cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

1948_silverside
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 1948 GMC Silversides Converted RV. It weighs 23000lbs when it is not pulling my 6000lb truck. It has a 671detroit and gets 14 miles to the gallon pulling my truck or not.My engine has well over one million miles on it and should get half that again on a good rebuild. It is now set up to run biodiesel which can be mixed with regular diesel at any time. You can also mix this stuff with vegetable oils that can be purchased for as low as .50 a gallon requires a special setup. You can mix it 9to 1 oil to fuel. Sounds crazy but if you want to go cheap that's blows away anything price wise out there. And biodeisel is made in the us by our farmers need I say more. A gas engine can never burn that clean or cheap. Not as much power as gas, and smells like a taco stand but I can go a long way with my 200 gallon tanks. Diesel engines are the future at least for the heavy rolling homes of today. And yes they do sound cool.

blt2ski
The lowest temp I have been at is about 0F, and no gelling etc, did not plug anything in etc to get going, just a bunch of blue smoke initially. Many of the newer rigs are goo to about -15F with out needing to be plugged in, but it does help as Ihave read. Otherwise, here in the NW US, I am lucky to be below 20F, and do not worry about it.

A good anti gel additive would help and does help. I use a Bell industries product called Arctic Blend in the winter to make sure things do not go haywire while in the cascades, and when temps are below freezing here at sealevel.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jwiz1971
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know at what temp do I need to worry about the diesel geling? If I add additives to the fuel will this not happen? I live in an apartment and would not have a place to plug in the engine heater. I know the oil changes are a little pricey but I worry more about problems with the fuel and cold temps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rlaubert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dodge 2001 3500 Diesel Dually. Recently purchased via eBay and driven from Houston, TX to Philadelphia, PA.

Trip was unloaded over the 4th of July weekend. Here are the figures:

75 MPH - avg 16.3 MPG
70 MPH - avg 19.1 MPG
65 MPH - avg 20.9 MPG

Total trip was little over 1650 miles with stop in Mobile to visit friends. Average for the trip was 19.3 MPG.
One more reason for me to keep the foot off the pedal.
Ray & Daisy Laubert

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
OK...here goes,
The truck in my sig will be my 3rd diesel TV. I started out with a Chevy 1 ton dually with a 454 that towed a 13000# trailer. At that time I was working the car show scene driving all over the country. The Chevy was a brute with all the upgrades for towing and power. I mostly MPGed at around 7.5-9, this is all towing. At 55K the trans blew, at 67K it developed an overheating problem. Chevy took care of this under extended warranty (new engine). I drove that truck to 89K and sold it.

Went to a Ford 1 ton dually with a 7.3 pre-PS diesel, the pump and injectors were worked for max power for towing, pulling the same trailer she got 11-12.5 MPG. I blew alot of black going up hills, but climbed them faster than the gasser did. I sold that truck with 478K, it was on its 2nd trans, and nothing ever went wrong with the 7.3. I had to do maint on the TV, but that was the first TV I have ever had for more than 150K.

Next was a 1 ton CC Ford with a PS! WOW did that have some power. Towing the same trailer I averaged about the same as the previous TV, but flew up the hills. I quit doing the show stuff and used it to haul around my TC. I was never disappointed with the performance. I bought a new TC and the TV hated it. It was really to much TC for the truck. So I sold it with 227K and bought my current TV.

The TC turned out to be to much for the Dodge also. The Dodge is presently wicked up about as far as it can go. I average 14-15 MPG loaded and 20-22 empty. I have many friends with V-10's and 8.1's and they get no where near the MPG as me loaded or empty, nor can they stay with me on the grades.

IMHO, NOTHING can tow or last like a diesel. I have friends with CTD's and PS's that have over 400K on them with no problems, and still are in spec on oil consumption. NO gasser will ever go that far and still be a working TV. I dont want to buy a TV every 3-5 years, I plan on keeping the Dodge for at least another 6 years before looking for a new TV.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

rvgonda
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth:

I finally took delivery of my new truck (see signature below).

I paid $2.65/gal for diesel near Hartford, CT and $2.54/gal in Burlington ,VT.

I got 20.7 mpg on the interstate at 50 mph in cruise control while driving the 260 miles home.
2005 Silverado 3500 ExC Duramax/Allison Dually w fully-convienced 2003 Lance 1130 & portable Yamaha EF2400is gasoline/propane/natural gas adapted genset.
2003 Chevy Tracker convertible toad.

Gas_Guzzler
Explorer
Explorer
I told my wife we are getting 5.5-6 mpg. She said it's $2.30 for every 6 miles. I said yup. My gas burner is going away now and I'll have to change log in to Mosquito killer.

Have a great day.
2005 Chevrolet LT 3500 CC with 6 tires
Prodigy
2003 328 Nomad
Reese dualcam
People believe what they want to believe, even if it makes no sense at all. But be careful of those killing in Jesusโ€™ name, who don't believe in killing at all.

Hyatt43
Explorer
Explorer
Noisy Bob,

If you buy a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton truck based on commuting to work, you will be sorely disappointed. I got mine for the benefits while towing. Most people will tell you that the big diesels only see a mileage benefit at highway speeds. At 45 mph stop and go driving, a Cummins will get between 13-16. The freeway is where you see 20.2 - 23.5 mpg plus.
The new diesels warm up much quicker than years gone by, but I still use a winter grille cover to help it along.

noisybob
Explorer
Explorer
I' ve been reading a lot ofthe post, not all, so maybe my question has been answered and i didn't see. Sorry if it's a repeat.

My concern w/ a diesel is short trips. My understandibng is a diesel takes longer to get to operating temp so short trips would probably not be good for them. I drive 45 miles one way and my wife drives 7. Diesel fuel is currently 10 to 20 cents higher than gas and my van gets better gas mileage than most diesles so I can't aford to drive the dielse to work. If my wife drives it her 7 miles each way all week, will it hurt the engine. Waht about 7 miles in below zero weather?

Thanks.
Bob

BORN_FREE_24__P
Explorer
Explorer
kenard04:

Neglected to mention my '83 300SD. Great car, drove it 305k, and sold it in 4 days parked in front of my home for $4,950.00 in '99. That straight five cylinder configuration was jut a bad-ass_ engiine, nary an engine problem, ever!
But as to mileage, it would get 30 mpg over the road at 65 mph. And 24 mpg around town, not bad for a 3,600 lb. car. BTW, I had the turbo air-intake, set screw "advanced" by the shop foreman @ Park Place Mercedes-Benz in Dallas, and it ran as strong as I wanted it to. Even when the A/C compressor was on!:)

Diesel on!
'02 Born Free RB E450 PowerStrokeDiesel

Texas occupies about 7 percent of the lower 48. The longest straight-line distance in a general north-south direction is 801 miles, and it is 773 miles in an east-west direction.

jamashke
Explorer
Explorer
OMG...Anyway This is what I have:
2004 4x4 6.0L ext. cab shortbed with roughly 20K on it now.
I tow a 2005 Jayco 29FBS or a 1998 2050 Bayline Capri.

Installed a tune.

Emtpy run around 13-14 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. (still working on it. Doing the intake now)

Towing the 29FBS (Loaded is right at my max tow weight) I get 9.4 MPG average running up and down Aften (sp?) mountain in the VA Appalachian chain to VA Beach. I win no races but when I hit the mountains I pull it out of "D" and put it in "3". Sits fine most of the way. Also I run the speed limit. 55-65 mph.

OH this is with cruise control on.

Wish I had more power? Sure. My daily driver? Yes.
Family car? Yes.
Payment less than my house payment? Yes.
2006 2500HD Silverado LBZ 4x4 Crew Cab ShortBed
2005 Jayco 29 FBS

(2004 2500HD 6.0 Silverado laid to rest in the mountains of VA - tranny gave up the ghost on route 211 going to Luray,VA)

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you compare the depreciation percetage between a gas and diesel, the diesel is lower. For any vehicle there is a point (being realistic of course) where the value of it will not drop much further. A diesel's bottom value tends to stay much higher.
03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch

MADDOG521
Explorer
Explorer
"the diesel is worth more at trade-in" Could this be because it cost more when new?

Hyatt43
Explorer
Explorer
It took a trip to southern utah to sell me on diesels. Last year, I was driving a 2002 2500HD Chev with the 8.1 gas engine. My brother-in-law blew by me at will on every hill we encountered in his 2004 2500 Dodge Cummins. We were both towing around 8500 lbs. I was amazed. I had never been interested in diesels before that. At one gas stop, he prodded me and asked how much fuel I had left. My reply of "none" brought a revelation. He still had 1/2 a tank! Needless to say, 3 months later I was driving a diesel.
As for the tuners, Edge, Banks, and Bully make a good product. The reason a lot of people get into trouble is that they aren't aware of the dangers in modifying a diesel. I have an Edge EZ (small) and have an extra 65-70 HP available at the flick of a switch. Do I use it towing? Absolutely not. EGTs can get too high, and then you are in for some serious trouble.
Gas - Diesels ... I think it comes down purely to personnal preferance. I can blast past several more gas stations than my gasoline counterparts, BUT the $6000 "diesel option" price tag could buy a lot of unleaded.

bikernut
Explorer
Explorer
Well ater having my daughters boy friend tow my 33' TT to this summers R&R spot with his new (used) 2001 Chevy 2500HD with Durmax/Allison combo it sure made a believer out of me. He pulled his own 27' TT with a 2500HD with the 6.6 gasser motor with auto trans last year and it was okay until you came upon an ant hill then it was all down hill from there, semi's would pass him but no one passed us towing my TT and we had room to spare. IT so convienced me that I just took advantage of GM's new pay what GM employees pay and I will be taking delivery of a new 2005 Chevy 3500 Dually with the Durmax/Allison combo Monday even if I let it set all summer until fall it was the best deal out there and I did go a bit over board with a dually but in the near future I can see a fifth wheel and the used trucks were in about the same price range with a lot more miles so we decide to bit the bullet now and purchase a new one.
2007 KZ New Vision 41kg Sportster toy Hauler
1995 FLTC
1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4
1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/19784 miles
2020 GMC Denali
2015 Harley Tri-guide