cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easy food ideas

dadechil
Explorer
Explorer
Going camping with another family at the end of the month, does anyone have a go to easy special meal that isn't the same old burgers and hot dogs
44 REPLIES 44

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Hamburger (or chicken) Packets. Thick slice an onion, julienne slice a potato, make a hamburger patty. Grease (or PAM spray) a generous size piece of thick aluminum foil, stack the onion, then hamburger patty, then sprinkle the potatoes over and lightly drizzle with olive oil (if using a lean meat) and spices. Fold the aluminum foil over and roll the edges several times to lock in the juices and stuff. Place on grill or in oven. May want to test this with your fire first to make sure everything gets done but not burned. We also do this with just veggie packets - throw any veggies in you want, but make sure they cook at like times - then grill fish or a steak. Yum!
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadechil wrote:
We ended up Doing Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on Friday ( Why haven't I put my George foreman Grill in the Camper years ago)

Did Hamburgers (mixed with pork) and Hot dogs

then tried out the camper oven and did Baked chicken leg 1/4s marinated in Italian dressing then BBQ sauce in the last 30 minutes

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions

keep them coming

Dale

I'll have to try out that chicken leg idea myself

dadechil
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up Doing Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on Friday ( Why haven't I put my George foreman Grill in the Camper years ago)

Did Hamburgers (mixed with pork) and Hot dogs

then tried out the camper oven and did Baked chicken leg 1/4s marinated in Italian dressing then BBQ sauce in the last 30 minutes

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions

keep them coming

Dale

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Now that Thanksgiving is getting close, here's one of my favorites. I make it ahead of time at home...

Stuffing Meatloaf

Ingredients

2 packages stuffing mix, dry Stove Top, or your favorite. I use Sage flavor
2 cups warm water I often use beef broth for this
2 lbs. super lean ground beef
1 lb. ground sausage
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 packages (one box) onion soup mix

Directions

Preheat oven 350 (degree symbol is supposed to go here). Coat inside of a Bundt pan with cooking spray.

Place warm water (or broth), onion soup mix and dry stuffing mix into a bowl. Mix well by hand. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow bread time to absorb water.

Add eggs, ground beef and sausage. Mix well. Best to get it blended by using your hands and incorporating it all together. This is sticky and kind of gross, but worth it in the end

Place evenly into Bundt pan. You can also put into muffin tins to make individual loaves, but I haven't tried it this way so I don't know if it affects cooking time

Bake 1 hour or until no longer pink inside.

Remove and allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting into.

I usually cook this before we leave, and then serve it by cutting thin slices, grilling them to a nice light brown on both sides and covering with a thick brown gravy. I like Heinz for this purpose. The Stuffing Meatloaf is always a hit, although its Bundt pan shape has lent it the nickname, "Toilet Seat of Meat".
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
We really like Chicken and Spaghetti when camping. Here is our favorite recipe. I substitute 3 skinless chicken breasts for the whole chicken. After cooking it can be cut up into squares and frozen in Zip-lock bags.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Meal in a box.... easy prep.
Bob

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
hokeypokey wrote:
northshore wrote:
Its almost tradition, to have what we call "cowboy beans" the first night we are camping.
We go to the coast for Thanksgiving, and depending upon how many days the kids have off from school, we spend about 7 to 10 days. It can be colder and windy there and usually will get rain with some kind of storm. The first night the Dear D will make her Cowboy Beans, its easy quick and warms you down deep.

Sounds good, what are they?

Ya, I don't know either. Sounds good, but, it also sounds like it would give me gas.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
Its almost tradition, to have what we call "cowboy beans" the first night we are camping.
We go to the coast for Thanksgiving, and depending upon how many days the kids have off from school, we spend about 7 to 10 days. It can be colder and windy there and usually will get rain with some kind of storm. The first night the Dear D will make her Cowboy Beans, its easy quick and warms you down deep.

Sounds good, what are they?

dadechil
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
GaryWT wrote:
Steak or chicken shish k bobs are our favorites with rice. Also we put ribs in the crock pot or do a smoked shoulder with potatoes and carrots on the stove. Very easy to do.

Nothing is easier than firing up grill, toss on the bobs and boil water. Friday night yum! Every camping trip!

That is an awesome ides!! and thank you everyone these are all going in my camping folder keep them coming

Dale

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
and now I want fried chicken at 630 in the morning. thanks for that haha
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Fried chicken. Day of or before pick up a buch of fried chicken and sides. I like to to throw a sheet of tinfoil on top of the rack in the bbq and slowly heat it up. SUPER crispy.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
Steak or chicken shish k bobs are our favorites with rice. Also we put ribs in the crock pot or do a smoked shoulder with potatoes and carrots on the stove. Very easy to do.

Nothing is easier than firing up grill, toss on the bobs and boil water. Friday night yum! Every camping trip!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
My wife made some mashed potatoes at home and stored them in the fridge. She also brought along some frozen meatballs, and canned beef gravy. While at the Grand canyon, she took the potatoes, heated them, the meatballs and the gravy using the microwave and we had a poor man's shepherd's pie. It was delicious, and a great meal after hiking all day. Haven't forgotten that one.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
I got rave reviews for this crock pot recipe yesterday. Can't get much easier than a crock pot?

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Slow-Cooker-Recipe-for-Creamy-Tortellini_-Spinach-and-Chicken-Soup-793674

This recipe, "Chili For A Crowd", serves 40 people. Make it for your family at home & freeze the remainder for an RV adventure later. The list of ingredients is long but it is more of an assembly job than cooking, really.

http://eatboutique.com/2012/02/01/the-silver-palates-chili-for-a-crowd/

My other ideas would require some equipment & wouldn't necssarily be easy but I've used these ideas to feed a "crowd": Seafood boil, Smoked Boston Butts & Lasagna. Good luck!
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.