cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnect battery or leave it charging.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last winter I pulled the battery and set it in the house. The TT had no power to it.

In February we reinstalled the battery for a winter campout and a month long trip to FL. Now that we are home again I have the shore line plugged in to keep the battery charged because we took a couple of local trips. We do not expect to use the trailer until July so it will set in the side yard.

The question is, do I leave the shore power hooked up to feed the phantom loads and top off the battery or do I disconnect the battery and shore power and leave the TT set for the next two and a half months?

I have heard mixed results about leaving the battery hooked up to the shore power for long lengths of time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
11 REPLIES 11

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another good reason for a properly installed solar system. We had one on our previous Lance TC and have a similar one on our current TT. when in the DW we disconnect shore power except immediately before a trip to run the reefer. At other times the solar is connected, a Fantastic Fan with thermometer is left on and the batteries are connected. They stay nicely charged, all monitors work and the fan keeps the temp moderated on warm days.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

I installed a manual battery off/on switch.

When trailer NOT being used, I turn its switch to OFF. When used or being towed, I turn the switch of ON. Very simple and low cost.

For me, it isn't about dumb or smart chargers. Installing a trickle charger or even installing a 7-10 Watt Solar panel / 12V battery charger. For me, if 12V battery switch is OFF, there's NO 12V power in the RV chassis. If NO 12V power, then items aren't energized. Thus, lower risk appliance burn-out and/or lower risk of fire - from 12V problem. And, using a 12V manual switch also eliminates the risk of over boiling battery cells as well.

Many different methods to eliminate risk of dead battery will work. For me, a 12V battery with a 12V manual battery switch is low cost and is "simple".

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If converter is a Single stage dumb charger......remove
If converter is a 3 stage charger......leave connected/charging.

Ours has been plugged into power of some sort for 7 yrs.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't answer until you tell us what converter you have.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays plugged in and I do not have a bypass for the battery. Plugged it in a month or so ago, first trip is in May. Will turn the fridge on soon and it will stay on until the end of Oct., just the way we do it.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1. I've used a trickle charger in the past (A Battery Minder), and it did wonders to keep my macerator pump battery in good shape.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that nobody mentioned using a battery trickle charger when the vehicle is sitting for a long period of time. A Battery Tender Jr. or Battery Minder will do the trick by keeping a float charge on the battery and not over charge.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rbpru wrote:
I have heard mixed results about leaving the battery hooked up to the shore power for long lengths of time.
That is because different RVs have different converters that work better than others. Also the converter often gets blamed for poor maintenance of the battery water level. Especially as the battery gets closer to end of life.

Post your converter model number for best answers. Or measure the battery voltage after a week of plugged in and post it here.

Most likely it is best to leave it plugged in.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can leave your TT plugged into shore power as we do if your rig has a smart multi-phase converter charger. With single-stage converters, boiling dry the battery bank is typical when left plugged in to shore power for extended periods. Using your battery cut-off switch will eliminate most parasitic draws while your rig is stored, we choose to keep our rig plugged in and ready to go as some trips are spur of the moment to camping spots an hour or less away.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a disconnect switch. Once my batteries get fully charged from shore power, I will disconnect the batteries and leave shore power connected at home if we want. For me, the key is disconnecting after it gets charged up. I have a controller that is supposed to keep my battery charged, but it would overcharge at times and this new process works fine.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay plugged in in storage?
Stay plugged in roast batteries?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman