cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

A diesel truck owner's battle with the state of New Jersey is leading to the scrapyard. Mike Sebold initially received a letter from the state's Department of Environmental Protection after listing his modified 2008 Ram 2500 on Facebook Marketplace. Officials took issue with the pickup's deleted emissions equipment and, in turn, told Sebold his truck must be returned to stock or taken off the road. But even after he turned in his plates, Sebold claims they've forced him to make an appointment with the crusher.

The Drive

Diesel Tuner Faces Year in Prison for Violating the Clean Air Act

The DOJ hit the founder of Spartan Diesel Technologies with one year and one day behind bars for selling emission defeat devices. That's on top of two million-dollar fines.

Road and Track
65 REPLIES 65

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
PButler96 wrote:
It sure is ironic that we have planet saving preachers on an RV forum who have the largest RV they could lay their hands on, which requires damaging the planet by the use of fossil fuels to drive or pull it, and most everything in or on it required fossil fuels to produce either directly or indirectly. Then they also have a need for all sorts of unnecessary planet killing fossil fuel burning toys like side by sides, Spyders, dirt bikes, you name it. Preach on.

Well it started back in the 60's, and in the early 70's the smog pumps went on and people deleted them. You would turn your car off but it kept running. Then came EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection)what a difference that made! Also solid state distributors, and now coil packs. All meant More power less polution and cars that went 100,000 miles before needing a tune up, not replacing points every 10K to 20K, along with plugs.

Diesels went from mechanical injection pumps and injectors, with a single shot of fuel, to common rail and electronic injectors with multi pulse injection. Makes for a quieter diesel and help make the crazy horse power we have today with a lot less pollution being created!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turtle n Peeps

not just bev's

https://youtu.be/iB-OTYpiAf0
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobmontana wrote:
I thought this was America!?

Yes it is. And to me the idea and ideals of Government of the people, by the people, for the people should mean we vote for people to pass regulations that will do the most good for the most people. The fact is clean air regulations have improved the life for a large majority of the population. And US regulations have helped worldwide.
IMHO, you should have a right to run the dirty exhaust you want, as long as that exhaust stays in your house.

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
I thought this was America!?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Heard all the same whining from anti gov peoples about the mean old govnmt mandated clean air/better fuel mileage back in the '70s/80s that resulted in doing away with the old gazz guzzling carbureted heavy pollution engines resulting in computer/FI engines that burn much cleaner.

Fed vehicle pollution rules are rules and there for good reasons. The Ram owner as other law breakers found out the hard way not following (any) rules can be costly.

I am on forums for Can Am Spyder three wheel motor cycles, Kawasaki KRX side by sides and now CFmoto ATV among others which all have the cat embedded in the muffler. Vendors post about their replacement exhaust systems and users brag about this one or that one(which do not include a cat). What part about what we are doing to the planet do people not understand????

Is it when your house is flooded, washed way, blown away or under the sea when a person wakes up?

I couldn't agree more, my 2001 would occasionally puff a little smoke, not my favorite thing. Our 2016 Ram 3500 you can rub the inside of the tailpipe and no soot.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Heard all the same whining from anti gov peoples about the mean old govnmt mandated clean air/better fuel mileage back in the '70s/80s that resulted in doing away with the old gazz guzzling carbureted heavy pollution engines resulting in computer/FI engines that burn much cleaner.

Fed vehicle pollution rules are rules and there for good reasons. The Ram owner as other law breakers found out the hard way not following (any) rules can be costly.

I am on forums for Can Am Spyder three wheel motor cycles, Kawasaki KRX side by sides and now CFmoto ATV among others which all have the cat embedded in the muffler. Vendors post about their replacement exhaust systems and users brag about this one or that one(which do not include a cat). What part about what we are doing to the planet do people not understand????

Is it when your house is flooded, washed way, blown away or under the sea when a person wakes up?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
Another great example of the gubmint trying to be involved in every single aspect of one's life. And morons keep voting for the morons who promote it.

From what I see we just get to vote for what part of our lives we want interfered with. And the ones that call it gubmint are willing to accept interference in the most basic issues, as long as they can be treated better than others.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
The guys deleting these newer trucks are crazy. There is plenty of power from the factory to pull anything they are rated for. Adding more will only break things and cost you more money.

For a lot of people its not about adding more power, its about getting rid of the garbage emissions systems that make the truck problematic. I was coming home from Florida earlier this year when my DEF pump went out on my Ram. $2800 to replace the pump... That is insanity. For less then $600 I could have had a tuner that wouldn't have increased my power but would have circumvented the DEF and made my truck much more reliable.

The truck ran fine... until the EPA mandated boondoogle threatened to put me in limp mode while towing, 600 miles from home.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
"Before the end of the year!!"

Wait a minute, weren't they saying that 4 years ago? 🙂

He didn't say WHAT year...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I had a 2008 Ram. People were telling me for years to delete it and put a tuner on it. I had to replace a turbo and the company I bought it from said I would need a minor tuner for it to run right. If I ran it on the lowest tune when not towing a heavy trailer it would clog up the emissions. With no tune it ran fine.
I sold it a few months ago with all of the exhaust intact.

The guys deleting these newer trucks are crazy. There is plenty of power from the factory to pull anything they are rated for. Adding more will only break things and cost you more money.

They're not deleting them for power.

They are deleting them to get rid of the "problematic" emissions equipment.

This is the reason, IMHO, that any truck smoking should be stopped and checked. If something has mal-functioned a fix-it ticket. Show court repaired, no fine. But if truck is modified, it ain't yours no more. 15 years now the manufactures have been selling "problematic" emissions equipment. If you buy one, and are not willing to deal with the problems, state should sell the truck to highest bidder that will keep it working right.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I had a 2008 Ram. People were telling me for years to delete it and put a tuner on it. I had to replace a turbo and the company I bought it from said I would need a minor tuner for it to run right. If I ran it on the lowest tune when not towing a heavy trailer it would clog up the emissions. With no tune it ran fine.

Everyone I know who talks about "deleting" wants to do it for power.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mkirsch wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:

That’s why he just schlepping along with a plugged up exhaust.
PS, many add power too.
A 90hp tune makes a little ole 370/800 motor much peppier. Yee haw!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
schlep1967 wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to one of my nephews in Jersey. Rolled coal, ticket, restored emissions, passed emissions, and paid ticket. He is a heavy truck mechanic, so it was easier for him than most. He now has a dedicated truck pull machine, but he actually competes. Tows the pull truck, with a street legal (I think!!!!) truck.