cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-150 Non Ecoboost 3.5 towing?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tried towing with what appears to be the current standard Ford engine? I know how everyone raves about the turbo models, but how about the majority of F-150's on the lot? Thinking of towing something under 5,000 total weight with one.
53 REPLIES 53

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to pull the book. It's going down for a clutch job today, first time it's broken down in over 10 years. Clutch is fine, slave leaked.

Mine is a 5 speed stick.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JiminDenver wrote:
Haven't read the whole thread but I do have a 04 F150 with the V6. It's only rated to tow 3200 pounds and the cargo capacity is right at a half ton. It's a 4x4 toy, not a truck.

Unloaded it's a spiffy little thing but load it down or tow something and you really notice.
Wasn't the 2004 V-6 rated at 202hp with a 4 speed automatic compared to 2016 V-6 rated at 283hp with a 6 speed automatic?

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't read the whole thread but I do have a 04 F150 with the V6. It's only rated to tow 3200 pounds and the cargo capacity is right at a half ton. It's a 4x4 toy, not a truck.

Unloaded it's a spiffy little thing but load it down or tow something and you really notice.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I know it's not a direct answer to your question but a friend of mine in Texas bought a new Ford but it had the 3.7 base model. Doing some research the V-6 had more hp then the old 460 during the late 70's. Use to pull all the time with that.

As long as your friend knows the limitations it should work fine.

But. What about the torque of that old 460CI. 385 FT pounds. V6=253. Remember. It's the torque that makes stuff move.

Sort of correct but not really.

Torque at the crank shaft isn't what determines if the stuff will move. It's the torque at the wheel. With the newer transmissions, they are better able to coordinate the gears so you have the torque at the wheels even if the engine doesn't have as much torque.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Anyone tried towing with what appears to be the current standard Ford engine? I know how everyone raves about the turbo models, but how about the majority of F-150's on the lot? Thinking of towing something under 5,000 total weight with one.

Back in 2011 when the 3.7, 5.0, and 3.5 EB all made their debut, I remember reading that the 3.7 NA V6 was the biggest surprise to the writer. Within it's rated limits, it is a great engine.

A friend of mine has the 3.7 in his 2011 2wd supercab and pulls a popup. He's been happy with the performance and durability, and he is a chevy guy.

With the aluminum body change, the engine displacement dropped from 3.7 to 3.5 liters.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:

Not over 5,000 gross weight? Ha. You're in mid-size SUV territory. A longer wheel base pick up is all that much better.

If you only tow occasionally, and you don't mind rev'ing the motor when it wants to rev, then you're good. High RPM does NOT mean death for your engine. Don't believe the nay-say.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
For a small TT, sure, why not? I don't see a problem.

Not a F150, but I towed with a 3.5L 270HP V6 Toyota Highlander for more than 140,000 miles (both work and play). My TT for much of that time was a 16' 2700 lb KZ Spree Escape E14RB. 7' width, 100" tall. I towed it through the Rocky Mountains several times. Climbing the San Rafael Swell in 90* heat and a stiff headwind had me down to about 38 mph and in 2nd gear (I wasn't flooring it or anything though), but that was about the worst of it. In most conditions, it was enough power to do just fine at 60-65 mph highway speed.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
The dealers here in South Texas stock a lot of models with the standard 3.5 engine and I was asking if anyone had any experience towing with one.

i believe you mean the standard 3.7 v-6 engine.

the 3.5 is the Ecoboost.
When they went to the aluminum body the standard engine went to a normally asperated 3.5

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The standard engine for the F-150 Ford is the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
The dealers here in South Texas stock a lot of models with the standard 3.5 engine and I was asking if anyone had any experience towing with one.

i believe you mean the standard 3.7 v-6 engine.

the 3.5 is the Ecoboost.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
I know it's not a direct answer to your question but a friend of mine in Texas bought a new Ford but it had the 3.7 base model. Doing some research the V-6 had more hp then the old 460 during the late 70's. Use to pull all the time with that.

As long as your friend knows the limitations it should work fine.

But. What about the torque of that old 460CI. 385 FT pounds. V6=253. Remember. It's the torque that makes stuff move.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The base motor will be spend a lot of time in the 3000-5000rpm range. If that is acceptable for the friend, then yes it will pull a 4000-ish pound TT. Lots of power in that speed range; lots of gears to keep it there.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure everyone gets that TomG2 is asking for a friend.

It's nearly 300 hp...it will do the job it's rated for.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stay within the tow rating and it will be fine. You won't win any drag races but thats not the purpose.

But as others keep pointing out...for the minimal cost difference it's silly not to get the turbo.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I get it that the ecoboost is great. That is not the question. The dealers here in South Texas stock a lot of models with the standard 3.5 engine and I was asking if anyone had any experience towing with one. Good or bad? Actual fuel mileage?

What's the price difference between the EB and non-EB motors? Might be worth the price differential.

Another non-direct answer, but I towed a boat around 3500 pounds with the 4.0L Explorer and it had to work hard, but it pulled it.

A TT is going to have more wind resistance, etc, etc. But the 3.5 of today is a better motor than that 4.0L...
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10