Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Def Fluid LIfe

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
My 2013 Duramax has been sitting in my garage since last Oct. Should I be worried about the DEF fluid degrading and possibly causing problems when I hit the road this month? Couldn't find much info about it thus far. They say the shelf life is 2 years but not sure if that applies after it's put in the truck. I've been using Blue Def from Walmart. I think the garage temp briefly got below 30 as the lowest temp.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
43 REPLIES 43

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
wtmtnhiker wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Hi all,
My 2013 Duramax has been sitting in my garage since last Oct....

Diesel fuel prices are the best they've been in a long time! Get out and go for a drive in that puppy! Flex it's muscles! Keep it a happy truck!

ha ha I will soon. Never been driven in winter, never seen salt so I'll wait a while yet. Only use it to tow my 5th wheel trailer RV. Thanks for all the feedback, I feel better now

That's awesome for the truck and the next owner of it! However in the meantime, you'll be fine. BUT just like any other vehicle, there are prudent things to do if it's going to be mothballed for a long period of time. DEF is now one of those considerations, and the 6-8 months your truck is sitting is likely not a deal breaker def wise, but in select cases it's going to cause issues if parked for a long time and certain conditions are or aren't met.
The easiest and BEST way to prevent issues is to drive the vehicle.
Like your truck, even though you're treating it with kid gloves, find a dry day and go run the snot out of it. It will make you and the truck feel better!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
You will only be able to buy DEF over the counter with ID and will be limited to how much you can purchase at one time.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I wonder if those people who stole the DEF from Wall Mart were looking for new way to make Meth. It seems they are constantly trying new chemical we average people use on a daily basis so they won't get caught in any radar.

Yesterday is was amphetamines, today they tried DEF, who knows? Tomorrow they may try Crest Toothpaste! (I'm just guessing here.)

If the crack-heads did find a use for DEF in their illegal doings, it would be hilarious. What would the government do next so we could get DEF, a fee-based license to buy DEF?

You'd need a prescription from your dealer to buy it and could only get it from Walgreen's.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I wonder if those people who stole the DEF from Wall Mart were looking for new way to make Meth. It seems they are constantly trying new chemical we average people use on a daily basis so they won't get caught in any radar.

Yesterday is was amphetamines, today they tried DEF, who knows? Tomorrow they may try Crest Toothpaste! (I'm just guessing here.)

If the crack-heads did find a use for DEF in their illegal doings, it would be hilarious. What would the government do next so we could get DEF, a fee-based license to buy DEF?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Count me as one who prefers to purchase DEF from a container. My truck has 87k miles and no DEF or emission related problem to date.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Claude_B
Explorer
Explorer
Well, i'm not surprised at all about DEF jug fill up with water at WM. I did happen to me, not with DEF but with a printer ink cartridge. The box was resealed perfectly (can't tell it has bee open) but the seal of plastic inner container was open and the cartridge empty.

So let me tell you that by now on, I open the box in front of the teller at the cashier every time I purchase a ''new'' cartridge...

And you should do the same about DEF jug. Open the jug and smell it. DEF is DEF.
Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I just did the math on Bulk vs. sealed jugs from WM at todays prices.
For my truck which has used a little less than a gallon per 1K miles over the last 60K,,,,It works out to less than 60.00 over 100K.

For me. It's a no brainer. WM is close to me, and they are everywhere on the road, and the jugs are sealed with date/production codes on them.
I wouldn't know where to go in town to buy it in bulk... Probably have to drive a ways just to get it.
Everyone looks at risk differently. Sooo.

YMMV.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Pilot/Flying J's have it in bulk at semi fuel pumps. Here in Syracuse, I think it was around $3/gallon at Pilot. Can fill the pick up here, but not the VW. Have to fill jug up at pump, pour into another bottle and then into VW's tank. Bit of a pain, but far cheaper than VW dealer.

The last DEF I bought at WM was 8-9.00 for 2.5 gallons. Considering the LOW consumption rate our TVs have, the money saved by buying at a bulk station isn't much.

Our DEF systems are designed to quit if there is something wrong with the DEF. This will result in the TV going into limp mode at a minimum. Then a trip to the dealer, and possibly some very expensive repairs.. There is no drain in the DEF tanks. It has to be removed to dispose of bad DEF.

There are many things that can do wrong in a bulk purchase.
I prefer to use the sealed jugs that have production/dste codes.

IMO, the risk reward ratio is just not favorable enough for buying in bulk.

Meh, do you buy the sealed cans of premix gas by the qt for $8.99 for your weed whipper, or do you dump some 2s oil in a gas can and hit the local Kum n Go for a gallon of "bulk" gas?
Same concept. LOTS of big rigs burnin up tons of def and refilling every day.
Yes buying sealed, fresh def is pretty much a sure thing, but stopping at the def pump at a flying J is too!
I'm the guy that buys the freshest milk in the fridge, but if I get a gallon that's 2 days older I still drink it!

