cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door deadbolt jammed

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
When we left the house tonight I locked the deadbolt with the key and we left. We just arrived at the walmart that we are crashing at and the key won't go in the lock and I can't open the deadbolt from the inside. Fortunately we have 2 doors so we can still use the trailer but everyone has to go through the master bedroom. Any tips or tricks to getting it open? The trailer is 5 months old and I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a hold of anyone at Keystone tomorrow before we get into Yellowstone. Please help.
17 REPLIES 17

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
MeloyeloCJ7 wrote:
I sent in my request on Feb. 27. I never heard or received anything so I emailed them May 1st. On May 22nd I got a reply saying they are working on February requests and thanks for my patience. I've still not received the replacement lockstep. I need to just call them at this point. This is rediculous.

I requested mine in March after we bought the TT from our friend. I'm not holding my breath for them to show up any time soon.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with TTs but I know a little about deadbolts. Is yours one of those TriMark door locks with a built in dead bolt. If so I'll be no help at all.

I will make a suggestion, however, get rid of it and install a trimark lock with out the deadbolt and install a separate deadbolt lock. I have rebuilt my old Brinkman paddle door lock and the material used inside the assembly was not suitable for a high use mechanism of any kind. I think TriMark is the same or they had a whole bunch of defective locks.

I had a POSSE deadbolt on my rig. I hated it and wanted to install a Schlage but couldn't find a drive in bolt assembly, I really didn't look very hard and the one locksmith I did talk to didn't help at all. Then I was perusing the Schlage on-line catalog and found what I wanted and low and behold Lowe's had it in stock. You cannot remove the key from the deadbolt in the horizontal lock or unlock position. There is a center or vertical position only.

My MoHo is now keyed the same as my home and it's one less key I carry. All my keyrings for vehicles have that key on them, I can always get in either.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
When it happened to us, I tapped the key in with a rubber hammer, then replaced the the unit on my $20. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a complete new lock for forty bucks. I would do that before I would wait months on end for them to replace it.

I've considered the AP products electric keypad lock, but honestly, it's very rare that I even lock my trailer, so I've thought, why ?
I don't camp in questionable places, and really, it would be so easy to break into one of these thing anyway.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
tkoden wrote:
How do you remove the cylinder? Can I do it and open the door and just not use the deadbolt?

I recall when this happened to me (deadbolt accidentally getting stuck in the locked position) I just messed with it for a bit and was able to get it unlocked using the key. It is highly possible my wife was fiddling with the door latch inside while I was outside fiddling with the key. This was well before the recall notice.

To remove the cylinder, I recall you need to have the cylinder in an unlocked position, then use a master key to remove the cylinder. You most likely were not given a master key with your TT purchase as I do not believe that is a common practice. A dealer probably does have a master key in their maintenance shop.
I love me some land yachting

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
How do you remove the cylinder? Can I do it and open the door and just not use the deadbolt?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I got quick service myself. I guess the statement He who hesitates is lost has some truth to it.
bumpy

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
MeloyeloCJ7 wrote:
I sent in my request on Feb. 27. I never heard or received anything so I emailed them May 1st. On May 22nd I got a reply saying they are working on February requests and thanks for my patience. I've still not received the replacement lockstep. I need to just call them at this point.

Makes me glad I acted on this when the recall first started. I actually did call them and they were very nice and responsive. Only took two weeks to receive the new cylinders/keys and extremely easy to replace...but again, that was last year when the recall first started.

Prior to replacing the locks, I did have an occurrence where my family was still sleeping and I locked the door from outside. Wife woke and could not unlock the door from inside so I was accused of locking them in the TT. 🙂

Best of luck hoping you all get your replacements right away.
I love me some land yachting

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
Carhlr wrote:
We have a new TT just had same thing happen a big screw driver, hammer and vice grip pound screw driver in lock turn with vice gripping open took TT back to dealer he put whole newhandle assembly on at no charge.i had black keys no I have purple keys.

Is this what your mfg said to do or did you just do it and demand a new door lock?

Does the replacement include a completely new door lock assembly? If so, I might just do the same thing.

MeloyeloCJ7
Explorer
Explorer
I sent in my request on Feb. 27. I never heard or received anything so I emailed them May 1st. On May 22nd I got a reply saying they are working on February requests and thanks for my patience. I've still not received the replacement lockstep. I need to just call them at this point. This is rediculous.
Me, Wife, dogs
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV-301
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 6.4L 4x4

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, happened to our son the day he bought his TT. 😞
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my replacements last week, it took 8 weeks from when I submitted my info to get them. The job is easily done. Just follow the directions that come in the package. They send a master key and 2 new cylinders. A prepaid envelope is included to mail back the old cylinders along with the master key.

Carhlr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new TT just had same thing happen a big screw driver, hammer and vice grip pound screw driver in lock turn with vice gripping open took TT back to dealer he put whole newhandle assembly on at no charge.i had black keys no I have purple keys.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my Chieftain's dead bolt lock would not work with the key, would work with the lever inside. when leaving I just went through the motions of locking the deadbolt if there was an audience to make anybody think that it was also locked. worked for me. 🙂 would recommend it on one of the two doors.
bumpy