cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPDM worn at roof edges - how to repair

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
When performing some maintenance on my trailer I noticed a few spots on the edge of the roof that are warn through the white surface down to the black of the EPDM roof. I know a photo would be nice here, but I have to get to work and do not have a photo bucket account handy. The warn areas are 1/2" long and right at the edge.

There are four or five of these on the edge of both sides. I put a cover over the trailer for about 8 months of the year and the worn areas are adjacent to the air conditioner. I believe that due to the AC unit sitting 18" high in the center of the roof the cover is pulled taunt over the edges. When any wind comes along the cover then slides back and forth resulting in this wear.

I have not needed to do any EPDB repair before and ask what you would recommend.

Thanks,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S
7 REPLIES 7

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same. Eternabond white is what I did.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I think we have a plan. I will run the Eternabond down the length of each side. I have ordered the tape, lap sealant, as well as the Eternabond cleaner & prime.

I will be taking some foam pipe insulation and cutting about 1/4 of it and then tucking one side into the gutter and the other side should then wrap up over the roof. That will provide a buffer this winter to avoid the same sort of chaffing issue with the cover.

Thanks again for the quick feedback,
Stu

p.s. I will likely follow up with the EPDM coatings within the next year or two as well. I do not want to wait for a problem to develop before re-coating.
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend coating the whole roof while it is still in good shape!

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

I put about 8 gallons on my 30' long EPDM roof. I put it on thick, because I do not want to do it twice.

If you have white streaks from the rubber roof, this new product will not shed like the old roof, and no more white streaks. Priceless!

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it is just the white top coating that is worn, you may get by with applying something like Liquid Roof.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I think eternabond is your only option, Its unsightly but better than a leak,.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Eternabond Tape...4" wide.

HERE

X2, and before you put your cover on again check where it's rubbing and tape a towel or something like it there.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond Tape...4" wide.

HERE
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro