cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escalade/Tahoe/Suburban suspension upgrades

Paranoid
Explorer
Explorer
So, several years ago I picked up a 2006 Escalade and a travel trailer that is about '32 feet ball to bumper. I've since towed this rig from Ohio to Florida, from Ohio to Montana and from Ohio to Arizona, then on to San Diego. I've been over everything but the Sierras at this point, and I'm sure I'll add that to the list eventually.

While it hasn't been cheap to tow, it has been stable and secure with plenty of power at all times and no trouble slowing or handling.

But I'm wondering if there are any after market products that could improve the experience even further.

I'm wondering what aftermarket products for this GM chassis will make the current towing capacity (which I am under) a more comfortable and safe experience.

Any feedback?
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Max Tow Package
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000
Coachman Freedom Express 291QBS, Honda EU2000i
13 REPLIES 13

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paranoid wrote:
BenK... I had the rear shocks replaced at Firestone before I drove out from Ohio to Arizona. I recall they had to get the shocks from the dealer, and they weren't cheap. The whole "Air Ride" self leveling system has always been dubious to me. My back end sinks considerably, even with load balancing, with a ~600 tongue weight. On my way out I saw another Escalade towing a much smaller travel trailer than mine, also with load balancing bars, that was bottomed out even worse. I pointed it out to my passenger. Mine really isn't bad. I sink a little less than 2" in back and rise about half an inch in front. But I have never noticed the air leveling that is supposed to be a feature on the Escalade do anything practical for me.

I would be inclined to go with Strutmasters or a Monroe air ride to coil strut conversion. IIRC they have the connector to fools the computer and get the check suspension light off. I did this with my 2000 town car and can't be happier!!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Paranoid
Explorer
Explorer
BenK... I had the rear shocks replaced at Firestone before I drove out from Ohio to Arizona. I recall they had to get the shocks from the dealer, and they weren't cheap. The whole "Air Ride" self leveling system has always been dubious to me. My back end sinks considerably, even with load balancing, with a ~600 tongue weight. On my way out I saw another Escalade towing a much smaller travel trailer than mine, also with load balancing bars, that was bottomed out even worse. I pointed it out to my passenger. Mine really isn't bad. I sink a little less than 2" in back and rise about half an inch in front. But I have never noticed the air leveling that is supposed to be a feature on the Escalade do anything practical for me.
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The last time checked (about 2005), the Caddie's parts are NOT inter
changeable with the Tahoe

Even though both are labeled 'Autoride'

Plus, they are very special shocks that cost several hundred EACH. Back
then, they were around $600 bucks EACH. Assume they have come down a bit
and the last time read someone checking they were around $399 EACH

Because they have a metalized shock oil (iron oxide) that changes
viscosity when exposed to a flux field (magnetic). Very nifty, but
since an iron oxide in the oil...abrasive to wear the sealing surfaces
to then leak. A very common failure mode

Plus, the rear has an air ride height system

Optional on Tahoe's but IIRC, standard in the Caddie

If you convert to standard shocks as some have advised, you will need
the kit to 'fool' the computer system into thinking it's still there
and no changes needed by the computer
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Paranoid
Explorer
Explorer
Some great info here, guys. Thanks.

Just took it up to Mogollon Rim, Arizona. The Escalade is starting to show its age, and of course, the heat out here is worse than anything we've ever subjected it to either further North through the Rockies or along the East Coast all the way down through the Appalachians into Florida. At times both the engine and the transmission were running hotter than I would have liked to see them... I just can't push the limits like I was able to do when it only had 50k miles on it.

The suspension and stability was fine, though - descending and climbing some long steep 6% grades in fairly strong cross winds and I wasn't feeling any more white knuckled than I would have in a C or A class.
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Replace the highly questionable GM shocks with something with much better rebound dampening. That is a flea in ALMOST all GM truck suspensions. Even the 3/4 & 1 tons

I would disagree on certain applications, particularly late model GMT400 trucks where GM spec'd Bilstein shocks. Pulled a couple sets pushing 200k and they had plenty of life left in them.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the highly questionable GM shocks with something with much better rebound dampening. That is a flea in ALMOST all GM truck suspensions. Even the 3/4 & 1 tons

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Does the AutoRide still function properly? Mine was toast on our 02 Yukon XL Denali. The PO had put some mid grade Napa regular shocks on the rear just before we purchased it fall 2012, about 25k ago. I installed Air Lift bags in the rear coils last year after the first tow which helped greatly but still couldn't get the ass end up enough. The bags were simply too short so I added 3/4 inch spacers this spring which made a tremendous difference.
The original AutoRide front shocks were still on the front so I just replaced those with Gabriel Max Control along with new sway bar links and sway bar bushing. Those three upgrades made a tremendous improvement to ride and handling on the front axle. I will doing the same maintenance to the rear very soon.

Shocks, sway bar links and bushings are all really maintenance on a 12 year old rig with 200k. As for a true mod, look into a Spohn track bar for the rear. The OE track bar is surprisingly flimsy. We are sitting on a seasonal this year but if we were towing every other weekend I would already have the Spohn installed.

What are you running for tires?
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Look into timbrens.
Put Timbrens on my 2500HD (Similar GM chassis).
They DESTROYED the empty ride. Took 'em off after about 50 miles.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I probably wouldn't do anything. Some swear by Bilstein shocks, but I've never had them.

It doesn't sound like you need to do anything with springs and such. That only leaves tires. Lower profiles / stiffer sidewalls help. You could change to a LT tire if you have P- tires on now.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look into timbrens.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Paranoid
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've stayed stock to make sure I don't accidentally alter the factory tow ratings (which is 8400 pounds max).

I'm not looking to increase the tow rating - in fact, I've never been anywhere near the max rating with my trailer (which is an aluminum frame ultra-lite with a single half-slide and other weight conscious design elements).

I'm looking for aftermarket solutions that will improve the experience within the factory specifications I'm already operating within. Anything that will improve ride, stability, sway. I know they sell springs, stabilizers, air spring and airbag systems and other aftermarket solutions. I'm just not familiar with any of them and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience and what their thoughts are.

The 2006 Escalade has a 6l V8 engine. It is plenty powerful enough. When I first started driving with this rig I was worried about the short wheelbase of the Tahoe chassis, but I've been through serious storms, insane wind in Wyoming, and other sketchy weather and it has never been a challenge. But if I can purchase some extra peace of mind - I'm not opposed to after market upgrades that will provide this.
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
There is a 3 inch lift kit, but it wouldn't help much. Then the rubber bushings and other suspension parts need to be replaced if worn. You can reflash it for better MPGs at certain speeds. That's about it other than tires.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The towing capacity of a vehicle is ultimately determined by the axle, tire and rim ratings. Assuming a powerful enough engine. Nothing you do above the axles will affect that tow rating.

If you want a smoother ride maybe you should look at the other suspension elements: shocks and springs ect.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper