cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins Water Pump

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Finally. I got a call from my service advisor letting me know they actually have the new style pump and set me up for tomorrow. I haven’t heard anything from FCA though. I absolutely love my truck, but slightly less than thrilled with FCA and how this recall has been handled and drug out. I received my initial recall notice end of September and here it is mid March. I hope to never need them again.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!
108 REPLIES 108

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
They have my part tagged for me and ready to put on next week.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go to "Official Mopar Site Recalls" put in your Vin # and you will see everything that has been done and yet to be.

They ONLY replace the pumps that look like mine. Notice the shaft is flush to end of pulley. If yours stick past they will NOT replace it. Also mine has a rough casting on the tapered end of the pulley. the "GOOD" one has a ring around the tapered end that is machined smooth and has letters cast into the tapered edge.

I just received my pump from Genos and as you said it does have machined edge on the pulley, cast numbers on pulley, protruding shaft and a weep hole. The only problem is that the impeller was smashed. It can't sustain being dropped or tumbling on a conveyor when there is zero padding in the box. Geno's is sending another and said they will open the small Cummins box and give it additional padding. This is a Cummins part.

I think it's a good thing that it was smashed vs being cracked and not noticed it before assembling. I wouldn't say this is just a Geno's issue as it could have been damaged anywhere along the line. It should have a hard protective cardboard collar or something to protect the impeller. No matter where you buy a pump check the impeller very closely.

While I was in the process of getting this resolved I called a dealer in the Houston area Tomball Dodge to see how much they want for a pump. $215 and in stock for my truck. I then called their service dept thinking I would just take it to the dealer they said there is no pump available and it would have to be approved by Chrysler if a person's truck was down they would authorized some type of a replacement to be put on it. I told her about my inquiry of the part earlier but said nope none available for my truck????

My son in Colorado had one replaced on his 2013 and I called another dealer in another state and they said that all the 13 to 17 vehicles are in the recall but they have to inspect it to see if that pump is actually part of the recall. They also said the pumps are available and they have installed several of them.

So I will have the fan tool and pump from genos but I may still take it to the dealer, haven't made up my mind yet. I'll have a pump on hand anyway for $50. Mine truck has the style with the flush shaft.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:

After reading about all years it almost seems like it's worth spending $50 every 50k or 60k miles for a pump. I don't go to a dealer unless I absolutely have to.

That is my plan. I have a spare from Geno's for @ $50, it will go on in about 50k miles. Cheap insurance.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Jim2007 wrote:
Hi BobE... what year is your and model is your Dodge truck. Jim2007

It’s a 2013 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab long bed.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim2007 wrote:

From another post by BobE. "2013 Ram 2500 CCLB CTD."
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
Someone had asked what happens when the water pump fails. I got bit by the bad water pump yesterday on my way home from work. 77,000 miles on the truck. It seized and threw the belt when I was creeping along in rush hour traffic. The belt got all wrapped around the fan shaft and bent it. I lost all power steering and power brakes. In fact, it was worse than that. The steering was practically locked up and I had to stand on the brakes just to keep the truck from moving under idle. I hate to think what would of happened if I was traveling 70 mph or towing anything. It would have been very bad. Luckily I was able to get off the road and into a parking lot without incident. No lights on the dash to indicate overheating. So I got lucky there. I was so freaked, I didn’t think to flip the EVIC to the temp gauge to see how hot it got.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Water pumps are not a new issue even back to the 5.9 as I understand it so what says that the new straight from the dealer pump is going to be the final answer.

After reading about all years it almost seems like it's worth spending $50 every 50k or 60k miles for a pump. I don't go to a dealer unless I absolutely have to.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Genos garage has new style Cummins brand pumps for $49.95, idk why they’re so cheap, and gates pumps for $68. Not sure why one would even wait to do it.
I can’t drive to the dealer and back twice with 2 vehicles for that much. Not to mention the time spent dicking around with the dealer.
$50 and an hour in the driveway = fixed.
Worst cast $160 in the driveway = fixed. Still better than the dealer option imo.
Don’t trip over dollars to pick up cents.

Although your post is a month old, what convinces you Genos has the lasted and greatest water pump for the 6.7 ????? Dealers are on a waiting list for these pumps, yet Genos or whomever has them :h .

First notice of the recall, no pumps, and now in a very limited quantity for the recall. Getting one from Genos does not make sense .

I don't know what makes it the greatest but the Cummins pumps are the new style. Seems like should be $149 not $49, but either way, if one is concerned about their water pump and the dealer can't get them, just replace it with...something. Cummins, gates, Murray. Better then sitting on the side of the road with your hood up!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Someone had asked what happens when the water pump fails. I got bit by the bad water pump yesterday on my way home from work. 77,000 miles on the truck. It seized and threw the belt when I was creeping along in rush hour traffic. The belt got all wrapped around the fan shaft and bent it. I lost all power steering and power brakes. In fact, it was worse than that. The steering was practically locked up and I had to stand on the brakes just to keep the truck from moving under idle. I hate to think what would of happened if I was traveling 70 mph or towing anything. It would have been very bad. Luckily I was able to get off the road and into a parking lot without incident. No lights on the dash to indicate overheating. So I got lucky there. I was so freaked, I didn’t think to flip the EVIC to the temp gauge to see how hot it got.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
Called the dealer and my truck's VIN was not on the list. Were some trucks not effected?

Depends on the year of truck. What is yours?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Genos garage has new style Cummins brand pumps for $49.95, idk why they’re so cheap, and gates pumps for $68. Not sure why one would even wait to do it.
I can’t drive to the dealer and back twice with 2 vehicles for that much. Not to mention the time spent dicking around with the dealer.
Worst cast $160 in the driveway = fixed. Still better than the dealer option imo.

Although your post is a month old, what convinces you Genos has the lasted and greatest water pump for the 6.7 ????? Dealers are on a waiting list for these pumps, yet Genos or whomever has them :h .

First notice of the recall, no pumps, and now in a very limited quantity for the recall. Getting one from Genos does not make sense .

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

That's what I figured too. I'd rather go to the dentist TWICE.

I just made a tool to release the belt tension. A 1/2 in breaker bar hits the fan and doesn't have enough travel. A shorter 3/8 bar with an adapter will work but it's not very long. This flat bar of steel with an 1/2 drive adapter welded in can be tied over toward the frame rail so one person can then go up top and work.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
Called the dealer and my truck's VIN was not on the list. Were some trucks not effected?

yes.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion