cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does size really matter?

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about an Olympic Wave heater for my Lance 915 TC, and am looking for suggestions on the size of the unit to purchase. I am also open to suggestions for other LP gas-fired heaters.

thanks
6 REPLIES 6

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone for your responses. I will research the PlatCat and the Wave3 and make a decision from there.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Wave 3 will be fine unless you camp in areas below 20 degrees F. We have the 3 in our 10 foot Avion, and is our only source of heat. When we camped in the Mainland of Alaska in November, we were glad to find a Campground still open, even though they only offered electricity. This allowed us to supplement the heat with an electric heater, that took our camper from -9 F to about 60 F in less than an hour (wave 3 and electric 1500 watt heater together) and kept us at about 60 all night! and it dipped to -14 F....
Living in Alaska, I almost wish I went with a Wave 6, but when we put 4 or 5 of us in the camper, body heat helps heat up the rest of the way.
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hopefully this helps out! Also if you camp in Cold Weather, pick up some of the aluminum faced bubble-wrap insulation, and line cupboards, place under mattresses, and I use Metal "Duct Tape" to put it over the windows which was the only way for us to hold any heat at all in our sub-zero Thanksgiving.

Good Luck!

Garry in Kodiak, AK
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Wave 3 in my AF 1140. We like it very much. When we have shore power we use our baseboard heat. When we dry camp we use the Wave 3. Both are used much more than the factory furnace. The nice thing about the Wave 3 is that its very easy on propane and it takes no battery power to run it. I grabbed my propane feed from the rear of the frig.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Wave 6 in my 24' MH and it's more than adequate. I agree that the Wave 3 would probably work for you. They do require a couple of windows vented and you have to have adequate space around them. Mine is portable with a quick-disconnect valve to the propane line. It uses no battery, very little propane and is quiet. I love it!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
I had a wave 3 in my 1140 arctic fox. It worked well, but they are radiant heaters and will take a long time to heat the camper. They produce a lot of moisture/humidity. That said, I loved mine and would do it again. They save a lot of propane and electricity.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get the big Wave it will be too big and you'll be shutting off more. It will also use more LP. The 3 is way large enough for any TC.

The other option to a Wave is a PlatCat. Do search, there's a lot of info on both.