cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealers lots are filling up

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers lots around Ohio/western PA are filling up with certain models. Not many heavy duty trucks but I'm seeing a few Chevy and GMC 2500's sit for weeks before being sold and a lot in the pipeline. 1/2 tons are everywhere. Monitoring black book trade and used retail values, they're dropping like a stone. The Dealers I have recently talked to are holding at MSRP on new with one willing to go below MSRP on a 2500 that has been sitting for over 6 weeks. Expect them all to have to start dealing again. Sales are down and dropping. No wonder if you've seen the prices at the grocery store recently and follow the number of companies announcing layoffs or hiring freezes.
151 REPLIES 151

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Travlingman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:

Please give this dealers name as he might have what I am looking for. I am also interested in these big discounts you talk of.

Just get on Autotrader and see who's offering discounts. Search nationwide and by lowest price for a specific model or keyword and the info appears right in front of you.
This thread is not going anywhere. Especially since the "expert" car dealer has chimed in....

I am wanting to see this dealer that Pbutler97 is talking about. No need to do a search when he has a dealer that has this many vehicles on the lot and is discounting.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were looking for a truck, not just providing a sarcastic passive aggressive reply to his post...
Carry on!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just travelled north on I-75 today... saw several auto-transport trucks heading south ... Two were carrying pickups, one SUV's ... that would be toward Orlando Florida. Same last time out, two weeks ago, same highway, saw several transport trucks heading south. So, some one is getting vehicles.

They were traveling ooposite from my direction across the divided highway, so can't tell you brand, but I think at least one today was Ford PU's ??
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve noticed the lots filling up around here as well. Watching football I noticed a couple of the OEMs were offering finance deals and small rebates, like 1000.00. So they’re seeing the handwriting on the wall also. My friends F350 is still at the Speedway since late Aug.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I missed that part of his quote. Having said that I agree with your statement.

I can google as well as most, and my money is on this information is not
really easily available to find.
Nevermind, who tf cares?

Maybe the car dealer guy has some "inside" numbers to share....those guys always seem to have "a guy" or "a hookup" or some other sales BS...

I recall Shinerbock claimed he had access to this information, but didn't reflect what I've been seeing. I do recall early 2020 right before the craziness started I was looking at some Wranglers and noticed that the Ram trucks on the lot were 50:50 gas vs diesel which is something I've never seen.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blt2ski
I've noticed used car dealers have a lot of stock. New dealers both used and new are on the low end. That could be because new dealers only want the cream of used trade INS to sell.

Diesel gas on 25-55 series trucks. Seems to depend upon brand.
Ram trucks are pretty high percentage of diesel. I have seen a reasonable number of 25/35 series rigs with hemi's.
Ford and GM.
Ford is top in the DW C&C rigs, cab and chassis. Depending upon owners, varies on fuel version. Large construction, Kewitt and Atkinson doing the new light rail. Appeared that ALL of the Ford rigs were gas, be the C&C, or SW crew cab pickups. State of WA DOT trucks I saw over last two days, also gas for same versions. Saw one 650 that was gas too.
Smaller construction companies with C&C rigs varied around 50-50. Both for pickups and C&C rigs.
Wrecker/tow rigs, 70-80% Ram Cummins. Rest Ford psd.
Saw a few GM 45/55 trucks. Don't have the visual what to look for to see if G or D fuel. Less than 10% of that size rigs that I saw.
That's my travels around Puget sound from Seattle south to Olympia, west and north to Bremerton to Tacoma.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:

Please give this dealers name as he might have what I am looking for. I am also interested in these big discounts you talk of.

Just get on Autotrader and see who's offering discounts. Search nationwide and by lowest price for a specific model or keyword and the info appears right in front of you.
This thread is not going anywhere. Especially since the "expert" car dealer has chimed in....

I am wanting to see this dealer that Pbutler97 is talking about. No need to do a search when he has a dealer that has this many vehicles on the lot and is discounting.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^So you don't agree that his info is legit, that's fine, but why denigrate the man and his prior profession? It doesn't help your case at all and is just another step backwards in treating each other w civility and respect.

My guess is he got the current inventory from a trade magazine and can be found w a quick ggl. It stands to reason that real data as opposed to anecdotal evidence would carry the day, but some how facts and reasoning are now just abstract concepts stretched to meet our particular world view.

Normal inventory is roughly 4 million units, and current inventory is just over ONE million. Anyone with a modicum of reasoning ability is going to say vehicles are in short supply YET there may be exceptions. As the buyers psychology turns negative it actually presents a buying opportunity for others in the face of tight supplies.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
FishOnOne wrote:

I can google as well as most, and my money is on this information is not
really easily available to find.
Nevermind, who tf cares?

Maybe the car dealer guy has some "inside" numbers to share....those guys always seem to have "a guy" or "a hookup" or some other sales BS...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Maybe it’s a regional thing, but our local auto dealerships certainly are still very short of inventory.

And I’ll call BS on the 2500 gasser comment. I’ve seen reports in the past from RAM that an astronomical % of their sales were Cummins. And you can see it driving around too. Regardless of brand, if it’s a heavy duty it almost always has a diesel in it.

There was a time when almost all Ram HD trucks were cummins powered, but in the last few years I've seen an increasing trend of Ram trucks with the Hemi badge on the truck and there's no denying that and now I see several every day. I spoke with the guy who was driving this cab and chassis truck about his hemi powered truck. He said that his company was transitioning to hemi's.

You can call BS but we now know Cummins is coming out with gas engines and it must be for a reason.

His statement wasn't that there are more gasser HDs sold today than in the past. I wouldn't argue that.

His statement was that gassers outsell diesel in 2500's "by a long shot".

You are going to claim that as well?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Maybe it’s a regional thing, but our local auto dealerships certainly are still very short of inventory.

And I’ll call BS on the 2500 gasser comment. I’ve seen reports in the past from RAM that an astronomical % of their sales were Cummins. And you can see it driving around too. Regardless of brand, if it’s a heavy duty it almost always has a diesel in it.

There was a time when almost all Ram HD trucks were cummins powered, but in the last few years I've seen an increasing trend of Ram trucks with the Hemi badge on the truck and there's no denying that and now I see several every day. I spoke with the guy who was driving this cab and chassis truck about his hemi powered truck. He said that his company was transitioning to hemi's.

You can call BS but we now know Cummins is coming out with gas engines and it must be for a reason.

His statement wasn't that there are more gasser HDs sold today than in the past. I wouldn't argue that.

His statement was that gassers outsell diesel in 2500's "by a long shot".

You are going to claim that as well?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
My bad - wrong post

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Ford dealerships within 15 miles of me. One has no Super Duty trucks the other has 1 F250XL. Combined, they have 10 F150s, and 2 F150 Lightnings. As of the first of October, there was still close to 30K ford trucks parked at the Kentucky speedway awaiting chips.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And public service message…
Announcing to the world (internet) that you’re a car dealer is sort of like announcing you sell life insurance policies or buy 1 get 3 free c rap on late night TV. It doesn’t boost the average person’s opinion of you.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
New vehicles are still pretty scarce on the ground in Los Anchorage...that being said, the Chevy Dealer (across the street from work) now has about 10 new pickups (1-2 1500's, the rest 2500 / 3500) on the lot vs. 1 at 6 months ago. The Ferd dealer (pass it twice a day) has an increasing # of 150's, maybe increasing 250's 350's, but they were never as low as the Chevy so hard to see if there's been a big increase.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Travlingman wrote: