cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Hishdeer
Explorer
Explorer
ilovetocamp wrote:
Paying $1.55 a gallon for diesel and getting over 20mpg.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2004 Challenger 32TKB 5th wheel with 3 slides.

You are NOT getting 20mpg pulling and 32 foot 5th wheel with 3 slides. I'm NOT buying it.

Its4mykids
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 1994 gasser (see below). I would LOVE to have a diesel, but just canโ€™t justify it. The rig below only has 38,000 original miles on it. It only sees the outdoors when I am camping. I am blessed enough to be able to dedicate this truck to nothing but towing (and the occasional trip to the lumberyard). Iโ€™m not rich by any means, I just choose to live in a small house, drive junk cars with 200,000 miles on them, and spend the money saved on new cars/houses for camping with my family while the kids are young. When camping, we choose to make several short trips throughout the year (maybe ten weekends all within 100 miles) rather than two or three long trips. Taking all of the above into account, it was more cost efficient for me to purchase the gasser. I change oil once per year. The truck sits for months during the winter. We rarely take cross-country trips. It pulls awesome. Its cost was considerably less than the diesel. I know how to work on and maintain gassers. Etc., etc., etc. IN MY SITUATION, the gasser just made more sense. I know the diesel will pull better and get better mileage (Iโ€™ve driven friendsโ€™), but mine โ€œDOES THE JOB I NEED IT TOโ€. I wouldnโ€™t want to full-time with the gasser, but I know for the occasional cross county trip it will (and has) got me there just fine.

I guess the bottom line is that they both have their pros/cons. You have to figure out what is best for you in your own situation. I have nothing bad to say about either, and nothing good to say. I just have pros/cons. Read through all the posts, take bits and pieces from each of them, and draw your own conclusion.

BTW โ€“ over the life of the truck (starting from the very first fill-up and including every one since then), I average 6.11 mpg per my Excel spreadsheet. I would say this is 40% interstate towing at 65mph, 50% two-lane highways towing with stops/goes through towns, and 10% driving w/o towing. My TALL fiver weighs in loaded at close to 12,000 pounds. I only had two trips without the trailer long enough to calculate the mileage and one got 10.2mpg and the other got 11.1mpg.
R.D., Kathy, Jonah(16) and Meg(14)
1994 F-350 Crew Cab, Dually, 460 with Banks P/P (50k miles - showroom new!)
1998 Prowler 31 5R

Money you can beg, borrow and steal, but you only have your kids for a season.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Ain't that the truth. When I bought my DMax, diesel was less than 75% of the cost of gas. When we were getting ready for our first trip, I filled the DMax and 2 5 gal gerry cans for less than what it used to cost me to fill my gasser which had the same size tank. They are now almost on par - diesel still has a slight advantage, but usually only a couple of cents per liter (6 - 10 cents per gal). I suspect with the popularity of diesels growing, it is only going to get worse.

Bert

Jeff_Tow_Truck
Explorer
Explorer
I HAD GAS AND GOT TIRED OF THE 7 MPG. SO I WENT LOOKING FOR A DIESEL. NOW THAT I HAVE ONE, I GET 10 1/2 TO 11 MPG. THE GAS HAD MORE POWER BUT THE FUEL ECON. IS BETTER FOR MY WALLET.
GAS IS AROUND 2.05 AND DIESEL IS 2.25 TO 2.30 HERE IN VA. NOW. BACK WHEN I BOUGHT THE DIESEL I THINK I REMEMBER DIESEL WAS CHEAPER THAN GAS?
Great wife & kids
1 boy 16 & 1 girl 13
2 Goldn Retr.
97 Chev 3500 ext cab 2wd D/W 6.5 Turbo Diesel 85K
89 Club Car elect.,rear seat kit and 6" lift kit,rides in TV
2000 Fleetwood Wilderness 37' TT w/slide & 3 bnks
http://community.webshots.com/user/jpfjf

hindle_az
Explorer
Explorer
Well Mary did you get enough opinions??????

I think the bottom line will come down really what you are going to use the truck for. Kenard brought up a very good point. City driving is really where you loose with a Diesel. I to had an F-150 and was forced to move up to a bigger truck once I bought my trailer. I got a 2002 GMC 2500 with the Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny. I'm very happy with my purchase because I do a fair amount of towing and regardless of the price of diesel I save in the end. However, I have noticed that in the city I get about the same amount of mileage as I did with my 150 (about 17MPG).

My advice to you would be very honest about how much hauling your going to be doing. If this new truck is going to be used daily and your only going to make a couple low mileage trips a year with the new trailer your probably better off with the gasser. However, if your towing often diesel is the only way to go in my mind.

I get 20 on the highway without the trailer doing 70-75 and 13 with the trailer speed various with conditions but if all is well I will pull the trailer @ 70. It's really a simple decision to make just do the math and the answer will tell you which truck to purchase.

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the posts that I have read here refer to MPG and durability between the two engines. I am considering my first diesel and am interested in what are the other major differences between the two. I see references to plugging in a diesel, gelling of fuel, etc. What are the things I need to know, other than the mileage and longevity?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

bbw
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you have to try and sort all of this out but let me say this... either way you will have awesome towing power. Your gas mileage will be a little better with the diesel but not significantly. I personally would go with the diesel but only for the mileage. It does add up after awhile. Not sure what type toy hauler your going to get but just to set the record straight I have a 5000# (dryweight) Toy Hauler. Fully loaded I can maintain 50+ mph up any 7% grade with no problem. Yes I have to drop it in second and I'm turning some RPM's but it will do it. (This is why I use my sons Ford with the Powerstroke). Secondly unless you want to replace the tranny ever few thousand miles you should NEVER tow in overdrive. Good luck with whatever you choose.

SLEEZ
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both. I had an 01' Ford 6.8L V10 and currently own an 05' Chevy Duramax diesel. There is NO comparison between the two. The diesel will walk all over the V10, especially while towing. Pulling my old trailer, which weighed about 7k loaded the V10 would struggle to pull the steep grades. With my new trailer which is over 10k loaded the DMAX pulls the heavier load up the same grades faster and a lot less downshifting. Gas mileage is way better in the diesel, I can get to Pismo in less than 3/4 tank of gas and a little over a 1/2 tank coming home. The V10 would use over a tank and a half to cover the same distance. The V10 was very reliable, so is my DMAX so far.

chasd60
Explorer
Explorer
kennard04 wrote:
YES there are comparisons. Why is it when you're talking to someone who has a diesel there is NO comparison ? It's like they're scared someone may not have the same opinion as them. Diesels aren't for everyone, they're not for every use. Americans are not diesel acclimatized fully. There are many negatives to owning and operating a diesel. I would suggest a thorough investigation of how you will use your tow rig. Very few folks tow a majority of the time. We run to the store, we drive to friends houses, we drive to work, etc. So don't listen to anyone that says there are NO comparisons, there are LOTS of comparisons and LOTS of reasons why either motor MAY be good, or bad for one particular user. Look into it fully, then decide what's best for YOU.

And these are my comparisons.............

I have both a 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2L Gas engine and a 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel engine. Both are 2WD and the gas is a shortbed, diesel is a longbed.
The gas engine commuting back and forth to work at 92 miles RT and 70mph averages 16MPG in the summer and 14.5 in the winter. Towing a 5000lb camper and 4 passenegrs at 70MPH I got between 6-8mpg on a trip from Maine to Florida and back.

Commuting with the Ram diesel at 70mph I am getting 20mpg summer and no real winter figures yet although I have driven it in the winter.
Towing worst case yet has been 14mpg with the same camper. I will need to perform a 70mph full day tow for a real comparison and I am not sure when that will occur.

I use the diesel for everyday use as well.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Alright compare us to the europeans over 40% diesel ownership,short trips,no hauling,just like the way we use our cars.So I maintain they can be for every day use.Besides I cant afford a nich car for every type of tranportation need(long trip cruiser,go to work beater,sunday driver,5er hauler)so I need my truck to do it all.......and it does.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

kennard04
Explorer
Explorer
YES there are comparisons. Why is it when you're talking to someone who has a diesel there is NO comparison ? It's like they're scared someone may not have the same opinion as them. Diesels aren't for everyone, they're not for every use. Americans are not diesel acclimatized fully. There are many negatives to owning and operating a diesel. I would suggest a thorough investigation of how you will use your tow rig. Very few folks tow a majority of the time. We run to the store, we drive to friends houses, we drive to work, etc. So don't listen to anyone that says there are NO comparisons, there are LOTS of comparisons and LOTS of reasons why either motor MAY be good, or bad for one particular user. Look into it fully, then decide what's best for YOU.
Ken, wife-Kathleen, 6 kids, 11-25 yrs. 24' bunkhouse towed by the almighty Ford V10 in an ext length E-350.

sbingham
Explorer
Explorer
NO comparison. Diesel is the tow vehicle. Here is my direct comparison:
1- 2004 Chevy Taho pulling a 5,000 TT. Pulled a local 7% grade at 37mph tops.
2- 2005 Dodge Ram Cummins pulled this same trailer at 74mph up the same grade.

Comparison #2:
1- 2004 Chevy Taho pulling the same trailer averaged 8-10 mpg.
2- 2005 Dodge Ran pulling the same trailer averaged 11-14 mpg.

Comparison #3:
1- 2004 Chevy Taho non-towing gas mileage was 14-18
2- 2005 Dodge Cummins non-towing mileage was 16-21

Of course the diesel will last 350,000 miles and still have much better resale value. Nuf said?

Lastly, this same 2005 Dodge Ram now pulls my new HitchHiker 5th wheeler (around 9,000) up thos same grade at 67mph! Yikes!
Steve and Bobbie (and Shotgun - my 115 lb dog)
Down sized to a Nash 25S ๐Ÿ™‚
My web page is www.dustylens.com

kennard04
Explorer
Explorer
maryb1976 wrote:
I would like some info on the Ford V10 vs the diesel. My husband and I are buying a new truck to tow a toy hauler.. I've heard different stories on each. Does anyone have the Ford F-250 V10? or the diesel. Can you tell me what gas mileage you get.. empty and full? V10 or diesel.. Thanks!!!!!

I get 12-15 solo, depending on how many kids in hot rods I have to show what 'real motor' means. I get 8-11 towing depending on hills, altitude, etc. I would say if you're going to be towing alot, for many years, you will get more out of a diesel. I do not tow full time so a diesel wasn't a good choice for me. Typically you'll get 2-5 mpg more in a diesel. But for very heavy loads, and lots of towing you'll be happer than with a gas motor. The gas engine will tow whatever you buy, but it will work considerably harder at it's tow capacity. I tow around 10K, and the V-10 is a monster for that weight. It's smooth and quiet and very fuel efficient for a big, hard working truck. Drive both, see which one you like, then sit down and figure fuel mileage, fuel costs (diesel is alot higher out here), fuel availability and higher initial buy in costs. At 100-150K miles you should break even with the gas motor for cost. If you buy a new truck every few years you need a gas motor. If you will keep your truck 10 years a tow only, or mostly with it get the oilburner.
Ken, wife-Kathleen, 6 kids, 11-25 yrs. 24' bunkhouse towed by the almighty Ford V10 in an ext length E-350.

afsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought an 05 Chevy extended cab 4x4 3500 Dooley with the duramax and allison. Before I had an 01 2500 4x4 extended cab short bed with the 8.1 and the allison. I was unsure about diesels before I got one. I have to say that I enjoyed the 8.1 it has plenty of towing power but did not pull the trailer quit as easy as the duramax. I always had to pull the trailer 70 to 75 mph with the gasser to run in overdrive and was not able to set the cruise. With the duramax I'm able to set the cruise on 65 and let it go even up hill. I've never had a diesel before so I didn't have anything to compare with a gasser. I have 7,000 miles on the new one and recently got back from Leadville,Colorado I averaged 8-10 pulling and
18 empty. With the gasser I would average 4-6 pulling and 11-12 empty. I have had both now and definately prefer the diesel over the gas. If for nothing else but the ease of pulling.

maryb1976
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some info on the Ford V10 vs the diesel. My husband and I are buying a new truck to tow a toy hauler.. I've heard different stories on each. Does anyone have the Ford F-250 V10? or the diesel. Can you tell me what gas mileage you get.. empty and full? We want to get a new toy hauler to haul our bikes. We have a Ford F-150 that is 2 years old. When we went to see about the toy hauler, we found out that it wasn't big enough to tow what we wanted.. So, we have to go get another truck first... I would appreciate anyone's input of what would be better to buy.. V10 or diesel.. Thanks!!!!!