rating and that didn't concern me all that much..My ONLY concern was the last set of Nitto G2's gave me some tread sway that I had never had before....But then again, I always used the regular Terra Grappler, that was 1st set of G2's

BUT...I did see that the AT3 XLT carries a load index of 126 = 3748@ ~ vs ~ the other 2 at 4080#... If that matters

I was mistaken on the Nitto G2's they are only a 50K tread warranty on the LT's Cooper was 60K Both brands in my tire size LT 275/70/18 are rated for 3638 or 3640 @ 80 psi. depending on which website you look .

Tread sway is a bit concerning considering towing fifth wheels . I can't say of all the brands I have towed with that I could claim much difference or sway, other things like road noise ,or picking up rocks were noticeable.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Load Range E AT3 Coopers on both trucks. I felt they were really good in the snow on my 1500. My dually being a dually, I try to keep it out of the snow. All were made in the US of A and all I heard about them before purchase is what you're hearing in here.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Falken wildpeaks A/T3W tires they are great tires. I had Coopers on my last truck and was not happy with them
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Nitto Dura Grappler worked well for me in the past, but the rating was /is less than the Terra Grappler G2
When I need to replace the truck tires - I've been looking so far at Michillen Defender LTX 295/65R20 at #4080 pound OR the Nitto Tera Grappler 2 295/65R20 with their 4080 pound rating

I took a look at that Terra Grappler G2 , Its a toss up between the two that ,and the Cooper AT3 XLT ,both the same price for my tire size . The G2 slightly better rating at 65K , Cooper 60K. I buy most of my tires locally from the same shop for a number of years . Going to talk to them about the two . They shouldn't have any dog in this hunt ,both the same priced tire .

I saw the 65~VS~ 60 mile rating and that didn't concern me all that much..My ONLY concern was the last set of Nitto G2's gave me some tread sway that I had never had before....But then again, I always used the regular Terra Grappler, that was 1st set of G2's

BUT...I did see that the AT3 XLT carries a load index of 126 = 3748@ ~ vs ~ the other 2 at 4080#... If that matters
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

blt2ski
Had literally 40 Coopers on different trucks, trailers, spouses Astro Van in the 90's. I have yet to have a blow out due to a case issue. Micheblows on the other hand. Wish I would have put the AT3 on my truck last summer vs the GY Duratrac. Nothing wrong with the GY's. BUT the AT3 is quieter on the freeway etc. traction snow wise in maybe a bit less to more depending upon Type and style of snow/slush you are in. Utah should not be an issue with AT3's.
I too found the BFG AT to be the worst snow tire I've had. Both sons are running AT3's too. Probably because I've been buying them since the early 90's.

Schwab is selling a private brand Salun tire. Seen a bunch running around the Seattle area. Thought about that option last summer too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Over the years I've had several sets of Cooper tires on different vehicles.
I can't say a bad thing about them.

Thats good to hear ,its always nice to hear from whoever has run a tire you are interested in .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I've had several sets of Cooper tires on different vehicles.
I can't say a bad thing about them.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run the NITTO RidgeGrapplers on my 01 RAM Sport and they are holding up well, ride quiet and don't hold rocks. They may be more aggressive than you want. They are US Made also. My Son runs them and he tows a 21k dump a lot and easily gets 50k.

Never heard a bad thing about Coopers!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with these particular tires but in general I think Cooper makes a solid tire. In fact I've got Coopers on my wife's Pilot right now and they've held up and performed really well.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'll be replacing the Cooper AT2's on my truck next winter. Compared to the previous Toyo AT's, they have a better ride and better grip in the rain. Got caught in a surprise snow storm on a pass in Oregon (weather forecast = no snow) and they kept my truck and trailer (17K# combined) rolling up the hill without drama (and w/o chains). I was absolutely shocked by their performance.
I like them enough that I will be getting a new set of AT3's to replace them. I've had a lot of different tires on our RAM over the last 20 years but these are my favorites.

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
Buy American Cooper tires. Buy China Sailun tires.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Big1 wrote:
I love these tires I'm on my second set the only thing that I don't like about them is they do pick up rocks so every time I ride on a road that have rocks I have to stop and pop them all out. They are great in the snow also.

The worst tires I have run for rocks were the Goodrich Ta's. These Toyo's I have don't seem too bad . These Cooper AT3 XLT's look like pretty much the same 5 rib AT tires that most of them are like the Toyo's.

I think I will give these XLT's a shot, is it the XLT's you have had or just the AT3's ?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Anyone got any experience or know of having these tires ,its time for new ones . Have never run a Cooper tire . Heard good things , as long as I can get some decent mileage out of them with some fifth wheel towing I would be happy ,that ,and they are quiet .

Why not Sailun tires?

Sailun Terramax AT 4S LT275/70R18 (Load E)

I considered them ,had a friend run them ,but you have shamed me into recommending B&W , and buying American . :B But seriously the Sailun is a great RV tire , the friend that run them liked them on his truck, they are a 5 rib AT tire ,but he did say they were wearing out faster then previous AT tires he had ran. He traded the truck before he wore them out, so I never knew how many miles they would of ran. He's a full timer ,so his tires do a lot of towing a fifth wheel . I feel more comfortable sticking to a name brand truck tire .

I like Toyo's , but this last set of AT2's didn't do as well as I thought they would , rotated every 5K, but I could probably push 40 K as said out of them ,but not towing the fifth wheel.