cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diamond Plate Tool Box

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Since I've pretty much reached my wits end on this topic, I figured I'd post here to see if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a diamond plate tool box for my truck....but not so simple. I want it to be a flush mount (since I have a bed cover) and I want it to be 16" width or less. It doesn't need to be as tall as the bed sides. The only ones I've found that meet these requirements have 2 big protruding twist handles on top (ie UGLY). I don't mind straight diamond plate or black. Help!
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs
28 REPLIES 28

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know there are a lot less expensive products out there. For those who want the best this is a box worth looking at. It is 30" front to back had a sliding tray, narrow storage at the bottom front and is completely lined. This company makes boxes for truckers also. They have a complete line for pickups. Not cheap at $1,000.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Deflecta-Shield box that is diamond plate aluminum and mounted in the front of my bed similar to what you want. And I also have a soft cover over the bed. I believe that Lund International bought out Deflecta-Shield as I looked on Amazon and see Lund boxes similar to mine. You might look there as Amazon has many different models.

greenenvy1
Explorer
Explorer
I ran these pork chop boxes under a soft cover for a bit. Made by Delta.

1990 Jayco 250 Special pulled by
2008 Ram 5500 QC, 84" CA, DRW, 6.7 Cummins

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Weatherguard that is flush with the top of my box and it comes in 56" & 62" wide units. It hold my 2 Honda Generators and 2 - 2 gallon gas cans.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The same place that sells truck tool boxes in my area also sells the bed covers and I would expect them to know how to integrate the two.

There are combo fuel tank and tool boxes being sold and you would lose tool storage but gain in fuel capacity. There are also tool boxes sold that mount rear of the wheel wells which makes access easier and these will not interfere with anything.

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2015 F250 XLT. Went to Tractor Supply & found just what you are looking for. I installed it & have no problems. It clears the bed cover etc.

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2015 F250 XLT. Went to Tractor Supply & found just what you are looking for. I installed it & have no problems. It clears the bed cover etc.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flush mount like the one ur asking about, and I got it from lowes. I love it due to the ability of using my fifth wheel and the ability to still use my cover.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
wlstroud wrote:
Northern Tools and Tractor Supply have boxes that don't project above the sides of the truck.

Tractor Supply has their boxes on sale for a 20% discount now.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered mine from www.deezee.com - exactly what you describe. I got the black diamond plate that fits under my hard folding cover. Good quality now in second truck.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
Majorgator,

Have you considered the smaller boxes that go on the sides of the bed, between the front of the bed and wheel openings? They allow you to keep your entire bed length free of obstructions. The (possible) down side would be having one on each side, as opposed to a single cross bed box, which will hold longer items, if that is necessary for your needs. I am considering the side boxes for my two pickups, as keeping the whole floor length is nice, especially on my Super Duty, as it is a short bed.

I had not actually considered that until you mentioned it. Thanks, I'm gonna look into that style!!!

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Majorgator,

Have you considered the smaller boxes that go on the sides of the bed, between the front of the bed and wheel openings? They allow you to keep your entire bed length free of obstructions. The (possible) down side would be having one on each side, as opposed to a single cross bed box, which will hold longer items, if that is necessary for your needs. I am considering the side boxes for my two pickups, as keeping the whole floor length is nice, especially on my Super Duty, as it is a short bed.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
gijoecam wrote:
Gotcha... That was going to be my next question: How you planned to access it with a soft cover in-place. If it was mounted at the rear of the bed, a folding soft cover like an Extang Trifecta would work well, but up at the cab, getting the cover on and off could prove to be a challenge as the front mounting clips would be along-side the box... I'm not sure if a box that reaches the edges of the bed would work in that case...

My cover is an Extang Full-Tilt. The "hinge" runs along the front lip of the bed. There won't be any clearance issues as long as the box doesn't protrude above the bed sides. The box is mainly for small misc. tools I need for work and some little odds/ends. I don't expect to need any major access to it while the cover is in place, at least nothing that I couldn't get out with a half-opened lid. I currently have a small gangbox on casters that has to come in a out as needed (HEAVY), or a small Plano box which has now started to leak. A compact box is OK, since it won't be more than half-full at any time.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha... That was going to be my next question: How you planned to access it with a soft cover in-place. If it was mounted at the rear of the bed, a folding soft cover like an Extang Trifecta would work well, but up at the cab, getting the cover on and off could prove to be a challenge as the front mounting clips would be along-side the box... I'm not sure if a box that reaches the edges of the bed would work in that case...