cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excursion - Too many miles?

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Currently own a 2005 Ford Excursion, V10, with about 120K on the clock. All is stock from Ford.

We currently tow a 25' TT that weighs 4500# dry (probably 6000# loaded). We have taken it out west from VA to Yellowstone 3 times.

My son graduates college this year and we wanted to take him back west this summer since he loves Yellowstone. The round trip is at least 5000 miles, and if anyone has been that way they know it can be desolate for stretches of 60+ miles or more at a time.

Here is my concern. Since the truck has 125K miles and is now 10 years old, would it be wise to make the trip with the current rig?

I know it is a judgement call, but I was looking for experience from others who have made similar trips with vehicles of the same vintage (10 years old with 100K miles).

Thanks.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
31 REPLIES 31

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:

Too bad Ford didn't use the Torqshift on the 2005 model V10's (I understand the 6.0 diesels were so equipped), just a thought.!

It wouldn't have helped you on I-80, as 3-4-5 on the Torqueshift is the same as 2-3-OD on the 4R100 but it would have most likely helped on highway 89, where the Torqueshift has a lower 1st gear, and an extra "in-between" gear which the 4R100 really needs.

4.30 gears would really be your friend for lots of towing. There's reason the V10 gets an extra 5,000 pounds towing capacity with the deeper gears.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The V-10 will just keep on going.

As far as the tranny being a bit doggy.....no kidding! switching to 4.30`s and getting a 5star tuner with a tow tune will really make the V-10 shine!

55mph up any significant grade is very good....even for a loaded diesel.

sounds like you did good. hope you had a great trip!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an update.

Following the trip to Elkmont, the AC compressor blew up. At least it happened before we went out west! Our mechanic repaired and we had 2 weeks to drive the Ex and test the repair. Since all looked good, we gave ourselves the greenlight.

About 2 weeks ago we headed west. Long story short, back home now having logged over 5000 miles. The odometer now shows about 135K. We drove through some desolate areas such as 89A into North Rim, and across WY on US 26. I really held my breath on those sections, and the Ex toiled on...

Some snippets for conversation: Route 89A into North Rim from the east is a real bear! The grade and switchbacks (with a strong wind from the west, and temps around 95F) were some of the worst we've encountered, I had to down shift into L1 and the v10 was screaming at 4000 RPM to get up that sucker! BTW the North Rim was beautiful.

Heading north out of Salt Lake City on I15 was a rough go, the temp was 100F with a very strong head wind meaning I had the pedal mashed for hours turning almost 3000 RPM to keep the engine in the torque curve. We saw 2 Class A's that bit the dust in those conditions, poor folks!

FWIW, the V10 with the right tranny is probably a capable engine, but the 4R100, she's a dog. For example, when I hit a mountain grade with a headwind I'd get her up to 75 MPH trying to keep the RPM's over 3000 (in "D" with OD off), but the rig quickly would lose speed on the climb and I'd have to downshift to L2 and creep up the grade at 55 MPH, 3000 RPM. BTW, the gearing is 3.73 in the differentials.

Too bad Ford didn't use the Torqshift on the 2005 model V10's (I understand the 6.0 diesels were so equipped), just a thought.

Just a few local trips planned for the rest of the year, and off we go in September to Hershey motorhome shopping, again!
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update. that`s all good to hear. you should have a good trip (sounds like a great trip BTW).

Have a great trip.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Update - it was decided that we would have our mechanic perform all the recommended maintenance on the truck, some which was overdue (plugs, differential and transfer case fluid, fuel filter, repaired leaking tranny real seal, new exhaust system, replaced bad tie rod, steering damper). She should be as good as new as reasonably possible.

All the reservations for campgrounds have been made, 1st stop North Rim, then Zion, Tetons, Yellowstone, then back to VA.

A preliminary shake down test trip to Elkmont Campground this weekend, 200 miles each way.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
The 02 X just hit 300K miles and the 00 X is at about 270K miles. I'd drive either one anywhere tomorrow. Both are running original motors and tranny's.
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

beergardens
Explorer
Explorer
If it has one, I would replace the fuel filter for sure, and if the fuel pump is original I would put in a new one before the trip. After many years working in the automotive industry, I would estimate that 50% of vehicle breakdowns during the summer are fuel pump related and 120k miles is a decent lifespan for one.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
vjstangelo wrote:
Hi all. Currently own a 2005 Ford Excursion, V10, with about 120K on the clock. All is stock from Ford.

We currently tow a 25' TT that weighs 4500# dry (probably 6000# loaded). We have taken it out west from VA to Yellowstone 3 times.

My son graduates college this year and we wanted to take him back west this summer since he loves Yellowstone. The round trip is at least 5000 miles, and if anyone has been that way they know it can be desolate for stretches of 60+ miles or more at a time.

Here is my concern. Since the truck has 125K miles and is now 10 years old, would it be wise to make the trip with the current rig?

I know it is a judgement call, but I was looking for experience from others who have made similar trips with vehicles of the same vintage (10 years old with 100K miles).

Thanks.

If even modestly well maintained this engine/driveline should go 200-300 Thousand miles with no problem.

I'd drive that thing around the world on an expedition as it sits.

My little Jeep Grand Cherokee 6cyl 4L has 220,000 miles and is like new, uses no oil and is in great shape. 125K on that V10 engine is a cakewalk.

Just for comparison In 1972 I drove a 1969 Ford police car with well over 100k on it back and forth to Alaska...waaay overloaded with two peoples' worldly belongings. Today engines are so much better than that and will go so many more miles...Dont worry...GO

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
When my old truck had 125,000 miles on it, I had no qualms about taking it anywhere or doing anything with it. It still felt new and gave me no indications of potential problems.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Jeremy, thanks for clarifying, I get what you mean now. COPs not usually a problem but that doesn't mean they're never a problem!

They are a known problem on Fords. that`s why people carry a couple spares with them.....or at least they should!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
vjstangelo wrote:
Again, thanks for the replies.

Plan B has always been we have a Good Sams Towing Plan membership, but often we lack a cell signal way out there. I think that if we pull the trigger and go, I will invest in a cell phone signal booster.

Things I will probably do to the truck:

New Tires;
Service Transmission;
New Plugs;
New Hoses & Belts;
I've been noticing a wiff of antifreeze at times when the heater activates, so have the heater core replaced, it may be weeping;
Maybe change out oil on rear diff.

I had a 2000 V10 Ex. 150,000+ when I sold it. Pulled a 9,000 lb TT with it. I did everything on your list in addition to adding a transmission cooler from a 6.0L diesel. It over twice as big as the stock V10 cooler. Did Mount Rushmore in 2012 from K.C. No problems. You should be good to go by doing everything on your list, for another 120,000 miles. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeremy, thanks for clarifying, I get what you mean now. COPs not usually a problem but that doesn't mean they're never a problem!

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 00 Excursion that literally was sitting in the fields and was sorely neglected back in 2008. I took it to local dealership and got a shopping list (neglected maintenance) of items fixed there under its still active extended warranty. A week and a half later I picked it up and went home and hooked up my then new TT and drove to FL making it all the way to Key West and back, a 3000 mile trip in some of the worst winter storms and dark mountain passes. I eventually put 10K towing miles on it but mainly short trips but one more to FL. The trans was a little loose for me when towing heavy when it was hot but that truck was a tank and never missed a beat. I had to replace 3-5 COP's throughout the years but no problems with drivetrain.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
AndyW wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again - it's really hard to 'wear out' any properly maintained modern vehicle unless you're really beating on it. 120k isn't even close.

What usually happens is people start skimping on maintenance because their truck is getting up there in years and miles and they feel it isn't worth the time/money any more. Then it becomes unreliable.

x2!
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)