70 REPLIES 70

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
Farmerjon wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
Jaybird wrote:
Nope, had a Hudson Hornet

The fabulous Hudson Hornet. Do you know if it had the Twin H engine...dual carbs, 308 cube flathead six ? Great handler and moved with that big six.

Yeah they were really considered a hot rod back then. They competed with flat head 6's v8s and straight 8's and the stove bolt 6's ( chevys) They were a coveted car for us hot rodders that were broke and could only dream.

I can remember being about 8 years old, in Chicago in minus 100 degrees, and having Dad let me start the beast. Can still remember the color; brown with a tan top on top of the banana shape
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Dad was in WWII, was always a GM fan and told me to never buy a German or japan car, never have. Always listened to him and am glad I did.

Interesting. My dad also served during WWII and his brother was a POW in Stalag 17 and nearly starved to death. He had several German cars during his lifetime, but never bought a Japanese car.

I respect what they did, but 70+ years later I won't let it affect my decisions.

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
My first and second cars were Ford Mustangs. A 66 with a 289 and a 75 with a 302.

The 66 was indestructible and I drove it like any 16 year old would, two speeds, wide open and full stop. The 75 was a piece O crap, but it was the first or second year of "unleaded" gasoline cars.

All in all, I can't complain about a Ford, the few that I owned suffered a lot of abuse and kept on running.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Dad was in WWII, was always a GM fan and told me to never buy a German or japan car, never have. Always listened to him and am glad I did.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I grew up in a GM family. My mother worked at a GM dealer that later adopted Chrysler products for ~40 years. A Ford product has never made it into my parents garage all these years.

Funny because I currently have 2 Ford vehicles in my garage now.

So FishOnOne...where do you think you went wrong ? ๐Ÿ˜„

I suppose that early model Chevy Citation my dad bought my mother left a bad impression. JK...

Really I got introduced to the Ford diesel trucks from my wifes family and realized they were some really tough trucks. And they were always being worked hard with minimum maintenance.

Back in the '70's I worked as a truck driver. Most of the trucks were Fords. The engines were all gassers. I recall many of the Ford engines back then...very favourably.....such as the big block 460 V8 and 300 cube inline six. These two truck engines were torquey and very reliable. I was and still am a big fan of the Ford 385 series (460) and 300 straight six.

I also liked the 370 V8 I drove in an F 600.

The only Ford engine I had trouble with, was a 302 cube V8. In the 302's case, I think it was more of a case of an individual lemon, as this one engine had more problems than all the other Ford truck engines put together.

So all in all...the Ford trucks I've driven were very reliable, could take heavy commercial work (max and some overloads were not uncommon) and do all this reliably.

Les

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lessmore wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I grew up in a GM family. My mother worked at a GM dealer that later adopted Chrysler products for ~40 years. A Ford product has never made it into my parents garage all these years.

Funny because I currently have 2 Ford vehicles in my garage now.

So FishOnOne...where do you think you went wrong ? ๐Ÿ˜„

I suppose that early model Chevy Citation my dad bought my mother left a bad impression. JK...

Really I got introduced to the Ford diesel trucks from my wifes family and realized they were some really tough trucks. And they were always being worked hard with minimum maintenance.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Jaybird wrote:

The fabulous Hudson Hornet. Do you know if it had the Twin H engine...dual carbs, 308 cube flathead six ? Great handler and moved with that big six.

Yeah they were really considered a hot rod back then. They competed with flat head 6's v8s and straight 8's and the stove bolt 6's ( chevys) They were a coveted car for us hot rodders that were broke and could only dream.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaybird wrote:

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
My dad had a Ford when he met my mom. A 50 something, chopped. They owned a few over the years. My first was a 73 toyota Celica. My first Ford was a 66 Bronco. Have owned a few others since. I have 4 now. Two 79 Broncos, 75 f100 and my 03 F350.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

Fast0ne
Explorer
Explorer
Both my Parents have always had fords and still do drive fords.

I worked at ford for a year or so.

And I have never owned one after working for a dealer and seeing the issues with all there fords.
2013 Holiday Rambler 187QB
2006 Chevy Colorado Xtream Crew Cab I5 240hp 250ft torque

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Dad didn't seem to have much of a preference for Ford vs. GM. Had several of each growing up.

But he is not a Mopar fan, and has never owned one of those, in my lifetime at least.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from me, my whole family as far back as I know of has worked for GM. I was suppose to but didn't want to be a shop rat. All of them owned GM products over the years except when the folks got the trailer. Dad said Chevy's had coil springs and he didn't like the squishy feel, Ford trucks had leaf springs so that's what he bought until Chevy figured it out.

I have owned all three, mostly Fords though. The three we have now at 8, 11 and 12 years old are as dependable as any vehicle we have ever owned. The 04 F 150 has had nothing but oil changes and tires so far, I keep thinking it'll need a new battery but it keeps starting.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom and Dad had a couple of Ford coupes back in the fifties. I remember a Chevy Biscayne and Chevy Bel Air in the early sixties. Then he inherited a Rambler and a Caddy. He pretty much stayed with GM after that with a 68 Nova. Did not go back to Ford until 73 with a Gran Torino. I started out with that hand me down Nova then a 66 Ford Fairlane, 74 Gran Fury, Chevy Chevette, Malibu, Olds Cutlass Diesel, Misubishi Eclipse, Ford Mustang GT in 93. Couple of Pontiacs and then pretty much had Plymouth, Chrysler and Dodge since then. All were good cars except the Olds and Mitsu, major issues both of them.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky