cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F - 150 FYI for 7 pin charging pin

Scotccrn
Explorer
Explorer
For all you F-150 owners, found out today that my battery charging pin in my 7pin plug was dead. Therefore, it has not been charging or providing power to the trailer for the year that I have owned it. I was about to take it to the dealer when I did an internet search. Apparently, Ford does doesn't like to have that pin hot from the factory. If you look in the baggie that came with the truck, you will find a relay plug in the bag with the brake controller harness. This needs to be installed in order for the battery charging pin to be hot. This may have been covered already in previous posts but I did not see it. The truck or trailer did not inform me of this. The diagram and instructions to install it are in the bag. This saved me $100 or more. You might want to check your pin/fuse panel. You might be going without battery charge too.
17 REPLIES 17

samler17
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with my 2011 F-150. Luckily the dealer figured out what was wrong.
samler17:C

drewzaun
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2013 F-150 the relay and fuse were in the harness bag along with instructions about what the parts were and where to put them. Same with the 2001 F-250 I had previously. No confusion here, maybe Ford listened to complsints.

FWIW I work with electrical circuits and there is no point having a hot lead that does nothing. Not only is that lead a potential hazard to someone working on the rear end but metallic faults can feed back through to the computer and cause trouble. While im not an auto mechanic this sort of thing makes me a ton of money, so the engineers at Ford made the right call imo to ship with the relay out. It only takes a minute, instructions are clear (at least ime) and to me it makes sense. Ymmv.

SGardiner
Explorer
Explorer
When we picked up our F-150 last year I found the bag and relay in the glove box. A google search of the code told me what it was for. The dealer installed for free when I had the vehicle in for service.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Which BTW is where the fuel pump RESET button in.
IF your Ford every refuses to start after a hard "bump" And you can't hear the fuel pump. Hit the reset button. It may run again. I've done it.

Had this exact same thing happen with a Ford Ranger I had. Hit a hard bump, it died. I had no idea about the reset. Had my emergency service tow me home. On the way, the tow driver mentioned the reset button. I found it when I got home. Started right up.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
BigDaddyHfx wrote:
...When you buy a truck to tow, get the maximum tow package why would they not either install them or tell me about them...

Because not everyone with a truck wants or needs the charge line hot and it is a potential battery drain.

Not really a potential battery drain on a Ford. It is still ONLY hot with the engine running. When the ignition switch is off, and the engine is not running, the charge line is not hot.
If the battery drains with the engine runnng. You have other more serious issues...

Allow me to rephrase, a potential short circuit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been awhile since I have senn it, But I believe it is grey.
On pre 2004 Fords, it went in the fuse box under the hood. My 2004 just went into the fuse pannel infront of the passenger seat. Which BTW is where the fuel pump RESET button in.
IF your Ford every refuses to start after a hard "bump" And you can't hear the fuel pump. Hit the reset button. It may run again. I've done it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
What color is the relay plug ?
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
BigDaddyHfx wrote:
...When you buy a truck to tow, get the maximum tow package why would they not either install them or tell me about them...

Because not everyone with a truck wants or needs the charge line hot and it is a potential battery drain.

Not really a potential battery drain on a Ford. It is still ONLY hot with the engine running. When the ignition switch is off, and the engine is not running, the charge line is not hot.
If the battery drains with the engine runnng. You have other more serious issues.

Do agree, Not every one wants it hot, and not every one with a truck towes

Ford does tell you, its in your Owners manual, it explains how to install what port to plug it into and how to wire your brake control.

Yes its amazing what you learn if you if you actually read the manual or have ever used a VOM
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Ford have been doing that since at least 1999. My 99 and 03 F-150s came with the extra relay/fuse for 7-pin trailering in bags in the glove boxes. So did my 2011 Suburban. Check you brake controller one too!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check anyway... I have a GM but my 40A fusible link that feeds it was blown. It was working at one time, I think I probably cooked it when I hooked up the truck to the trailer before unplugging the converter. Now I carry a spare.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
BigDaddyHfx wrote:

If the battery drains with the engine runnng. You have other more serious issues.

Ford does tell you, its in your Owners manual, it explains how to install what port to plug it into and how to wire your brake control.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
BigDaddyHfx wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
BigDaddyHfx wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
I towed 6600km last year and my pin wasn't hot either (2011 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost). 80% of the time we camp with FHU's and don't go off grid two weekends in a row. I always thought that it was charging but not charging all the way on short trips (we have 2 batteries). I found out this spring when I went to hook up the trailer and it wasn't giving me any juice.

I read in another sites forum about the relay and fuse. Found them in the pouch behind the seat (where I put it 18 months before) and installed them.

When you buy a truck to tow, get the maximum tow package why would they not either install them or tell me about them. Plus they could label the bag they come in better (other than just a part number) to tell you what it is and to install it.