cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dad looking for family's first camper. Bunk vs. Rear living

826storm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, here goes my maiden voyage into RVing. I find it odd as 10 years ago I admittedly scoffed at the idea of owning a camper as I held steadfast to my opinion that the only real camping was done from a tent. Ha ha ha. Well, with age comes wisdom I guess (and usually better finances) and now I find myself wanting a camper in the worst way. I recently purchased some land here on the Cedar River in Iowa with electrical and water. Since this location is somewhat prone to flooding I really like the idea of having a camper there instead of a cabin. My family, friends and I spend a lot of time on the river in the boat and I just love the idea of having a camper backed up to the river with my boat tied up 20 yards away. Although it may sound like I'm rambling the intent of my setup in scenery is to explain my desire to have a rear living set-up even though I have 2 boys (age 7&9). I love the idea of that large back window with the recliners turned facing the river drinking coffee, watching it rain, ect. The bulk of my apprehension revolves around the almost unanimous opinion that if you have kids you want a bunk house. I have told myself (and my wife agrees) that we can easily manage sleeping agreements with the fold out couch and table. Or heck, my boys almost prefer during on an air mattress over there own beds. Anyhow I would LOVE to hear your expert opinions on this. Am I out of my mind our is the bunghouse trade off warranted for the bigger rear living room facing the river?

I have a 2007 Silverado crew cab 4x4 that is rated for 7500# for pulling.
35 REPLIES 35

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
826storm wrote:
Although it may sound like I'm rambling the intent of my setup in scenery is to explain my desire to have a rear living set-up even though I have 2 boys (age 7&9)...The bulk of my apprehension revolves around the almost unanimous opinion that if you have kids you want a bunk house. I have told myself (and my wife agrees) that we can easily manage sleeping agreements with the fold out couch and table. Or heck, my boys almost prefer during on an air mattress over there own beds.

That sleeping arrangement (couch and table) may work fine now, but in 5 years those gangling teenagers will want more sleeping arrangements and a little more privacy.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I know you are looking for a travel trailer, ...(still searching).

Keep in mind he has a 07 silverado tow limit 7400 lbs...Crew cab no less so his TW will need to be low low low...

Forget any 5th wheel...

Understand, but letting him know he might be able to find a side room bunk house in a TT version. I'm still searching. This is for an "idea" sake only. If it were not a 5er the floor plan would come pretty close to meeting his wants.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I know you are looking for a travel trailer, but here is a floor plan for the Coachmen Chaparral 390 QSMB.

If you notice, it does have the rear living room, and bunks on the side (although a fifth wheel, this is one good looking camper).

(Personally, I have an Outback 298RE with the full rear living room. Ideal for 2 people, but can sleep a couple kids in the living room if needed.)

Here's the Coachmen floor plan. I'm searching for an equivalent in a Travel Trailer version. (still searching).

Keep in mind he has a 07 silverado tow limit 7400 lbs...Crew cab no less so his TW will need to be low low low...

Forget any 5th wheel...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I know you are looking for a travel trailer, but here is a floor plan for the Coachmen Chaparral 390 QSMB.

If you notice, it does have the rear living room, and bunks on the side (although a fifth wheel, this is one good looking camper).

(Personally, I have an Outback 298RE with the full rear living room. Ideal for 2 people, but can sleep a couple kids in the living room if needed.)

Here's the Coachmen floor plan. I'm searching for an equivalent in a Travel Trailer version. (still searching).

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bunkhouse because we have 3 kids and it's been really great. If you don't mind making up the beds each evening and picking them up in the morning you can do other floor plans. But imagine every night, and every morning. When you and/or your significant other start moving in the morning and want some coffee, are you going to have to roust the youngsters to sit down? If you have to spend time inside, maybe its raining, how much "space" do you want? While its great to huddle around the dining table playing a game, it's also great for us to send the kids in the back so the adults can have a few moments of peace. We also have an outside kitchen which comes with many bunkhouses and we love that and use it all the time. I'm not sure how I'll function without it in the future if I ever downsize. I think in the future we will downsize when our kids are older and then I'll want a different configuration (maybe that window in the back!), but we really like our bunkhouse. The kids love it. They have a TV back there and sometimes we let them take a game system (that's off during the day, unless we're all inside).
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
826storm, I'm from CR originally. Where on the Cedar is your land located?
If you go with the Jayco you may want to check out Ketelsen's campers for a price also, they seem to be fairly reasonable.

They also carry the KZ line of trailers that have some decent floor plans.

Tough decision for you. Take your time and do as much research as possible before you make a choice. Try to attend a RV show somewhat close to you to get a hands on feel for anything you might be interested in. Good luck. Wireman

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
OH my.. Since I am patial to coachmen I see they make a similar and better model like the jayco.. The bunks are opened up more with no wall..

Wow.. I may go down to the dealer and look at this one...

Bathroom second entrance
585 hitch weight
4882 lbs dry
water 50
black 35
gray 35
Shoe storage wow!!!

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y5UnNt76Rk

The thing with the jaycos, and not sure why they do this is the black tank is only 22 gallon on the model I linked below..Yuk
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

DC8Captain
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Get a bunk house. Setting up and taking down the couch/dinette gets old, real quick.

Real quick.

It's okay for occasional use but, not every night. Plus, it gives your boys their own personal area.
They will like that.

I emphatically second that opinion.
Deb & Dale
2016 JayFlight 27BHS
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab
Colorado

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
IMO , and I have two kids , breaking down the coach and dinette every night for them is a pain... I only wish I had more truck to get a bigger camper... Especially a bunk house..

I have opposing couch and dinette. I hate the floor plans with the coach and dinette on the one wall slide...

IMO one of the best floor plans out there is this jayco 26bhsw.

Seperate rear door to the bathroom.. This alone sells its self..
( Youll see why when you go camping)
Outdoor kitchen..
Get this.. only 4815 lbs
600 lb TW

If I had your truck this is what I would want...

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-feather/26bhsw/
Mike L ... N.J.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
826storm wrote:
Yes, I definitely understand that reasoning and it is probably most practical but man, I just love the idea of sitting there in the back watching the river go by. Our river spot is only about 2 miles from our house so the overnight stays will probably be somewhat minimal. I work a really weird swing shift so this camper will also be an outlet for me to enjoy many of the days off I have during the week by myself down by the river. Ugh, I just can't decide. Ha ha ha

That's a good point but, wait until your boys realize how much fun it is and start asking to go camping on a regular basis. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Your looking at a heavy TW with those trailers although the jayco is about 150 lbs lighter..

The jayco is a 7500 gvw trailer... Comes in at 6000 lbs dry. Add all the stuff and propane and youll be up there..

I would look for something lighter unless you dont plan on towing it all over the place...

Plus when you put all the people and gear in the truck your tow rating goes down..

If you plan on towing with that truck to get the best idea of what you can really tow is to take the truck to a cat scale.. Fill the tank and put all the people and carg in it as you would go camping..

Compare those axle #'s weights with the axle weights on the door.. Simple subtraction.. This will tell you exactly what you can tow...
Mike L ... N.J.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned four TT's and the last three have been rear living. Love the views from inside.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have a great idea here. I would love to pull our camper up to the river and have the boat there. I too would be worried about the flooding as it seems like the Cedar is always flooding. I enjoyed our Jayco and it was decent quality. If you decide on a Jayco, I just wanted to let you know that RV one here in Des Moines will probably beat everyone's price. I went to RV One and then called Thompson and the price was not close. People actually come from all over the U.S. to pick up their Jayco in Des Moines from them. The only problem could be if you need local warranty service and the local dealer may not want to work on it since you didn't buy it there. I also wanted to say that we got rid of our first trailer after one year because we had to convert the dinette into a bed every night as the wife and I needed to sleep on it. You may not mind the dinette and sofa, but with my 10 year old and 6 year old, we sure enjoy that they have their own bunk and we have a permanent queen bed. Just my thoughts.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

826storm
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Few thoughts:

1. Converting the couch every night - no big deal. Converting the dinette every night - pain. Night time will come and you will always have to move things off the dinette. The tables are a pain to deal with - not difficult, just a pain. Cushions never fit easily.

2. You won't be able to sit in your recliners and talk into the late night with the kids sleeping right there on the couch and dinette.

3. At their ages, will the kids prefer to be in a tent with their air mattresses? Heck, you could build a lean-to for them, or even a tree house and they'd love sleeping there far more than in the trailer. Look outside the box for sleeping arrangements for them since it will be a stationary camp on property you own.

4. Personally, I never liked the bunks - even as a kid. I always felt claustrophobic in them. And the "private space" really isn't private. Also, when boys start growing, they GROW. You'll need to make sure you get a bunkhouse that will fit them in 4 years when that happens.

Very good insight! It's kinda wild you mentioned the tree house as I have one prebuilt already that's going down to the river when it warms up a bit. I guess I'm with you on the bunks being confining. Heck they even mentioned that when we went and looked at them each time. They have bunk beds now but prefer to sleep together on the bottom bunk in our house. As far as the late nights I have a somewhat "unideal" solution for that. I guess I'd just have them crash in our bed in the front until we decide to go to bed then have them come out to the front when we turn in for the night... Or maybe dad just passed out in the recliner! Ha ha ha, they're pretty comfy! I'm also sure they'll warm up to the idea of their own tent once the newness of the camper wears off. Thanks for your thoughts

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion it's really nice to have beds for everybody so you don't have to fiddle with the dinette or sofa every night and morning, which gets old quickly. There are actually some fifth wheel models that have a mid-bunk setup with a rear living area that would give you both features, but I'm not aware of any that would be close in size to what you could pull with your truck.

In your situation I'd go for a bunkhouse and then plan on setting up some comfortable chairs out under the awning to sit in while you drink your coffee. You could even add an extra awning to the back of the trailer if you really wanted to sit out on the back end of it under cover.

Just my two cents, but there's a reason bunkhouse models are popular with families.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB