cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical help

Badskwrl
Explorer
Explorer
I confess to being new to the whole RVing thing, and to having a sneaking suspicion that electricity qualifies as one of the black arts. That being said, I need some general information on electrical accessories. I have a new travel trailer with dual batteries, solar, a Honda EU 2000i generator, and an inverter. Now, I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about. I would like to have a blender in the trailer. Don't ask why, I just do. Can I run a regular AC house blender in the trailer, or must I have a unit intended specifically for the trailer? Thanks for your non-judgmental feedback.
8 REPLIES 8

Badskwrl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you all for the feedback. I'll check the pertinent information on the inverter tomorrow. I appreciate your time and experience.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Click on link.......covers batteries, converters, inverters, solar etc.

A good read for those new to RV electrical
Part 1 & 2
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just switch on that inverter and give it a go :B

Give us a post if it does not work. Would need the inverter model and wattage etc.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
When you are plugged into external AC power, your AC outlets work just like at home. That's true when the generator is running and connected. The inverter will perform a similar function for small loads; probably not a blender.

The battery system is similar to what is in a car or truck. The batteries should be charged whenever the solar is active, when you are plugged into external AC power or when the generator is in use.

You should ask the folks you bought the trailer from to give you a basic rundown on how the electrical systems work.

So....yes any home blender should work fine as long as you are connected to external power or the generator is in use. The inverter is iffy and depends on the capacity of the inverter and the wattage draw of the blender.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you certainly can. You can use just about any household appliance in your TT just like you do in your house. I would be cautious of using them through the invertor though, do to huge drain on the batteries.

Edit: Didn't mean to be repetitious. I see you already received several replies.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer is plugged into campsite shore power or your EU2000i genset then sure, run the blender just as you would at home. Wether it would run on your inverter and the batteries supplying power to the inverter no one could say until you provide details about capacity of the battery bank and the size / type of inverter you have.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You can use any 120 volt appliances in your rig when connected to shore power or when the genset is running.
If you have a large enough inverter you can run light appliances. Check the continuous wattage of the inverter, then check the appliance you would like to run to see if it is below rating of the inverter.
Remember that the inverter will use lots of battery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a regular AC blender in your TT. You will have to run the generator to use the blender.
I don't think your batteries and inverter will be enough to run a blender or, run it very long. It depends on the size of the party. 🙂 Maybe I'm wrong.
The generator will definitely run it.