cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EV alternative for light/medium duty trucks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
So much wheel spinning on EVs, what if they are not the right path forward? The biggest problem with renewable power and EVs is storage, the second is storage, and the third is storage. Another path is carbon capture from the atmosphere (using amine scrubbing like nuclear subs and carbon dioxide from natural gas) then splitting hydrogen from water, followed by building whatever hydrocarbon you need.

The US Navy is hard at work on this project, since it avoids storage of large amounts of jet fuel, and the difficult job of resupply of jet fuel at sea to the carriers. After all fire kills ships. The Fords were built with a very large excess electric generation capacity for this reason and many others.

Porsche now has a pilot project running in South America, Porsche syn fuel

This will work wherever you have cheap electricity and water. The products are put right into refinery feeds. No need to rebuild the approximately 1.5 Billion cars in the world. Solves storage, no worry about hydrogen embrittlement, recycles carbon dioxide, we use the existing liquid fuel distribution system. Transparent to the car/truck owner.
452 REPLIES 452

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Body panel alignment has never been a criteria for a car purchase for me.
Most of the general public won't understand or even notice what you are referring to.
I may pay closer attention on a used car in an effort to look for possible accident damage but otherwise who cares on a new car.
You see lots of Teslas on the road. They have taken huge market share from BMW and Mercedes.
For better or worse at the end of the day the public is interested in Tesla's game changing innovation and could care less about body panel alignment.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Benny37
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Benny37 wrote:
map40 wrote:
Tesla was never known by their quality.

Any one I ever looked at close, no matter the model,3, X, S, doesn't matter, had the worst job of body panel alignment I've ever seen. They need to go to a good body shop for a going over before they ever hit the road. The body panels were aligned better on 1970's Ford Mavericks and Pintos.

Really! Tesla is building an innovative looking car to compete with a Maserati! I can't imagine much effort was put in making sure TEsla had the cleanest lines in the industry. Tesla had much bigger challenges than body panel alignment.
Their innovation is certainly not about the body panels.
Their innovation transformed EV's from economy minded commuter boxes that the mainstream manufactures were struggling to build.
To a totally new concept that delivered enough performance and viability that it threatens to eliminate ICE cars in the future.
AS I keep saying you need to drive a Tesla to understand that the EV revolution is all about. Debating/chastising body panel alignment totally misses the boat!

Lighten up Francis. When slapping down the coin for an expensive vehicle its sort of nice when the body panels align as opposed to looking like it had collision damage repaired by Earl Scheib. That applies equally to an EV or ICE. The body panels are aligned better on a cheap Kia Soul which one could buy 2+ for the price of a base model 3. Those Model 3's look like a cross between a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire and a 1976 Ford Maverick except the Sunfires and Mavericks body panels aligned better.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
One problem with ice engines and H2 is nitrous oxide may be produced. It has something to do with the temperature. I don't have a good understanding of the problem--just that it requires a special design.

Fuel cells don't share that problem, so far as I am aware.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
free radical wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
Lantley wrote:
You Chicken little men are too much. A Tesla semi breaks down and you want to scrap the entire program. I wonder if Kenworth had this bashing when there first truck broke down!
Funny thing is we have large wrecker companies, trucker down website and all kinds of resources dedicated to repairing over the road semi trucks.
Why?............Because they break down! They all breakdown. I don't think the Tesla Semi truck sky is falling just yet!

No worries, Musks semi will be put out of business by a real semi truck company, Freightliner, with a 600 mile range hydrogen powered semi and 2 actual front seats for team driving.

https://www.kezi.com/news/zero-emissions-semi-truck-being-designed-by-osu-portland-based-truck-manuf...

Wasnt Nikola suposed to do that?
What happened.
Hydrogen fuel cost more to make then diesel,its extremely dangerous volatile to handle and store.
Its a dead END
Get over it

Freightliner has already been shipping their 220-mile range electric eCascadia, part of their Cascadia architecture. Hydrogen is the next step for long range.
And they are a subsidiary of Daimler.

Building a hydrogen powered vehicle has been possible for quite some time. Producing hydrogen affordably in the volume needed in a green manner has always been the problem. And it still is.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
Lantley wrote:
You Chicken little men are too much. A Tesla semi breaks down and you want to scrap the entire program. I wonder if Kenworth had this bashing when there first truck broke down!
Funny thing is we have large wrecker companies, trucker down website and all kinds of resources dedicated to repairing over the road semi trucks.
Why?............Because they break down! They all breakdown. I don't think the Tesla Semi truck sky is falling just yet!

No worries, Musks semi will be put out of business by a real semi truck company, Freightliner, with a 600 mile range hydrogen powered semi and 2 actual front seats for team driving.

https://www.kezi.com/news/zero-emissions-semi-truck-being-designed-by-osu-portland-based-truck-manuf...

