cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust time

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
It's getting to be that time. Looking at new exhaust for my 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab short box 4x4. It has the 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel in it. I am wondering what others are using. Looking for something that isn't overly loud or have a drone at highway speeds. We tend to tow for long periods (10-12 hrs a day) so I don't feel like listening to it drone on and on. Looked at replacing with all Motorcraft parts, but the cost of the muffler alone would pay for a new stainless steel exhaust. I know the Cummins and Duramax sound different so looking from feedback from 6.0 Powerstroke owners.
Thank you,
Shane
27 REPLIES 27

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Donaldson makes some very nice diesel mufflers.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input, I am still looking into this. Not doing it to be cool or anything like that. Just WI winters are taking a toll on the stock setup, and a replacement Motorcraft muffler is close to 600 dollars. I'm not gonna pay that for just a muffler. So keep the ideas and input coming.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
jagocampers wrote:
Really like the Banks Monster. Just worried how it sounds in the cab under a load. My father had one on his Nissan Titan and that was LOUD while under a load. It drove my mother nuts. I dunno if I could listen to that for hours on end. Any other input?

Sound isn't as bad as you think. Has kind of baritone sound to it. Have heard louder from other aftermarket exhaust systems. With stock system, I never heard turbo/wastegate in action while at idle. With the Banks, I do. Sounds cool. With any mod done to engine, you need to get rid of the heat quicker. Exhaust was 1st thing I did. Liked the results I gained in power and torque. When my FICM went south, I had it repaired and "beefed" up a tad. Though it didn't make for any sound changes, it runs and pulls much better in conjunction w/ the Banks system.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
this old man just leaves the exhaust alone. I messed with one once and can still remember the drone when towing.

On second thought just whack a little off the end of the pipe and weld an extension on it the size that looks like you cold drive the lawn tractor in it and turn around. Then you are cool and in style. :W

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't done it yet, many, many people have uploaded videos on youtube where they have recorded different exhaust notes for you to hear. Granted, it won't be a perfect representation but it may help weed out some that you just know are going to be too loud.

Just search 6.0 powerstroke exhaust and many will come up.
I love me some land yachting

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
Really like the Banks Monster. Just worried how it sounds in the cab under a load. My father had one on his Nissan Titan and that was LOUD while under a load. It drove my mother nuts. I dunno if I could listen to that for hours on end. Any other input?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Banks Monster exhaust from turbo back. Put mine on in June '06 and still going strong even with all the salt use during winter here in UPstate NY.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the FTE in either the 17.5 or the 30 inch sizes for a drone issue.. If you want to go all the way, step up to a Donaldson muffler but have your wallet out for that one. FTE sells direct at resonable prices in both 4" and 5".
Puma 30RKSS

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the Ford 6.0 exhaust system was part of the emissions package. I recall the exhaust was not cheap to replace from Ford.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I Will second the FTE Resonator, I tow fairly heavy roughly 15 k , magnaflow 28 inch muffler with the FTE res just off the down pipe, no drone at all and you can talk without shouting in the cab, best $$$ i have spent on my exhaust system.

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 excursion has a 4" MBRP turbo back system. When I bought it, it had no muffler or cat. The jet sound was cool but the drone at highway speeds (especially while towing) was obnoxious. You could not hear the person in the passenger seat. I installed an FTE 4"x30" resonator/muffler. It still has a little bit of the jet sound at idle and a nice rumble while accelerating. It is quiet while cruising at highway speeds (I can hear the kids in the 3rd row without them having to scream) and the wife likes it.

CKNEK
Explorer
Explorer
Corsa if they make one for the Ford 6.0. If not get a Corsa muffler and have an exhaust shop build the rest.

I hate drone had a Magnaflow on an old 350 GM and it drove me nuts, I put up with it until I sold the truck.

My 07 Duramax has a Corsa cat back system the muffler is a full 4" straight through design and the best part is no drone at all, nada, none, sounds like a stock truck when riding in the cab even when pulling a decent grade under load. Has a nice jet engine whoosh when romping on it with the windows down.
07 GMC CCSB LBZ Duramax with a few goodies.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The problem is, lots of guys will tell you their system "sounds great" or "isn't too loud" and will talk them up good - even if they're completely obnoxious.
If at all possible, try to find one you like on someones truck and ask them what they have.
Good luck!