Diesel vs gas......................

Explorer

Re: Diesel vs gas......................

No jealosy here. I really don't care what anyone else buys or their reason for buying it. Diesel may be the best choice for you. For many of the folks still trying to decide it may not be. If someone wants a pickup to look sharp driving back and forth to work and might on occasion rent a U-haul trailer a half-ton should be fine. But there are some on this forum who would lead that same driver to a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel and all that would do is cost him money. Be honest now, do you think most diesel pickups are purchased by folks who need them? Or are most purchased so the owner can say they have one? Not talking about you, just want your opinion. (I consider "most" to mean more than half.)

Natural gas is an easy conversion for gasoline engines. I haven't checked into it in a while, but you used to be able to get a Fuelmaker compressor which would install at your house to refuel your vehicle overnight. There are several CNG stations in the Houston area. Hydrogen is still commercial only. The Orlando airport has a few H2 powered (Ford turbo-V10's) shuttle busses. H2 is in it's infancy as motor fuels go. There's not a lot of demand for stations because there aren't many vehicles. There aren't many vehicles because there's not many stations... It is doable though. Propane, I believe, is better than natural gas or H2 because it's stored as a liquid giving better energy density in storage. I've seen several propane powered garbage trucks running around the Ontario, CA area as well as other places. Propane works fine for a truck engine where they are driving a fixed route and the fuel can be bought in bulk. By comparison, there's probably not a lot of difference in availability of alternate fuels for gasoline or diesel engines.

we're just talking preference of diesel over gas, and hopefully in a civil manner...right.?

That's fine by me. I don't have a preference of gasoline or diesel. Every case has to be decided on it's own. I thought this was a comparison thread and we were talking about reasons, not preferences.

Oh, I tow (when I tow) with a '00 F250. Works for me...

Have fun on the road and more fun at the stops.

Later,
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk