cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this sound legit?

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I received s call yesterday from a lady saying that my name had been given to them as a preferred customer of Camping World and that we were invited for a free 4 day 3 night stay at a campground in Branson that they had recently purchased. She also said we would receive a $100 gift certificate to CW and also 25 free nights at various other campgrounds in different locations. I asked her what the catch was and she said there was no catch. She said that they were looking for good old fashioned word of mouth advertising and that the only thing we would have to do is ride around on a golf cart so we could be shown this 70 acre RV Park. I took her name and number and said I would get back in touch with her. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from CW so I'm assuming my info came from my GS membership.
28 REPLIES 28

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
After I had just gotten out of the NAVY I didn't have much money. My friend and I would sign up for those 3/night 2/day FREE promotions. We got camping gear, radios, cookware, etc. as 'gifts' and a FREE place for the weekend.

Sales pitch was high pressure first night but then they left us alone SAT/SUN cause they realized we didn't have any money and was there strictly for the free promo gifts

Went to one back in 2008 in Casa Grande.
We were FT and staying at the RV Park under an affiliate program. At check in they asked if we would be interested.
Knowing we weren't buying cause we already at access we went to see what it was like.
Associate meet with us......brochures shown, benefits laid out and then savings based on nightly stays. Then the costs ---$6000 buy in plus.
Thanks but no
Another associate came over.....sales pitch increased
THANKS but No
Both associates increased sales pitch and buy in price dropped TODAY only $4000
THANKS BUT NO
Sales pitch increased....One time offer last chance now only $3500

We got up from table........second associate walked away. First associated stated "You are making a big mistake. You leave and you will not be offered membership again"

We went back to our 5vr....spent 5 more days there as planned seeing the sites
Everyone was friendly except that first associate. She would not 'acknowledge' us when we WAVED :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing what this was about 15 years ago we tried this and looked at 5 campgrounds. We bought nothing but received 15-16 free nights of camping and found 5 campgrounds we would never stay at again and 3 membership outlets we would never consider. My husband and I were both teachers at the time and we worked too hard to part with our money for so many restrictions and rules.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I've attended many of these kind of presentations and you do get a good bit of "free" perks. However, if you are unable to resist high pressure sales tactics you just might come away as a proud new owner. You'll likely regret that somewhere down the road. It's a personal decision. Three free days in a very nice campground in exchange for a couple of hour sales pitch sounds like a fair trade to me.

We spent a week in Sedona AZ once and made $300 in 2 days from the time share sales pitch incentives. We didn't buy a thing but I'm a good "resister". As we are retired, we figured $150/day was not bad pay for just goofing off.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Ah shoot. Wish I could have received a possible time share sales pitch. I look forward to them. If there really isn't much cost to get there, I will take full advantage of the freebies. If you can handle the pitch and to not feel any obligation, the rest of the weekend can be fun.

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
We took advantage of that offer last spring, and I wrote about our experiences here:What's the Deal with Those Free Camping Offers?

It wasn't as bad as some other timeshare presentations we have had. They kept it to less than 2 hours and did not put a lot of pressure on us or try to keep us past our allotted time. The campground is nice. The bathhouses left a lot to be desired. Overall, it was worth our time to get the free nights and Camping World voucher.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Run! You'll be better off! They will high pressure you into a time share type contract and for the money you spend for memberships and such, you can do a LOT of camping for that same amount! Run and don't look back!

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
It's legit as such. It's just like a time share sales pitch where they let you stay at some resort free for three days if you'll sit through their sales pitch. Here, you'll get a sales pitch to join some sort of RV park or camping program.

Bill

You will be bombarded with extremely high pressure sales from the moment you arrive. Every interaction you have will there is carefully planned to get you to buy into a time share camping "club." You will not have a leisure, enjoyable camping experience. Don't go.

I don't think that I have ever even been in a camping world or ordered anything from them.

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I figured as much. It sounded like one of those sales pitches to get me hooked in.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
It's legit as such. It's just like a time share sales pitch where they let you stay at some resort free for three days if you'll sit through their sales pitch. Here, you'll get a sales pitch to join some sort of RV park or camping program.

Bill

You will be bombarded with extremely high pressure sales from the moment you arrive. Every interaction you have will there is carefully planned to get you to buy into a time share camping "club." You will not have a leisure, enjoyable camping experience. Don't go.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Crambo wrote:
I received s call yesterday from a lady saying that my name had been given to them as a preferred customer of Camping World and that we were invited for a free 4 day 3 night stay at a campground in Branson that they had recently purchased. She also said we would receive a $100 gift certificate to CW and also 25 free nights at various other campgrounds in different locations. I asked her what the catch was and she said there was no catch. She said that they were looking for good old fashioned word of mouth advertising and that the only thing we would have to do is ride around on a golf cart so we could be shown this 70 acre RV Park. I took her name and number and said I would get back in touch with her. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from CW so I'm assuming my info came from my GS membership.

Legit? Yes.

It can mean a free vacation stay but only if you are very good at resisting high pressure sales tactics. It is some sort of time-share or lot sales marketing.

Did you sign up for free camping at a Camping World store? CW stores often have a display offering a drawing for free camping. In reality everyone who enters wins, it is a marketing tool in order to get your contact info. If you didn't sign up, CW sold your name to the campground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

george_505
Explorer
Explorer
A radio commercial in Dallas claims their firm can get you out of unwanted time share ownership FOR a fee.

In addition, usually you have three days after signing a time-share contract under that circumstance to void it. It works, I have done it.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away....these places are relentless with their sales methods. The phone calls and general harassment begins on your first day.

Nothing is free, no company in business to make money does anything for free.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
I received one of those type calls a year or two ago. Initially I said yes as I would attend cause it sounded OK. Then when I got off the phone I did a google search on the property and the business, saw a lot of complaints. Basically, you are buying a lifetime membership to this group of campgrounds. Besides the initial fee, you also have to pay an annual maintenance fee for as long as you "own" your membership, which you can't just stop - you have to sell. I decided it wasn't my cup of tea so called them back and cancelled.

Don

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.