The risk reward of screwing up a 200.00 weed whacker vs. a 60K truck isn't even in the same universe.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Pilot/Flying J's have it in bulk at semi fuel pumps. Here in Syracuse, I think it was around $3/gallon at Pilot. Can fill the pick up here, but not the VW. Have to fill jug up at pump, pour into another bottle and then into VW's tank. Bit of a pain, but far cheaper than VW dealer.

The last DEF I bought at WM was 8-9.00 for 2.5 gallons. Considering the LOW consumption rate our TVs have, the money saved by buying at a bulk station isn't much.

Our DEF systems are designed to quit if there is something wrong with the DEF. This will result in the TV going into limp mode at a minimum. Then a trip to the dealer, and possibly some very expensive repairs.. There is no drain in the DEF tanks. It has to be removed to dispose of bad DEF.

What things specifically can go wrong? Semis get DEF at fuel pumps. We have bulk DEF at work for our semis. Handle clicks off when full just like a fuel handle does. All the truck stops turn over DEF at a good clip and I'm willing to bet they don't want any complaints w/ their set up, so they keep things in good shape. Is bulk DEF for everyone? No. It's more of a convience thing if possible. But I'd like to know what problems exist w/ getting DEF at truck stops.

Semis use a LOT more DEF than our trucks. So the dollar savings is a lot more, and it's just not practical to fill those large tanks with DEF from jugs... Time is money for them.
Our trucks DEF systems are not equipped with any filters, or any way to drain bad DEF that may find it's way into the tank. I am pretty sure that the big rigs systems are different in this regard.. I do know for a fact that their DPFs are seviceable... Ours are not.
Buying in bulk, you really don't know anything about what you are getting. Did they have an old tank sitting around that didn't get rotated? It happens. They won't take the loss. They will sell it. The big rigs will use it so fast that it won't be a problem... Some of our trucks may have that DEF in the tank for over a year... When it goes bad, then what? A tow to the dealer and an expensive bill.

Handling can be a problem at bulk stations. An employee may accidently get some dirt etc. into the bulk tank when switching lines.. The public pump handle may have been dropped in a puddle by a previous user etc.
With no filtration system in our trucks.. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

As for money savings... It's peanuts. A few years ago I figured it out at about 150.00 over 100K miles. One instance of contaiminated DEF can cost many times that.

And the price differnce has shrunk quite a bit since then.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Searching_Ut wrote:
For my 2015 Ram, shelf life of the DEF doesn't seem to be an issue. The truck goes through it so fast there is no way it will ever get Old, especially when you don't want to fill the tank all the way in the winter because of freezing issues.

One good thing about the Rams is you don't have to worry about busting the def tank if you freeze a full tank of it. They have enough expansion room.
Fords otoh WILL bust the tank if full and it freezes hard.
Had a fleet of all big 3 diesels in the Arctic last year and the above theory was proven multiple times up there with daily hard freeze thaw cycles on the def for months on end.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Huntindog wrote:
ACZL wrote:

Meh, do you buy the sealed cans of premix gas by the qt for $8.99 for your weed whipper, or do you dump some 2s oil in a gas can and hit the local Kum n Go for a gallon of "bulk" gas?
Same concept. LOTS of big rigs burnin up tons of def and refilling every day.
Yes buying sealed, fresh def is pretty much a sure thing, but stopping at the def pump at a flying J is too!
I'm the guy that buys the freshest milk in the fridge, but if I get a gallon that's 2 days older I still drink it!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
ACZL wrote:

What things specifically can go wrong? Semis get DEF at fuel pumps. We have bulk DEF at work for our semis. Handle clicks off when full just like a fuel handle does. All the truck stops turn over DEF at a good clip and I'm willing to bet they don't want any complaints w/ their set up, so they keep things in good shape. Is bulk DEF for everyone? No. It's more of a convience thing if possible. But I'd like to know what problems exist w/ getting DEF at truck stops.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
For my 2015 Ram, shelf life of the DEF doesn't seem to be an issue. The truck goes through it so fast there is no way it will ever get Old, especially when you don't want to fill the tank all the way in the winter because of freezing issues.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
The Walmart - DEF story sounds like they typical Walmart internet stories that constantly circulate. Like Walmart only sells defective ammunition that doesn't meet specifications which is why they can sell it so cheap. Guns at Walmart are cheaper because Walmart buys guns that fail specs. Walmart paint is cheaper because it's mixed with water so it's thinner and diluted. Food at Walmart groceries is food the major chains throw out.
These and a lot more always make the rounds yet no one has ever come up with an actual report to confirm it. It's always "I heard..." or "My neighbor knows a guy who had it happen to him...."
But it must be true. It was on the internet.

Just proves that common sense isn't common. Some people will believe any story. P T Barnum was right.
Camped in every state