What happened.
Hydrogen fuel cost more to make then diesel,its extremely dangerous volatile to handle and store.
Its a dead END
Get over it

Freightliner has already been shipping their 220-mile range electric eCascadia, part of their Cascadia architecture. Hydrogen is the next step for long range.
And they are a subsidiary of Daimler.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I worked in the grocery industry for 41 years. Deliveries late or not showing up are unacceptable. The grocer may fine the company, or worse take display space away from the offender.Missing the delivery window causes all sorts of problems for the retailer, so a I'm sorry doesn't cut it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Nikola decided to go with just a battery for the first truck. Hydrogen still in development.

330 miles range. https://promotions.nikolamotor.com/tre

Interesting the hydrogen TRE is described as 500 mile range.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
Lantley wrote:

What happened.
Its a dead END
Get over it

map40
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Yeah, but how many of the Tesla semi's on the road have broken down? Percentage-wise what would that be? ๐Ÿ™‚

You are not making a point, you are just showing how ridiculous this stupid discussion is. Do you want the percentage of produced trucks? Why not based on estimated lifespan?
You guys may not like the Tesla Semi, neither do I. But that does not change the fact that is made from a company that weather you like it or not brought a technology to market and became the fastest growing automotive company in history.
Nobody does that unless they do something right.
The semi has a lot of points against it, it needs a special charger, the range is limited, is an emerging technology in the segment. But I'm sure that even with that there will be applications in which it will work better than a regular semi, even if it is for just 1% of the applications that is a lot of trucks.
The point is: stop the ridiculous bashing of a unproven new vehicle. Nobody knows yet what is going to happens with it. But if they only capture 0.25% of the market they will have enough demand to produce their forecast. Last time they took this bet they took the title of the #1 luxury carmaker in USA from Mercedes and BMW COUNTING THEIR WHOLE LINEUP.
Unless you think you are smarter than Mercedes, BMW and all their customers and history wont repeat itself....
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
Yeah, but how many of the Tesla semi's on the road have broken down? Percentage-wise what would that be? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
map40 wrote:
It is a new product, but Tesla was never known by their quality. Or said a different way, their quality is sub-par at best, statistically speaking.
That said, there is no need to troll...

Right on!! So when FedX โ€œabsolutely, positively has to be there overnightโ€ can I assume that they won't use a Tesla Semi? After all "Tesla was never known by their quality. Or said a different way, their quality is sub-par at best, statistically speaking." (your words not mine)

So if you had to have a pacemaker put in your chest, would you want one that is "sub-par at best"? Or do you want one that will 100% be the very best and reliable pacemaker on the market?

Unlike people that put up with their electric cars that don't work, the shipping world is MUCH less forgiving x's the 100th power.

I'm much like the shipping world. I just signed a retainer for a lawyer because my electric car maker moved my fix date out another 2 months. In two months it will be a year that my car has been in the shop. Nice hu? :S

I understand you are not happy about your car and that you have a personal problem with the Tesla semi, but I said nothing to disagree with you. Further more, kind of agreed with you. Yet again, you are giving me attitude? All in generic statements, not precise normalized data? Whether you like it or not there are several electric cars that have demonstrated above average reliability (this coming from a guy who drove a Town Car for 530K miles)
I feel bad for you and your negative experience, but as I said, there is no need to troll. And you can keep the attitude to yourself...
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Cr@p, now my Cheetos are going to be late!! What is going on here? Been out a month and they are already breaking down.

Tusk wrote:
Musk said that the drivetrain is guaranteed to last 1 million miles and it happens to share many components with Teslaโ€™s passenger vehicles.

Well hell. That didn't age well!!!
Yes I understand the Semi has now stopped production due to these two incidents for which Tesla is being sued and will soon be bankwupt and Elon is going to jail.

Dรฉjร  vu all over again

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
It is a new product, but Tesla was never known by their quality. Or said a different way, their quality is sub-par at best, statistically speaking.
That said, there is no need to troll...

Right on!! So when FedX โ€œabsolutely, positively has to be there overnightโ€ can I assume that they won't use a Tesla Semi? After all "Tesla was never known by their quality. Or said a different way, their quality is sub-par at best, statistically speaking." (your words not mine)

So if you had to have a pacemaker put in your chest, would you want one that is "sub-par at best"? Or do you want one that will 100% be the very best and reliable pacemaker on the market?

Unlike people that put up with their electric cars that don't work, the shipping world is MUCH less forgiving x's the 100th power.

I'm much like the shipping world. I just signed a retainer for a lawyer because my electric car maker moved my fix date out another 2 months. In two months it will be a year that my car has been in the shop. Nice hu? :S
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln