cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Lynn_Rupper
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to factor in the gas engine will last about 150/200k miles and the diesel engine will double that. All you have to worry about is will the truck components and body last that long.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 6spd manual
1995 HitchHiker II

Full-timer 1995 to 2009
Snowbird/extended RV'er 2009 to ?

SEMPER FI

Ron_O_Brien
Explorer
Explorer
well no doubt the diesel will get better fuel mileage -- however how come no one mentions the fact that to buy the diesel you will pay $6000.00 to $7000.00 more than a gas engine and I have read that it will take 80000 miles to recover this money-- also to maintain the diesel engine the costs are more,not to mention the smell and polution factor-- not the truck to just go downtown for the mail-- but a truck to be driven long and hard 12 months of the year.Not the average joe------

Toy-hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My last motor home was a 2004 Pace Arrow 35' with 2 slides everything including a washer and dryer. It was 23,000 lbs loaded and I hauled a 21' enclosed that weighed 5000 lbs. loaded. That is 28,000 lbs. flying down the road at 70 no problem with a chev 8.1 and Alison 5 speed. I love diesels and owned many including my new one. My old motorhome set up weighs as much or more than my new diesel setup and would run right with it. It's the RPM factor>
08 F-450 Red Lariat 08 KZ Inferno

FULL_TIMING_14
Explorer
Explorer
Now with the difference in cost between gas and diesel, it may be down to pure chioce of power. With the change to ulsd coming soon, who knows what will happen to the price and availabilty of diesel, much less what it might do to our power, fuel mileage and life of our high dollar, big power engines. I have to have one due to weight of our trailer. So this dicussion will never die.
2006 International 4400LP MDT, four door 2L custom conversion. DT570(9.3lt), 310 h.p. 950 lbs tq. 6-speed allison. Trailer-Saver air-ride hitch.
2006 Travel Supreme CL38KSTDB1
Moto-Sat Data Storm dish
2003 Mini Cooper S

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Yomper wrote:
In addition and slightly of thread anyone know what year GM started the Izuzu engine and Allison tranny production
thanks

The 6.6L Duramax diesel (a joint venture of GM and Isuzu, built in Moraine, Ohio) was first paired with the Allison 1000 transmission in the 2001 model year.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Yomper
Explorer
Explorer
In the Uk where I is right now and everything is diesel the London transport buses that seem to run 3 together or every other minute [I kid you not stand in Oxford street and you can see at least 25 buses at once]do not smell or blow smoke it is called city diesel and I am told its very low sulphur content.
In addition and slightly off thread anyone know what year GM started the Izuzu engine and Allison tranny production
thanks

afsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered an 05 and at that time there was no option for the 4.10. After I got the truck I towed our 36' 3 slides 5th wheel to Colorado and it was apparent why they did not offer the 4.10. I had all the power and gear I needed to pull the passes. We went up Lavita pass at 55 to 60 mph.

HDGasser
Explorer
Explorer
im looking into purchasing an 06' d-max, with the 6-speed ally, i was just looking through the specs in the brochures and it doesnt list, like the others do, the different tow ratings for 4.10 rear end??? does the 06 not have 4.10s as an option??? 3.73s are ok i guess but i was planning on going to a little bit bigger tire in the future and thought 4.10s would be better???? thanks for any info.

P.S. after the first time i drove the LBZ d-max and put my gasser up for sale ASAP! in my book theres no comparison
06 3500 Duramax(LBZ)/Ally CC/LB 4x4 DooLeY
De-badged, Tinted up, Smoked cab lights

FB2600 WW "Billet Edition"
Inside Hauler:
2006 YFZ 450 by Alba Racing
2006 YFZ 450 Bill Ballance Edition
1915 2-seater beater rail
P.O.S. 1992 Husky 610

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
You will be ....milage,range and power at low rpms...makes for a wonderful tow. For me I loved the diesel even before the first tow. My only aprehension was that it wouldn't live up to the hype. Of course it did and I'm still grinning every time we tow. I won't own another gasser.

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
My diesel truck has been ordered. It's funny as am still not convinced but maybe after the first weekend out I will be!

Toy-hauler, I'm currently doing 8mpg on a 20 gallon tank. ๐Ÿ˜ž
At best, I can do 375 hwy miles of daily driving unloaded.

Jack.
2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.

Toy-hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Firebird, I go with you as back up. If your first shot should miss let me take one.

7.5 - 8 mpg with a 29 gallon tank. I just get it up to speed and have to pull in for fuel. Now I have to spent another thousand to get a extra tank. My gas motor home had a 60 gallon tank and ran regular unleaded. By my house diesel is 2.87 and reg is 2.29 the fuel mileage advantage is loooong gone. (for now).
08 F-450 Red Lariat 08 KZ Inferno

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
I was a gas fan when I had my 7.4, but then thought I'd try the diesel thing, and wow what a difference when pulling hills, you don't really have to lean into the pedal, it just keeps going the same speed.My old gasser even had 4.10 gears, and it had a hard enough time, it had to start downshifting, and could only do 50mph going up some hills around here, but my Cummins can actually gain speed on the hill , and won't stop.I love it! It makes coming up to hills a pleasure now.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Also no mountains to climb =gas
Mountain passes regularly =diesel

Cat320
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line...

Lots of weight, lots of miles = diesel.

Less miles (especially), less weight = gas.

firebird
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry LimogesMan It would help if I paid attention to the names on earlier post. So your 150 does ok but the lease is up so the big question now what?

You are wise on going with a 3/4 ton. Me I would not go with a 8.1 or v10 because of mpg when not towing is horrible. The sb would pull your trailer as it does now but remember the truck will be slightly heavier so not as good towing performance. Then you have the diesel ๐Ÿ™‚ Now every one keeps saying that if you tow alot then diesel is the only way to go. I disagree If you plan on towing with this truck most of the time it is a toss up bb or diesel mgp when towing are only slightly better. I say if you only plan on towing on the weekends and a few week trips and using the truck as a daily driver as I do then diesel is the only choice. You get the most bang for your buck towing performance you cannot get from a current sb truck but the mpg of a sb truck when not towing.

Now which brand gm ford or dodge? Its a toss up me I am a gm man I like the look and the feel of their trucks but when it comes down to it I will buy the one I can get the best deal on.

Now from your post I think you already knew all this but for everyone else my additionl 2 cents

As for me and my house we will server the Lord and our next truck will be a diesel.:)
Eric, wife Laura, kids - Katherine, Joseph
01 Jamboree 26F class c
13 JKUR
03 4x4 F350 SRW LB 6.0 diesel - sold
00 4x4 3500 LB DRW 454 GMC - sold
05 2505 nomad 5er by Skyline - sold
98 4x4 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5L Chev
94 11ft weekender camper by skyline - sold