cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Denali Highway trip report with photos

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are back with a camper again. Sold the Eagle cap and bought a 5th wheel, when that got totaled the wife and I both said we wanted our Eagle Cap back. Well we bought a 2015 Arctic Fox 990.

Our first weekend out was the 3rd through the 7th of July. We went to our normal 4th of July area the Denali Highway here in Alaska. This highway is around 130 miles long and about 100 miles of it is dirt. It's not a bad road, but can get a few pot holes (1000s per mile or at least it seems). Weather was great and temps hit into the 70's everyday.

Camper was awesome, everything performed up to and exceeded our expectations. We also was trying out a 150 watt Solar panel from Zamp Solar. The panel and the 30 amp controller worked great, and we never started the generator even once. We may not have used much of the lights but the fan ran most of the day along with a few other small draw items.

Here are a few of the pictures.

The new camper, not a great pic, but the only one I took of a side view.

Front view.

Scenery pics.

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog
23 REPLIES 23

Stanbiker
Explorer
Explorer
We were there also.

It was really nice weather and the fishing was great, aside from the high water.

I have to admit, that driving there makes me think about buying a 4 wheeler...

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
ace44 wrote:
Live Band... that's awesome, guess I should have stopped over there and seen what was happening.

They have had a live band and free BBQ every 4th for a few years now. We rode the ATV's 10 miles down the highway to enjoy the fun.

Thanks again for sharing your pictures with everyone!!! The Denali highway has the best scenery in all of Alaska due to the unobstructed views with very few trees and brush along the way.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
jamminalong wrote:
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing!!

The babyQ is a great grill, just used mine tonight.

I don't even use the large grill at home anymore with the babyQ. I love it.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
I also spent the 4th on the Denali Highway. I camped near Windy Creek and rode ATV's on Valdez Creek trail, Windy Creek trail, Butte Creek trail, Seven Mile Lake trail, a trip to the Sluce Box just west of the Big Susitna River, and had an awesome BBQ with a live band at Alpine Creek Lodge friday afternoon/evening.

Live Band... that's awesome, guess I should have stopped over there and seen what was happening.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
GaryT wrote:
I also spent the 4th of July weekend up on the Denali Highway. High water made for poor fishing, but still the scenery was fantastic.

Your right, the water was a little high for July. Most fishing was tough at best, but a few still hidden areas produced some awesome fish. Sure has gotten busy the last few years on the highway.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful Photos, Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed your trip. I haven't been to Alaska since the 50th Anniversary of the Alaska Highway in 1992. I need to plan a trip up there again. Of all the places I have visited only once, Alaska is the place I want to visit again the most.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very nice.

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing!!

The babyQ is a great grill, just used mine tonight.
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I also spent the 4th on the Denali Highway. I camped near Windy Creek and rode ATV's on Valdez Creek trail, Windy Creek trail, Butte Creek trail, Seven Mile Lake trail, a trip to the Sluce Box just west of the Big Susitna River, and had an awesome BBQ with a live band at Alpine Creek Lodge friday afternoon/evening.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

GaryT
Explorer
Explorer
I also spent the 4th of July weekend up on the Denali Highway. High water made for poor fishing, but still the scenery was fantastic.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pics and thanks for sharing them with us. Never have been up there but plan to do so someday.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures. Someday we want to go back because once there, you never come all of the way back home.
magic43

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
Alfred622 wrote:
Your photos either belong on premium PostCards or on the cover of National Geographic - they are fantastic!

Thank you. I took over 500 pics in 3 days and those were pretty much the best I have.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Your photos either belong on premium PostCards or on the cover of National Geographic - they are fantastic!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....