Diesel vs gas......................

Explorer

Re: Diesel vs gas......................

God I love this fourm..LOL. The big 3 in Detroit may say they build their gas drive vehicles to last 200k...rarely do you see that where I live. That's not saying that all the diesels do either, but I would warrant they tend to last longer simply due to the lubricating properties of the fuel - and yea I know that now with ULSD (<15ppm sulpher),that particular advantage is somewhat gone. However with the use of a min. 2% Biod blend, that issue is totally negated. Using a blend of 2% or better should in-fact allow much longer engine life.

for those interested in seeing some interesting, objective data on that: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

Maintenance is also part of the mix. I'm kinda religious about that.

As for BioD..at least it is possible for one with a bit of know how & mechanical aptitude to actually make it and use it. No engine mods required. @ .919 per Litre here in Canada (X 3.68 litres per gallon)...certainly worth investigating..

And BTW Bert it's not usually ethanol (grain alcohol), it's methanol that is commonly used. The other 2 ingredients are either NaOH or KOH (Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide). And yes it is a potentially dangerous operation. I would not argue that. But the reality is that by using common sense and a safety first attitude, it's no more dangerous than getting out of bed in the AM or driving to work. I imagine the same could be said about moonshine...not something I would want to try. Besides there's no bush around here to hide it.! seems if memory serves me correct that it's still an illegal operation to make moonshine..no.?

The gains of BioD are well worth it IMO. Running BioD is better for the environment, uses recycled waste veg oil and cuts my fuel bill in a big way. Making your own is sweet.!

whatever...I'll always be a diesel guy whether it's in a Duramx or a Jetta TDI for that sinmple set of reasons. At least for the time being one can have a handle on his fuel costs.

As for Mr sport..

Gasoline engines also easily adapt to natural gas, butane, propane, or hydrogen

..and just how many of these stations that offer these products are out there (propane I'll buy), but LNG/Butane/H2..? give me a break.! I live in a province that has the 2nd largest reserves of oil on the planet, along with very sizeable deposits of NGas..and we don't have LNG/butane/H2 stations, oh OK...1 LNG station in all of Calgary..not sure how many in Edm..whatever..not exactly a real comparison to Gas stations or a choice for that matter now is it.?

Okay, you win. The rest of us are just plain stupid. I'll go grab my pointy hat and sit in the corner now

well if you have the hat and feel you must..be my guest.! But understand "sport", I have not called you or anyone else stupid or got personal in any way shape or form. So kindly keep your condescending sacarsm to yourself capiche.?

we're just talking preference of diesel over gas, and hopefully in a civil manner...right.?

rgds,

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS