Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delamination

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Just noticed that I have some slight delamination happening on side of trailer right above wheel. It is about 6-7" long . I have had the roof and seals inspected each year that I have own the rig ( bought it new in 2016). It is out of warranty and the extended warranty does not cover it. How concern should I be? Do I need to raise hell with FR? I can't believe that a 2 yr old unit would experience this so soon.
18 REPLIES 18

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Camper G wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
We've seen some high end 5th wheels with delamination at fairly young age. We ordered our current trailer with stick and tin to avoid the big D. I don't know of any other way unless it's garage kept.

Agreed and why I have a 29 yr old rig. Aluminium sides and one piece aluminum roof, still going strong and looks good. There are pros and cons to each though. It depends on what you put a priority on.

Do the new coachmans with the adzel under the fiberglass delaminate? I've heard good things about them.

How do you like your jayco hannibal? I'm looking at the Jay flight 26bhs possibly in a few years. Thanks.

Our 2017 Jayflight 28RLS is our third Jayco. For the money, I believe they're a tad above the others we've looked at in the same price range. I like the wheelbase for towing stability. Two thirds of the trailer is in front of the axles. We got the optional 2" factory receiver for our bike rack out back. the full 80" queen bed and large shower is a big plus for my 6'2" frame. The rack and pinion slide mechanism is a must. I won't own a cable driven slide. Jayco makes their own furniture and it's been very good quality in our experience. In two years, we've had a water drip from the hose connections behind the shower faucet. I fixed that with some hose clamps and 3M 4200 sealant rather than hassle with the dealership under the two year warranty. Other than that, it's been trouble free. Not perfect but trouble free.

Thanks. That's good to hear. I was concerned since they were bought out by Thor. Do all jaycos have that slide mechanism you spoke of? I was Looking at floor plans today and liked the 28bhs i believe it is. I've never owned a trailer with slides and its a concern, but i may yry one. They do reallt open things up inside. I just worry about leaks and slide issues....that is why i waa leaning 26bh. We like that floor plan also. Coachman makes a Catalina with that floor plan also.

I like the jayco as the jay flight has nice features like black tank flush, roof ladder, 80g fresh water capacity, plywwod on roof and not osb, etc...
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
We've seen some high end 5th wheels with delamination at fairly young age. We ordered our current trailer with stick and tin to avoid the big D. I don't know of any other way unless it's garage kept.

Agreed and why I have a 29 yr old rig. Aluminium sides and one piece aluminum roof, still going strong and looks good. There are pros and cons to each though. It depends on what you put a priority on.

Do the new coachmans with the adzel under the fiberglass delaminate? I've heard good things about them.

How do you like your jayco hannibal? I'm looking at the Jay flight 26bhs possibly in a few years. Thanks.

Our 2017 Jayflight 28RLS is our third Jayco. For the money, I believe they're a tad above the others we've looked at in the same price range. I like the wheelbase for towing stability. Two thirds of the trailer is in front of the axles. We got the optional 2" factory receiver for our bike rack out back. the full 80" queen bed and large shower is a big plus for my 6'2" frame. The rack and pinion slide mechanism is a must. I won't own a cable driven slide. Jayco makes their own furniture and it's been very good quality in our experience. In two years, we've had a water drip from the hose connections behind the shower faucet. I fixed that with some hose clamps and 3M 4200 sealant rather than hassle with the dealership under the two year warranty. Other than that, it's been trouble free. Not perfect but trouble free.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
Ashbourne wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ashbourne wrote:
Hi
Am I right in assuming that you were only given a two year manufacturers warranty on your trailer. Is this common practice in the USA.
Surely to suffer so quickly with delamination renders the trailer completely “unfit for purpose “
I have just bought a Euro TT it comes with one years free servicing, 3 years warranty on parts and 10 years warranty against water ingress, this is fairly common practice and shows a certain amount of manufacturers confidence in there products.

How about please posting a link to their sales literature, maybe a picture, and the selling price?

Link to Lunar Warranty
Read through. I took the 10 yr option
Cost £32000 inc extras

[img][/img]

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say another possible cause is use of the TT during cold weather and not exhausting out moisture laden air. Moisture in interior air will migrate through the insulation to the outer skin and condense on the cold surface. RVs don't have a moisture barrier on the interior side of walls & ceilings like buildings are required to have.

If the TT is a FR product, it can't be a Cougar as their parent co. is Thor. A letter to the Trailer Life mag. could be another option. You might also inquire on the FR forum if you haven't already.

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ashbourne wrote:
Hi
Am I right in assuming that you were only given a two year manufacturers warranty on your trailer. Is this common practice in the USA.
Surely to suffer so quickly with delamination renders the trailer completely “unfit for purpose “
I have just bought a Euro TT it comes with one years free servicing, 3 years warranty on parts and 10 years warranty against water ingress, this is fairly common practice and shows a certain amount of manufacturers confidence in there products.

How about please posting a link to their sales literature, maybe a picture, and the selling price?

Link to Lunar Warranty
Read through. I took the 10 yr option
Cost £32000 inc extras

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
Just because the upper roof seals are good, don't mean the lower (around the wheel wells are). I bet you have water intrusion from road spray while driving in the rain.

Or it could be a leak from anything mounted on the wall above the wheel well like a window. Water seapage around window frames is very common.
2010 Suncruiser

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Just because the upper roof seals are good, don't mean the lower (around the wheel wells are). I bet you have water intrusion from road spray while driving in the rain.

Oh how I know that scenario. Forest River is notorius for allowing the outer Luan layer of the laminated wall to protrude around the plastic wheel liner with no sealant or missed sealant. It will wick water up like a sponge when towing in the rain. If you qiestion it they'll most likely say its by design, and has been sealed with some type of sealer. It must be an space age invisible copolymer miracle product. At least thats what I was told by Rockwood on the first trailer we ordered and refused to buy when it arrived. Imagine my surprise when the second one they shipped was sealed a lot better but still had a missed section, and it was done with real sealant that you could actually see the 2nd go around.

Call them up and raise hell in a civil sort of way, and you just may get them to do something about it, or you may not. On the brand specific boards after warranty good will repairs by them depends on which way the wind is blowing, or how close we are to the full moon, or something.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ashbourne wrote:
Hi

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like your best hope is to contact the manufacturer and see if they will do anything about fixing it.

If not I believe you are on your own.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bother had delmanation on the back wall of his 5th wheel. The local guy removed the interior walls to find the studs then used screws from the outside to fix the problem. The screws had plastic caps on them that are an exact match for the color of the rig. Because the screws/caps are in a straight line you don't even notice them.

I don't know if this will work for you but, I thought I would mention it in case it does.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your trailer manufacturer, sounds like Cougar, and send them pictures. I had a Sabre with delamination and was about 2years old but out of warranty. They had me bring to the factory and replaced the walls with new graphics. All for free. The worst they can say is NO.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo