cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duo-Therm A/C unit suddenly quit

3StratMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Starcraft Aruba travel trailer with a Duo-Therm 3107541.009 A/C unit. Unit has always worked great, but occasionally after setting up at the campsite, when I would turn on the A/C, it would not come on. I would remove the ceiling cover and jiggle the clump of wires, and it would come on and stay on for the duration of the trip. So today I decided to open up the cover and check all the wires for a loose wirenut. Turned the unit on, and it started right up. Turned it off to pull out the wires. Discovered a small red wire that looks like it came out of a wirenut. I have no idea where this wire should connect to, and now the A/C will not come on. There is a blue/white wire with a wirenut on it, but no other wire with it. Connect the 2- nothing. The red wire in question comes from a hole on the ceiling framing that also has a little white wire, as well as 2 large red wires and 2 large white wires, and the wires to the thermostat. When I touch the little red mystery wire to the 2 large red wires, the fan to the unit comes on, but not the condenser. This also happens when I touch the red wire to a wirenut that connects a white wire and a blue/white wire. Touch the wire to all other wirenutted connections, and nothing happens. When I switch the unit from "Off" to "Cool" and back, the condense clicks, but does not come on. Unit was working great until I pulled the wires out to examine them and discovered the mystery wire with a wirenut-ready end connected to nothing. Any thoughts on this?
2 REPLIES 2

3StratMan
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why it wouldn't come on right away. Always came on as soon as I flipped the switch to "cool". Never had the fan first, then the condenser later, before this.

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
I think the compressor may take a few minutes to come on, give it a couple of minutes each time you attach the red wire.