cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEF Math

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The owner's manual says my truck has a 5.5 gal DEF tank. I waited until I was down to 1/4 on the gauge, just above the red zone, and added a 2.5 gal box of Blue DEF from Advance Auto. Now the gauge reads FULL to the top.

So the gauge must be set to give you a long warning zone to keep you out of limp mode. This is only my 2nd time adding DEF so just getting used to all of this.

Also interesting is that the DEF I got said "Blue DEF" but the Peak brand is gone, and so is the manufacture date. No date or code of any kind on the box or the container so no way to know how old it is. With tax it was $15 for 2.5 gals, so $6/gal. Probably last time I'm buying it at Advance.
36 REPLIES 36

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have it at Costco? Thanks for the heads up on that!

Lantley how do you know if you're out of DEF without a gauge?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You Ram/Dodge guys are fortunate enough to have a decent place to fill your DEF and maybe even gauges!
The fill for my Chevy is under the hood and there is no gauge.
I try to fill at the pump just because its much easier than filling from the box under the hood
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Blue is $10 at Costco and that's what I've been buying lately because it's the most convenient. It's only a buck a gallon more than buying it at the pump.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
The owner's manual says my truck has a 5.5 gal DEF tank. I waited until I was down to 1/4 on the gauge, just above the red zone, and added a 2.5 gal box of Blue DEF from Advance Auto. Now the gauge reads FULL to the top.

So the gauge must be set to give you a long warning zone to keep you out of limp mode. This is only my 2nd time adding DEF so just getting used to all of this.

Also interesting is that the DEF I got said "Blue DEF" but the Peak brand is gone, and so is the manufacture date. No date or code of any kind on the box or the container so no way to know how old it is. With tax it was $15 for 2.5 gals, so $6/gal. Probably last time I'm buying it at Advance.

$7.88 in my area and that's all I use. The pump Def is cheaper but not convenient in my area.

The Walmart house brand is about $9 and it is just a generic chemical that most people seem to think makes all brands equal.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DEF is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.

Brand shouldn't matter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Buy from the pump at truck stops. Not only is it fresh and stored in a cool place to last longer, but is also only costs about $2 per gallon.

My dealerships sells DEF. I can tell you that most of it sits out in a hot warehouse or in a hot semi-trailer for ages before being put out in the showroom which lowers the shelf life.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:

The Walmart house brand is about $9 and it is just a generic chemical that most people seem to think makes all brands equal.