cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network pay as you go.

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use Dish Networks pay as you go. DW wants to watch tv when we go on our next 3 week trip. Camping World has a receiver on sale and she wants to get one. After reading many many negative reviews I want to stick to DVDs. Opinions?
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!
17 REPLIES 17

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winegard Pathway X2' and the Dish vip211z receiver and use the pay as you go service. I do not have a home account and just use it when traveling.
I find it is a bit troublesome to get started and stopped but once theought the hassle it works fine. Because of this I ended up just not using it as much as I planned and just use DVD's or Netflix with my Internet hotspot connection.

I have since taken it out of the RV and plan on getting rid of it, just one less thing to haul around.
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boatycall wrote:
Question - for those who ONLY have a satellite receiver in their RV on pay as you go-- what does it cost for the utmost basic service, and then switching it on and off as needed, for say, maybe one week a month at a time?

Reason I ask - I want to drop dish like a bad habit, but they're one of only 2 games in town for RV satellite TV, and DirectTV wants a fortune for their self-pointing HD setup.

I have a 722 receiver on Dish at home, another 211 receiver and dish at my beach house, and the 211+tailgater in my TC.

I've had Dish service since 2004. I hate them. Can't stand being treated like an idiot whenever I call in for ANYTHING...even to re-authorize my 211 in my TC. I am an Electrical Engineer in the communications field, dealing with beamwidths, azimuths, tilts, dB's and gains every frickin day, and these kids can't even read from the script in front of them half the time. And when they do read from the script, they don't even listen to the answer you gave them unless you repeat it yelling at the top of your lungs 14 times. -- and all the while I already know exactly what I need done, but they won't do it until they make you go through the whole script. If I hear Can you please unplug your receiver and plug it back in" one more time, they can come sweep up the parts left from their equipment off my driveway.

My phone number has been 'hot flagged', meaning, anytime I call, I get a US, real on-shore person every time. Threaten to cancel the next time you get an oversees call rep and they will hot-flag your number.

But even at that, I can't stand calling them. I have Comcast internet at home, I want to bundle tv and internet, and just drop my dish at the beach all together. There is a real, brick and mortar customer service center for Comcast not 5 minutes from my house where I can look someone in the eye, and I've never had any problems going there with the few internet problems I've had.

Sorry.
I now step off my soap box...
:M :M :M :M :M

Wow Jim, I have never experienced that. Every time I call I have great, friendly service. I usually call more than twice a year to turn it on/off as I often let it sit for over a month at a time and it goes to sleep. Yes, it takes several minutes to get it re-booted but I always get a very patient lady to visit with while it is going through the process. I wouldn't be very happy either if I have your experiences!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Boatycall wrote:
Question - for those who ONLY have a satellite receiver in their RV on pay as you go-- what does it cost for the utmost basic service, and then switching it on and off as needed, ..............

$36.99 for the most basic.
Dishformyrv.com programming packages

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
DISREGARD ALL OF THIS - I THINK I MISREAD YOUR POST - confused Dish/Direct....

http://www.dish.com/pay-as-you-go/

I have the Americas Top 120 and the above link matches what I pay. Of course, 120 total channels means about 12 that are occasionally worth watching.

I've never tried "pausing" service after a week (or so) of use, I typically pay for a month and use the whole month.

I'm not sure you'll find Dish any better in regards to customer service, maybe. ๐Ÿ˜‰
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Question - for those who ONLY have a satellite receiver in their RV on pay as you go-- what does it cost for the utmost basic service, and then switching it on and off as needed, for say, maybe one week a month at a time?

Reason I ask - I want to drop dish like a bad habit, but they're one of only 2 games in town for RV satellite TV, and DirectTV wants a fortune for their self-pointing HD setup.

I have a 722 receiver on Dish at home, another 211 receiver and dish at my beach house, and the 211+tailgater in my TC.

I've had Dish service since 2004. I hate them. Can't stand being treated like an idiot whenever I call in for ANYTHING...even to re-authorize my 211 in my TC. I am an Electrical Engineer in the communications field, dealing with beamwidths, azimuths, tilts, dB's and gains every frickin day, and these kids can't even read from the script in front of them half the time. And when they do read from the script, they don't even listen to the answer you gave them unless you repeat it yelling at the top of your lungs 14 times. -- and all the while I already know exactly what I need done, but they won't do it until they make you go through the whole script. If I hear Can you please unplug your receiver and plug it back in" one more time, they can come sweep up the parts left from their equipment off my driveway.

My phone number has been 'hot flagged', meaning, anytime I call, I get a US, real on-shore person every time. Threaten to cancel the next time you get an oversees call rep and they will hot-flag your number.

But even at that, I can't stand calling them. I have Comcast internet at home, I want to bundle tv and internet, and just drop my dish at the beach all together. There is a real, brick and mortar customer service center for Comcast not 5 minutes from my house where I can look someone in the eye, and I've never had any problems going there with the few internet problems I've had.

Sorry.
I now step off my soap box...
:M :M :M :M :M
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
janechucknicodemus wrote:
We have had Dish for several years now, Pay as you go and we shut it off and turn it on when ever we move on. We travel host parks and go home in the summer . Just callem and say what zip code you are and they set you up. BUT if it is only for a short term you are looking at the deal is not worth it. stick to dvds.
We are usually gone 5-7 months.

My 2 cents

I have never had to call them and tell them which zip code I'm in. Setting up for the first time in a new location the receiver asks which state you are in.

That's only needed for your locals if you drive outside the spotbeam for your home area. If you're home is in Boise, and you come see me in Tacoma, you'll have no local channels at all. You call them with a new zip, you then get to see Seattle locals, but you've drove too far to receive Boise local channels.

For me, it doesn't take much. I go from Tacoma to Portland, I've lost my Seattle locals.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had Dish for several years now, Pay as you go and we shut it off and turn it on when ever we move on. We travel host parks and go home in the summer . Just callem and say what zip code you are and they set you up. BUT if it is only for a short term you are looking at the deal is not worth it. stick to dvds.

My 2 cents

I have never had to call them and tell them which zip code I'm in. Setting up for the first time in a new location the receiver asks which state you are in.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Pay-as-You-Go since Jan 2014 with a Tailgator antenna and a VIP211k receiver.

If you can remember the two words suspend and activate, you can stop and start your service at your convenience.

When you don't need the service you call and suspend. This holds your credit balance of the prorated unused days.

When you want the service again, you call and activate. At that time you will top-up your account so that your credit balance represents one month's service. We don't auto pay but we call each month to pay.

HTH;
John

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Pay as you go requires you lease a single TV receiver from dish of their choosing. I like my dual Dish TV receiver that I (wink wink) have in my home, but really in my RV full time, so I pay the monthly rate instead for that convenience. BTW you can have Dish ping and wake up a receiver that hasn't been on-line for over 2 weeks via Dish Chat on the internet, no more phone calls for this.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
TIP with dish:
I have no used my receiver since end of July. I went to turn it on last week and it had auto deactivate (even if your still paying for it). The deactivation is done automatically inside the hardware and I do not know if its a couple weeks or a month when it happens.

Since there is not an outbound connection from your receiver, there must be a steam of serial numbers that is always being transmitted by Dish to keep paying customers receivers running.

To get it re-activated takes a call to dish (I hear you can do it over internet?). Hopefully you will get someone in USA to talk to. So if your planning on going somewhere that has no internet/ cell phone, be sure to make a test run before leaving to see if the receiver is still activated with Dish :).

It can take 15-20 minutes after they "send the signal" before you receiver starts to work again. but most customer service reps are in a hurry so they will have you reboot the thing several times.

I have a winegard Pathway X2 dish. In the NE US we use different satellites than the rest of the USA (for HD content) and the X2 is the only portable dish that does this "eastern arc".
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have had Dish pay as you go for several years now. Only use it a 2-3 months each year. Works great. Have never had any problem with Dish support.

If you do sign up for it, do not use a credit card for auto pay. They will charge your card each month whether you are using the service or not. If you do not use auto pay, you simply do not pay the next month if you do not plan to use the service that month. They will disconnect you, and you can call to restart it the next time you want to use it. If we are traveling outside our home area, I call or chat a Dish rep, tell them we are in our RV, tell them our current service location, and shortly will have the network channels of the nearest local city. Billing address does not change.

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Have had it for about 4 years now & works pretty well. Sometimes I have a hassle when I turn it off. Sometimes they want me to pay $5/mo for not using, sometimes $40+ for not using, but you usually can get them down to zero. Think part of problem is you are talking to partially trained/barely english qualified, personnel in the Phillipines or India. I have found telling them you cannot understand them that you must talk to an American gets you someone who knows the rules and can really help you. Makes me feel bad to do that, but, after all, they are probably taking jobs that Americans need, so----

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer

My 2 cents

X2....

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer

My 2 cents