cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I tried to stay away, but I just can't help myself. I'm showing 227 pages! Jeez, I bet my V10 would be in the slow lane watching diesels whiz by pulling a 227 page thread! Nah, I'd still be gaining speed while the diesel crowd hit the "wall" as far as torque!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

blt2ski
I need NO more proof this thread is phun.....or is that fun!

I had not seen Bert post in what seemed like ages, and here is is, trying to stir up the pot again, with his HP is better the torque posts!:P:P:P:p

Sorry Bert, could not resist the jab!:B:B:B:B:B:B

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
But this thread is so much fun ๐Ÿ™‚

Bert

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Marty,

What more proof do you need?
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Now Ace got in the last word. He's the winner. On the other hand, I know Jeffrey Sparkman, and that's a big deal on the internet.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping it would die, but bluenote got the last word in!!! Congratulations, you're the winner!!!

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Marty...

For God's sake, end this useless thread!
Our Team

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
You all sound like a bunch of children that need sent to there room.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote wrote:
Devo the dog wrote:
bluenote wrote:
...Devo, thank you for joining the discussion. We appreciate your input.

Although the thanks is several pages late, you're welcome.
Actually, now that I've gone back and looked at some of your earlier posts, I retract my thanks and appreciation. People who need to insult others ruin their credibility.

You must be referring to this one and this one because the rest were obviously jokes and no worse than the other useless attacks in this thread.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote, I want to apologize. I didn't realize you would take, "You're 5'er must be pretty light weight" as a "thinly veiled insult(s)". It's not personal and I really don't care whether your 5'er is lightweight or not. Sorry if it hit a personal chord. I really didn't think the question was loaded or an insult. Again, my apologies. I'm sure your 5'er is plenty heavy for you and your truck.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
bluenote wrote:
...Devo, thank you for joining the discussion. We appreciate your input.

Although the thanks is several pages late, you're welcome.
Actually, now that I've gone back and looked at some of your earlier posts, I retract my thanks and appreciation. People who need to insult others ruin their credibility.
Our Team

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Ace! wrote:
You're 5'er must be pretty light weight.
Just like your thinly veiled insults. However, if sarcasm and rudeness is your solution to winning the argument, feel free to keep doing so. If (and that seems to be a big if in this case) you were to do some research, you would find I've always given respect to the big block gas engines out there. However, I've owned and operated both and for me, as well as a great many others, diesel is still the better choice. If you don't like the fact that someone has experiences different than you, maybe you could just let it slide. On the other hand, if you want to keep up the sarcasm and slights, it makes no difference to me. Don't whine when you get called out for it though.
Our Team

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
Its rated higher because of the lighter engine. A dually is rated lower than a SRW because of the extra weight of 2 more wheels. We all know it can haul more than a SRW, the mfgr is being conservative.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny and I almost missed the "adult" joke in there Mike. Good one! Don't forget to call me when you get into town so we can have a cup of coffee. A cup of coffee and war stories with new friends, it just doesn't get much better than that, except maybe making fun of all the Piper Cubs in the slow lane wishing they'd bought a diesel.

A 2005 (my truck is a 2005) Ford SRW crew cab 4x4 F350 GAS truck has a higher 5'er rating than the diesel (15,900 vs. 15,400). So, the gasser might be less likely to be overweight, you never know. Doesn't mean it'll be breaking 30mph in the slow lane, p*ssing off truckers trying to pass, though. Why do you think Ford rated it that way? Oh yeah, was that the last time you owned a gas truck? When did you sell it, because I'm wondering if taking me up on the offer to borrow my truck might give you some different or better gas truck experience.

Have a great week!

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
Ace

You change positions more often than a politician. No my 5.7 (96 chevy) was not designed to keep up with today's 1/2 toners. It was limited to towing 7200 pounds. My Airstream grossed 5k and it was slow uphill. I have watched plenty
of today's gassers limp uphill. By the way I am a fulltimer, put on lots of miles and see lots of grossly overweight gasser struggle up grades. Not that there aren't many overweight diesels, but weight doesn't seem to visually affect diesel performance.

Cigar Mike
2004.5 2500 CTD Dodge Ram Quad Cab Longbed
2005 CF29CK Crossroads Cruiser with all the options