cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I ruin my water heater, please help!

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and RVing. I recently purchased a Prime Tracer 24DBS camper and went on my first trip with my family. All went well considering it was our first one, we loved it. Fast forwarding 2 weeks, as we prepare for our next trip, I discovered the battery is drained, not sure how it happened since it has been parked in my driveway since we came back. Then, I just realized I did not turn off the electric switch for the water heater after I left the camping 2 weeks ago. Now I wonder if the heater was working on battery without the water connection after I left the camping (hence the drained battery) and its heating element has burned (due to no water connection). Should I prepare for cold showers in my next trip next weekend or these heaters are like house heaters that don't burn if if shut the main water valve?

Thanks in advance!
49 REPLIES 49

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
NErunner wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
NErunner wrote:
As for the battery, it has a date of May 2020 stamped on it, so when I bought the camper it was already 3 months old, probably standard? Anyway, I wonder if I should contact the dealer and complain that it's been draining all the time and try to get a new one using the warranty?

Batteries are usually excluded from warranty. They are considered consumables. Even if the warranty covers it, I doubt that they will replace it if it still tests as good, just because you ran it down. You would need to prove it was because of another manufacturer's defect that it was drained.

NErunner wrote:
Also there's a red light right at the front of the trailer frame just behind where the battery housing is located, it's always on when I have the power connected, anybody has any idea of what it indicates?

We need to see where the light is. My TT has a red light on the power cord that tells me if I have power from the pedestal.

Thanks, I'll see if I can take a picture of the red light and post here later.

I can't figure out how to post a picture 😞

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
My trailer battery is not connected to the house charger so I spent 15 bucks at academy for a littlesolar trickle charger. It works great as long as you can get sun on it. It store it in the propane tank storage cover and it’s always connected to the battery.

Good idea, thanks!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer battery is not connected to the house charger so I spent 15 bucks at academy for a littlesolar trickle charger. It works great as long as you can get sun on it. It store it in the propane tank storage cover and it’s always connected to the battery.

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
NErunner wrote:
As for the battery, it has a date of May 2020 stamped on it, so when I bought the camper it was already 3 months old, probably standard? Anyway, I wonder if I should contact the dealer and complain that it's been draining all the time and try to get a new one using the warranty?

Batteries are usually excluded from warranty. They are considered consumables. Even if the warranty covers it, I doubt that they will replace it if it still tests as good, just because you ran it down. You would need to prove it was because of another manufacturer's defect that it was drained.

NErunner wrote:
Also there's a red light right at the front of the trailer frame just behind where the battery housing is located, it's always on when I have the power connected, anybody has any idea of what it indicates?

We need to see where the light is. My TT has a red light on the power cord that tells me if I have power from the pedestal.

Thanks, I'll see if I can take a picture of the red light and post here later.

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Every 2-3 weeks you should be fine. I never drain from the water heater itself, because its easy to foul the threads on the nylon nut.

Are you Arlington, VA or TX?

Neither :), I'm in MA

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
I would not suggest doing either of those unless you have a guaranteed way to remember it's disconnected.

Well, since most of us have a power tongue jack, it would be really obvious when you can't hook up your tow vehicle...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
NErunner wrote:

NErunner wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every 2-3 weeks you should be fine. I never drain from the water heater itself, because its easy to foul the threads on the nylon nut.

Are you Arlington, VA or TX?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I'd recommend draining your water heater between trips, especially if you are going longer time periods between trips. I don't drain at the water heater, I simply open my low point drains and "burp" the water heater at the pressure bypass switch. It helps keep the pressure bypass switch from junking up with sediment/corrosion.

I open the low points and open the faucets in the bathroom to break the vacuum. All that water drains out the low point on the drive home. 8 years ago we got water from a campground that was likely from a well. Wife got really sick while pregnant and we took the summer off from camping. That water sat stagnant all summer long and stunk to high heaven when we finally got back to camping that fall. Took a couple flushes with bleach and baking powder to get that sulfur stink out of the hot water tank.

Thanks, we plan to camp every 2-3 weeks spring to fall, so maybe we should be ok not draining the water heater between trips? I guess the winterization takes care of that issue for the off season?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd recommend draining your water heater between trips, especially if you are going longer time periods between trips. I don't drain at the water heater, I simply open my low point drains and "burp" the water heater at the pressure bypass switch. It helps keep the pressure bypass switch from junking up with sediment/corrosion.

I open the low points and open the faucets in the bathroom to break the vacuum. All that water drains out the low point on the drive home. 8 years ago we got water from a campground that was likely from a well. Wife got really sick while pregnant and we took the summer off from camping. That water sat stagnant all summer long and stunk to high heaven when we finally got back to camping that fall. Took a couple flushes with bleach and baking powder to get that sulfur stink out of the hot water tank.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, thanks again for all help, really appreciate it. I connected my house power to it and tested the water heater, it's working perfect! I'm relieved.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
LP gas detectors are most commonly 12vdc powered hot off the battery. Many CO detectors are AA or 9v battery powered, but not all.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer was full of it. There are enough little power drains on a TT to completely drain a battery in just a couple of weeks. Your battery is now permanently impaired (the amount of charge it will hold has been reduced). It might continue to give you enough juice for lights, fan, water pump, etc. for a day or two of dry camping, but it might not. If you prefer to camp with electric hookup, it'll be okay for that. Leaving it plugged into shore power or a small solar panel while in storage is generally considered to be the best way to go, but some folks do disconnect (and sometimes even remove) the battery entirely and it will then keep its charge for a couple months (but temperature is a factor, and also dirt on the battery top can transfer a trickle discharge).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also make sure the Television antenna booster is off. It is normally near one of the tv's and it is a small button. Mine has a very small green light when on.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Make a check list for breaking camp.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch