cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-150 HDPP?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is searching for a new to him F-150 is there an easy way to know if the truck has the heavy payload and / or trailer package? This will mostly be for his daily driver and a few times a year to haul his small car enclosed trailer to swap meets, so a half ton will be a good fit.
29 REPLIES 29

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I forgot about the mirrors... In my gen truck, the big tow mirrors were standard for the max tow.. But, I think you could get them as an option on a regular tow package truck? The same with the current gen, you can get the tow mirrors as an option. So not the total tell on the lot..

Still gotta look at the payload sticker for sure, or have the window sticker.

BTW, I love my truck! 🙂

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
The towing mirrors are an option, they do not come with the max tow package or the HDPP (at least for the last 2 years, don't know about previous years). The only way you can easily tell the HDPP is by the wheels, but you'd have to know what your looking for. They can be easily confused with ones that are very similar. I can tell the difference by sight, but then I have one so I know what to look for.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mitch, good info. Started to look for one with the big mirrors on the lot today to see if that was part of a max tow package, none on the lot that way.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a "Heavy Duty Payload Package"... Not the so called "Heavy Duty TOW Package" which it often gets confused with..

F150's have several "tow packages" available thru the years..

Basically, if you get an F150 that has a factory installed hitch, that's considered the "tow package". From there, they have what is called the "Max Tow Package". Then they have the "Heavy Duty Payload package" which includes all the stuff the Max Tow has, but has a higher GVWR than the standard F150's.

In 2015 when they went to the "Beer Can" (AKA Aluminum) body style, they lowered the GVWR on them, but they still retained about the same "Payload" numbers as the prior gen of F150.

I have a 13 F150 that has the Max Tow option and has a GVWR of #7700 and a sticker payload of #1920. Has a #4050 rear GAWR and a #1100 tongue weight rated factory hitch. It's about #500 more than the average GVWR of the standard F150's of it's gen.

The 7 lug wheels went out after the last gen I think.. The 7 lugs were 10.25" semi float axles too. The new HDPP trucks with the 6 lugs are just 9.75" axle now, just like my 13..

Anyway, all the OP needs for his Dad is a Max Tow at most.. Those are fairly common compared to the HDPP trucks and would be more than enough.

Good luck! Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
You need to find a Ford VIN decoder that will list the options of that vehicle. I have a link for Ram, but not for Ford.

What rhagfo said. I bet somebody on the F150 forum could help you find this information.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I don't know if it is true on the F150, but when I was looking for my 2019 Expedition, I learned that the only way you could get that back up assist dial was to have the heavy tow package.

That is not the HDPP(Heavy Duty Payload package). The Expy doesn't have that package as an option. Only the F150. Neither is the Max Tow package an option for the Expy.

Sorry. Confused with the Heavy Duty tow package.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I don't know if it is true on the F150, but when I was looking for my 2019 Expedition, I learned that the only way you could get that back up assist dial was to have the heavy tow package.

That is not the HDPP(Heavy Duty Payload package). The Expy doesn't have that package as an option. Only the F150. Neither is the Max Tow package an option for the Expy.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to find a Ford VIN decoder that will list the options of that vehicle. I have a link for Ram, but not for Ford.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Depending on year, things to look for, are 7-lug wheels, large towing mirrors, and e-rated tires. On some dealer sites, you can view the original window sticker on used vehicles.

Jerry

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Will a ford dealer do that with used trucks?

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Well, I was thinking there would be some way to tell without looking at all the stickers.

There is. Just call a Ford dealer, tell them what you want, and they'll find it. If they don't find it, they can order it. You don't have to look at a single sticker.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I was thinking there would be some way to tell without looking at all the stickers. Honestly he doesn’t NEED the HDPP for his small trailer, but might as well have it.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tell dad to be aware that although Ford adds say the F150HDPP has a 3200 lb payload sticker... all that weight can't go in the bed over the trucks small 4800 rawr. The most a F150HDPP cab carry back there before exceeding its 4800 rawr is in the 2400-2500 lb range depending on how the truck is configured. The payload number is a gvwr based payload and comes from front and rear axles together.

Older F150HD had 7 lug wheels but newer models use 6 lug wheels. I'm sure HDPP owners will have some ideas how to determine the newer HDPP trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Check the yellow sticker on the driver door. My HDPP is 2460#. Standard is about 1000# less.

BUT, you will probably have to look at 1000 stickers before you find one. They are very rare.
RVing since 1995.