cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
About the resale argument - the argument is of no regard if UNLESS one sells the diesel and goes back to a gasser. You pay the price to step up to a diesel, don't get it back unless you step away from the next diesel...

As for my family, about 8 more years of camping and the kids will all be in their teens and then everything goes, and I'll get a motor-scooter...
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

Full_Pull
Explorer
Explorer
Good point I forgot about the resale part of the pie.
And for all the Epa crud that didnot realy effect things till this past year and even then the new trucks are still getting geat mpg and come stock with more Tq than the ones built before the Epa realy cracked down.But like I said befor a little mod money goes a long way.
where
Iam at the Diesel is 4.86 per gal gas is 4.05 per gal
Pesonialy I would rather pay the .81cents diffrence and fare Much bette on trip and pass most going up a hill though the mnts with trailer in tow.
But thats just me like you said it takes all kinds just some are slower than outhers.
05 CTD Thunder rode, Xtreme Camo,preator/puck combo with quadzilla bost fooler,4.10's Pro-comp Xtreme M/T tires.
Airaid air box Isso gadge pkg,Mbrp exaust. 475 hp@ rear 910tq.
1 wife 2 kids 2 dogs 2 cats.

SKG
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Chip this . :B

If one compares identical daily driving plus RV towing on a like powered gas and DSL, I don't think operating a gas power unit is cheaper comparing fuel inputs.

In Canada diesel is 4 cents a liter more but most, I say most, diesel trucks achieve 20-30% better mileage.:C I already pay 5 per US gal currently so your link doesn't bother me.
My 07 Jeep GC 3.0 CRD eats my 2003 Jeep GC 4.7 HO in towing power and fuel mileage. The 4.7HO on average gets 150 miles LESS per tank compared to our CRD. My 07 5.9 CTD gets 18-21MPG where my good friend gets 13-17 MPG with 2006 8.1 Suburban but at least he has room for 8!

The up front cost on Jeep CRD is negligible, I think we had to pay for a sunroof etc and you get the diesel. The RAM is allot more but they last longer, have more power and the resale is higher to compensate for increase purchase price and that is no BS. Having said this its all moot, because one cannot compare the two without steadfast opposing views.:S

But hey that's why we have choice, one likes gas the other likes diesel and I like it that way! What else would I be doing on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Later days folks
2014 Silverback 37BH
2014 Ram Crew Cab 3.42 gears 370hp, 800tq

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
The diesel option is twice the price it was 5 years ago and they get less mpg with all the EPA emission stuff and diesel fuel cost much more than reg unl gas and that is no BS.

Full_Pull
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to chang your mind just trying to say that the old school diesel's are just that .
The new diesel's are totaly diffent than say your fauthers diesel.
Do your self a favior go get a copy of Diesel power mag and just look at all the diffrent options you can do.
You can add a water meth kit and lower your egt't and gain and extra 70 hp.
nothing to do with the fuel timing .
and I dont know many big blocks running big tq # that run 300k before any major motor work is neaded.
And thats no BS.
05 CTD Thunder rode, Xtreme Camo,preator/puck combo with quadzilla bost fooler,4.10's Pro-comp Xtreme M/T tires.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
No I was asking were you refering to a stock gasser. There is no doubt that diesels are designed for massive low torque and are efficient, but there are some modified gas trucks (big blocks) out there also that can run fast and pull a load. I am not taking away the diesel's reputation for power just addressing your claim that your truck is stronger and faster than ALL gas trucks. It is also good to look at the rpms an engine produces it hp/tq. If a diesel gets 1000 ft/lbs of torque at lets say 2000 rpm that is comparable to a gasser getting 500 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm because once you gear it to the same rpm (for the wheels) the gears in the gasser multiply the torque to be equal. That Hemi motor you mention can move their SUV to a tune of 13.8 seconds in the quarter stock. It was not that long ago that the only the fastest stock production autos were doing times like that. I do want to give you credit for the performance you extracted out of your combination though, as you pointed out getting more hp/tq out of a diesel is much cheaper and usually simpler with just electronics (programmers).
Full Pull wrote:
My truck is not stock.
Medum modifed but mostly a stock Diesel will still out perform any Gas truck.
IE:05 Dodge Hemi gas V8 345 hp and 375tq
05 Dodge Cummins inline 6 cyl 325 hp/610tq.
with light mods you can add additional 100 hp and 180pft at rear tires to the cummins for under $200.00
no way you can do that in a gas truck.
and get more mpg.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Full Pull wrote:
with light mods you can add additional 100 hp and 180pft at rear tires...
and get more mpg.

BS, you can't get 100HP more by using less fuel. Do you think when an engine is on a dino there is less fuel going into it as the rpm and power goes up ? :R

See you made the assumption both occurred at the same time. It is possible for a chip to add 100HP at WOT and modify the timing at lesser power levels to increase the MPG over normal everyday driving conditions. Sure if you have the chip cranked up to level 9 and your foot into it all the time, you'll have more power and your mileage will suck. I believe the OP meant you can set the chip to level 1 or 2 and enjoy better MPG then crank it to 11 when you need just a little more to push it over the edge than 10 can provide. But then that's just my assumption.:)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of the tweaks to a diesel DO help mileage, running more efficiently in normal driving.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Full Pull wrote:
My truck is not stock.
with light mods you can add additional 100 hp and 180pft at rear tires to the cummins for under $200.00
and get more mpg.

BS, you can't get 100HP more by using less fuel. Do you think when an engine is on a dino there is less fuel going into it as the rpm and power goes up ? :R

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone should be concerned with BOTH diesel & gas prices, even if you don't own a diesel.
The trucks that deliver our goods use diesel. The trains that deliver our goods use diesel. Diesel is used by most commercial transporters. When diesel prices go up, their fees go up. When their fees go up the cost of goods go up. THAT'S why we should be concerned about the cost of diesel.
Besides, I can't afford to pull my 5'er very far anymore.
As for the cost of gas going up, that's another thread...
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Full_Pull
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is not stock.
and get more mpg.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow what a statement. Are you speaking of stock or modified trucks?

Full Pull wrote:
I can out pull Any gas truck on the street or the strip.
And get 24 mpg. all day long.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

hotvet67
Explorer
Explorer
Camping with Cash wrote:
It has been what 20 days since I last posted.
NH gas $3.75
NH Diesel $4.50
Last night we test drove a 06' F-350 PSD. I hit the dumby computer to see what kind of mileage we could get on the test drive. 18 mpg. If that holds true, I would be all about becoming a diesel owner. I couldn't get 18 with my Hemi on the best of days around town. Well, maybe if that Ford was pushing me.
I am in the process of checking mpg with my Hemi. Results next week.
Tomorrow we are looking at a 06' Cummins.

Happy Camping,

Please Oil Companies - Raise the price of gas to match the price of diesel so we can all be in the same boat together , now i did it, flame on gassers .

Camp with Cash - You can get that 18mpg I have one 14 mpg hauling the 3500lb. TC under 65mph.
2004 Lance 845
2006 F350 PSD 4X4 SWB 20" Fact. Wheels
1967 corvette drag car