cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually and buying a good pickup camper!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had probably at least 10 pickup campers in my years but never on a dually truck.The problem I am running into is of course, the front jacks on good quality used truck campers.The vast majority of them are not wide enough to get the 96" between the jacks to load it at the persons place to take home and fix the problem.Camper size seems not to make any difference in jacks used.

Is there a short term fix or method to get one loaded without having the extension fix with you or is it a buy now and go get the parts needed?

I have some cable jacks I will not get rid of but that is not a fix either as there not going to be wide enough either.Is there anything to rent etc just to get it on the truck?

I am not understanding why even these 10 and 11 foot semi-older campers are not set up for a dually as some or most are better suited on a dually.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
5 REPLIES 5

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I went from SRW to Dually I bought some brand new Atwood swing out brackets. Total install time was about 30 minutes using a box end wrench and a ratchet set and a carpenters level. It's not rocket science: unbolt the jack add the bracket to tc check for alignment tighten. add jack, check alignment tighten and plug in electrical.

My only hesitation would be if the set you bought did not mate up with the brand on the TC. Find the TC you want buy it, then order the right extensions get them in your hands, then go pick the tc.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
link to hj swing out brackets watch out for used some are slightly bent out of alignment and hard to see with out mounting
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy some brackets, at least used ones. They are pretty universal.

I'd also have the tiedowns ready.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If the camper is semi local to you, get the prev owner to haul it to your house?
If it's not, idk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only 2 TC but both had dually front bracket extenders.
With new F350 I have about 3" clearance for both sides, so have to be very careful.
Also experienced that the extenders make weak point and had them bend.