cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever get "The Look"?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our hybrid for eleven years now. Every now and then, often when it is raining, we see "the Look". Often from folks in huge class A pushers with triple slides. Or any large RV really. They drive past ourcamp site and you can see it allover their face. A look that says " with I would have bought one of those hybrids". Or Wow! setting up, or taking down, in the rain. Now that looks like fun. Wonder if they would trade? It's simple hybrid envy. And it shows itself now and again
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
28 REPLIES 28

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 3 pop-ups, a 17 ft. hybrid, a 25 ft. 5th wheel and now a 30 ft. Class C towing a Chevy Sonic. They all had their time and place but doing it over I would skip the hybrid. Nothing really wrong with it but we started workamping and spending a lot more time in our RV than anticipated so only kept the hybrid 2 yrs, shortest of any we had. Got tired of the set up and down, no nice chair or couch and being sheltered by canvas. Also, really not light enough to pull with a smaller vehicle.
Jayco-noslide

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
My hybrid is set up on the side of the house after another wet weekend of fun. It will stay set up until completely dry. We listened to the neighbors talk til one o'clock. Not because they were loud. Just because the canvas does not block out noise. I am saving up for a real trailer. After eleven years I am through.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I started sleeping in the back of my truck and "upgraded" to a 8ft pop up (hence my screen name PUCampin) The DW came after, and we had several good trips in it. The ultimate "Look" from DW came after a stay in a CG with one open restroom a 15 minute walk away. I was told it was fine for me to go #1 in the bushes but it didn't work for her. We were shortly thereafter owners of our current 180CK. While the pop up would not have worked for our now family of 5, I sometimes yearn for it's simplicity.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I think you have it backwards. For many of us with large rigs like DP's it most likely is a look of envy. Like "I wish life was still that simple"! There are many days when I would rather be towing a Hybrid or TT. Usually happens after I have to fork over four grand to a Cummins repair shop for a "diesel" repair.....

Wow! that one repair would come real close to buying a new pop-up!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have it backwards. For many of us with large rigs like DP's it most likely is a look of envy. Like "I wish life was still that simple"! There are many days when I would rather be towing a Hybrid or TT. Usually happens after I have to fork over four grand to a Cummins repair shop for a "diesel" repair.....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry...I got, "The Look," when I looked in the mirror and decided that I had had enough. When we went to a hard sided travel trailer we started camping A LOT more and that included camping in a lot more difficult weather..

We certainly enjoyed our years with tent ends and made lots of good memories...but we don't miss it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people understand "different jokes for different folks." Others may think their choices are better and superior to others, but I think they are a small minority. As I've gotten older, I really don't care what others think, especially about my choice of RV and I try to avoid judging others and compensate for the biases that I do have.

I can only remember one occasion where we were snubbed due to our RV status. We were having a conversation with a fellow camper, and it came up that he had a DP. When he learned that we were in a pop-up, he couldn't end the conversation fast enough. Otherwise, we have met a lot of great people that were camping in all styles of RVs. I'm happy to see other folks camping in whatever style they choose and can afford.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Not a hybrid, but when we had our pop-up ... I got "the look" from my wife every time it rained! Although, it was not a look of envy. It was a look of, "I want to kill you for dragging me out here!"

Then I got the "ultimate LOOK" one day. She said ... get me a real trailer, with real walls, or I'll never go camping again.

2 weeks later we had a new trailer (with 4 walls not made of canvas!)

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We had two Trailmanors over the years and people would actually set up chairs or sit at their picnic table and watch us setup. You'd think it was new technology or something 🙂
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Funny story, not about hybrids but about the look. When first purchased a large for the wheel and took it on our first trip to Oak Mtn. SP the weather was cool but sunny. We got several comments from tent campers that we were not camping. Well that evening it got cold and then around 4:00 am the rain came. I went outside around 5:00 watching those tenters trying to pack up in the cold rain. I couldn't help myself but to ask how they're camping was going and then went inside to my nice warm and dry camper while I got a nice one to get salute. Moral of the story, I'd take a hybrid over a tent anyday
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
We love sleeping under canvas and I like pulling a short camper, especially when we get lost and end up downtown!

My sister and her husband own a huge fifth-wheel. When we bought our Kodiak 160SVT and she came over to look at it, she didn't even come all the way inside. She just poked her head in. Her idea of primitive camping is having only three TV channels. Different strokes...
BabaMartha

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Did we ever get "the Look".......never.

Actually, I feel it's the other way around. When we see them (which is not too often), they don't seem happy, and when they sit outside they have a a look of (hey look at my rig)......and we feel sorry for them. I even think some of them don't even know what camping is all about....FUN !!
We thought of going to the dark side this year by buying a fifth wheel, but changed our minds and went for a Roo 23WS (our third hybrid).:-)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ummmm sorry, no. Always the other way around - The Look that says we can't wait to get rid of this leaky, cold hybrid and get a "real" travel trailer. 😛

At the time we bought our TrailCruiser hybrid, RVision offered two versions of the same trailer - a hybrid with a single hybrid bed at the front with permanent jack 'n jill beds at the rear and an otherwise identical travel trailer without the hybrid bed at the front. Having dealt with all the vagaries of a popup with tenting for years I was ready for a travel trailer, my wife wanted the hybrid so guess what we got. :R That lasted two seasons and finally she too saw the light so we traded to a travel trailer and haven't looked back since. :B I'm happy for those who do enjoy hybrids but we wouldn't ever consider one again, not any more than I'd ever consider a large 5th either. Different strokes for different folks. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
(chuckle)

We really liked our hybrid, but it was pretty easy to be tempted to the dark side. 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375