cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 vs. Suburban?

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. First post here. We just bought a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH travel trailer. It's dry weight is approx. 7500lbs. We bought it to pull with my wife's company 2012 Chevy Suburban (rated for gross of 9400lbs). We have pulled it twice and the Suburban definitely knows it is back there. It causes a little white knuckling some. We have the Blue Ox sway system installed, brake controller, etc.

I have thought about trading in my Audi sedan for a 2015 F150 (or similar 1/2 ton 4 door pickup). Would the F150 do a better job at pulling the camper or would it be worse? I know it has a longer wheel base but have also heard the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 talk. I am hoping to get a good answer before taking those steps.

P.S. - Someone may say "get the F250 to be safe." But, I am an attorney and have to find parking in tiny little lots all of the time and I don't really want something that much larger to be my daily driver. And, I don't have the space, or the funds to have another vehicle altogether. Thanks in advance!
44 REPLIES 44

calsdad
Explorer
Explorer
How much does the new F150 that you're thinking of getting cost?

When you say the Suburban can feel the trailer back there - what do you mean by that?

If you mean that it feels down on power - there is a solution for that. It's called a Suburban/Yukon XL with a Duramax diesel swapped in.

But they're not cheap. What you're looking at is a used vehicle that's still going run somewhere in the $40k+ price range.

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:
I have been in many forums but I have to say - this may be the most helpful one I have ever been in. You guys are awesome to say the least. I just posted another topic about a diesel vs. gas 2015 Chevy 2500. Based on the information I've gathered here, I am definitely going to the 3/4 ton. Now it is just a matter of which one. Here is a link to that topic. Thanks again!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28901853/p/1.cfm

Glad to hear the good news. You will be so much happier, and safer with a 3/4 ton truck for your trailer. A 36 foot long, 11+ foot tall trailer is way too extreme for a half ton truck. With the 3/4 ton truck, you won't have to worry about bringing an extra kid, or extra box of food, case of soda, etc. with you for fear of being overloaded.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in many forums but I have to say - this may be the most helpful one I have ever been in. You guys are awesome to say the least. I just posted another topic about a diesel vs. gas 2015 Chevy 2500. Based on the information I've gathered here, I am definitely going to the 3/4 ton. Now it is just a matter of which one. Here is a link to that topic. Thanks again!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28901853/p/1.cfm

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
It also matters where you will be towing. If it is not in my vicinity, "Load it up and go". I am being a little facetious, but it does increase the risk of an accident the more one hauls over their limits. I have done it plenty.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The body and everything inside the cabin of the 3/4 ton Suburbans are the same as the half tons. The frame, axles, springs, wheels, engine, trans, shocks and some other components are different. Visually, they are difficult to tell apart except the relatively ugly 8-lug wheels and side by side the half ton is about 2" shorter in height. Here is an example.

Ours is a fairly well equipped LT with 2051 pounds of payload of comparison to yours. I can tow our TT to/from storage without WD compared to our prior half ton requiring it, although we only have 750-800 pounds of TW.

I think you are likely right at GVWR and rear axle, and over tow rating/GCWR assuming you have the 6-spd trans, 3.42 axle and HD towing package. I expect a very noticeable increase in stability with any late model 3/4 ton pickup, as well as if you can find a 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL. I recommend 2008-2013 for the SUVs, or 2011+ for GM HD pickups.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Your current half ton Suburban 'can do it', but not for long and not a good
situation when the need to manhandle the whole setup during whatever emergency
situation you might encounter...

The wheels won't instantly fall off, but they will sooner than if
withing the 'true' ratings

Do your own risk management decision, or if you are just looking for the 'sure you can'
types of advice...you have and will get tons of that...but there is no skin in the
game here on these freebie forums...you can have a thousand different
copies of those "sure you can"..."I've been doing it for decades" and
they will NOT get the ticket...the driver will and/or is responsible
for the setup

How long is dependent on lots of things. Terrain, ambient's, how you drive, condition
of your Sub, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:
Actually, I now believe I have the 1/2 ton suburban. It has 6 lug nuts, not 8 on each wheel. In the door on the yellow sticker, it says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1402lbs." Is this what y'all are talking about when you say "payload"? Also, when calculating that, If I weight 170lbs, my wife is approx. 140lbs, each of two children are about 32lbs, and a 14lb dog, 2 small suitcases - I think we are ok...?
With all that being said, that reduces my towable weight substantially.

Also, does a 3/4 ton suburban look different than the 1/2? I would imagine it did since the normal trucks do. If so, I don't think I have ever seen one. I am currently looking at the 250's, and 2500's so we have a better TV.

If your travel trailer weighs about 9,000 (wet & ready to camp), assuming a 12% tongue weight, here is where you will be
TW = 1080
WD Hitch = 75
Humans = 375
Dog = 15

Before loading any other gear in the truck, you are over your payload capacity.

I know, I know, you want to use what you have. But learn from what's being posted here, and know that your SUV is not designed for towing something that large in this configuration.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I went from towing a 9,500lb, 35ft trailer with a 2013 F-150 Crew Cab Max Tow to a 2015 F-250 Crew Cab and the difference is night and day. The F-150 could do it, and did it fine, until I tried the newer truck. After having the F-250 for a year now, I wouldn't go back unless it was an emergency.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR...Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. RATING, as to what the OEM rates it for and
has certified it with regulatory agencies

A 'half ton' will have a GVWR in the 7K range. A '3/4 ton' will have a GVWR
in the 8.6K range

Why recommend folks use their GVWR's when talking about their trucks/SUVs.

"Payload" is what you can put onto/into it that is carried by the tires to pavement
That is what the OEM says it can and still be within the ratings...AKA GVWR

Why it is best to load it up as if going RV'ing and weigh it axle by axle

Most are surprised how much they actually weigh. Whatever is left after the
simple math taking your OEM GVWR minus your actual weight is what is left for
the trailer tongue and WD Hitch system
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I now believe I have the 1/2 ton suburban. It has 6 lug nuts, not 8 on each wheel. In the door on the yellow sticker, it says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1402lbs." Is this what y'all are talking about when you say "payload"? Also, when calculating that, If I weight 170lbs, my wife is approx. 140lbs, each of two children are about 32lbs, and a 14lb dog, 2 small suitcases - I think we are ok...?
With all that being said, that reduces my towable weight substantially.

Also, does a 3/4 ton suburban look different than the 1/2? I would imagine it did since the normal trucks do. If so, I don't think I have ever seen one. I am currently looking at the 250's, and 2500's so we have a better TV.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
That's because the people on here don't think a 1/2 ton is capable of towing up to it's maximum ratings.

The OP needs a TV with at least 9000 pound tow rating and 1800+ pounds of payload. If he has the 9400 pounds tow rated 3/4 ton Suburban mentioned in OP, then there is no reason to change. There are some half ton pickups that fit that, but not many. Meanwhile, every late model 3/4 ton crew cab pickup would work well. If you find a half ton with 10k pound tow rating or even 12k pounds with only 1500 pounds of payload, the rear axle and GVWR with bee exceeded. If you find a half ton with 2000 pounds of payload and 1200 pound receiver limit, that's a good fit too. My point is one cannot only look at tow ratings for any vehicle when it comes to RVing.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:
Hi everyone. First post here. We just bought a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH travel trailer. It's dry weight is approx. 7500lbs. We bought it to pull with my wife's company 2012 Chevy Suburban (rated for gross of 9400lbs). We have pulled it twice and the Suburban definitely knows it is back there. It causes a little white knuckling some. We have the Blue Ox sway system installed, brake controller, etc.

I have thought about trading in my Audi sedan for a 2015 F150 (or similar 1/2 ton 4 door pickup). Would the F150 do a better job at pulling the camper or would it be worse? I know it has a longer wheel base but have also heard the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 talk. I am hoping to get a good answer before taking those steps.

I happen to have a Suburban and an F150, so maybe I can help. My F150 is not a max trailer/tow. But keep in mind that our trailer is 6500# loaded to camp (5000# dry weight). IMO, the OP's trailer is too heavy for either one. Long story short = an F150 isn't going to solve your problem.

As far as towing feel, ie, feeling the trailer back there, the F150 and the Suburban are very similar. The Suburban's suspension is softer, and it wallows a little much more than the F150 does, but I'd say the trailer feel is about the same with both.

The F150, with the Ecoboost, definitely has more low end power for towing, though. Moves along in 5-6 gear without a lot of downshifting. The Suburban with the 5.3 needs to run at 3k+ rpm most of the time. Due to the powertrain differences, I much prefer the F150 for towing.

Re: F150 vs. 3/4 ton for daily driving, I have some experience there, too, going from a 3/4 ton (Chevy 2500 crew cab short bed) to an F150. The 3/4 ton was about 1 ft longer. The F150 is a bit smaller and turns sharper, but the difference for daily use isn't huge, as far as logistics go. I could park wherever I wanted to in the 2500. If you haven't been in a 3/4 ton since the farming days, I'd recommend you try one. IMO, the GM 3/4 ton rides as nicely as the F150 does (the Ford and RAM were a little rougher in my opinion).

The reason your Suburban has the white knuckle feel is because you are probably way over the GVWR. A TT should have 12-15% tongue weight, according to most. My TT is close to 15%. So your trailer probably has 1100-1200#, or more, tongue weight. Your Suburban probably only has 1500# of 'payload.' (look at the yellow sticker inside the driver side door). So with a few people and some gear in the Suburban, you are over your chassis limit. The 1/2 tons may have a high trailer number, but almost always, you'll be well over payload and/or axle ratings before you hit the nebulous trailer number.

In sum, having had a 3/4 ton, an F150, and a Suburban, if I were you, my solution would be a 3/4 crew cab short bed diesel. I don't think you'll see much, if any, improvement going to another 1/2 ton truck.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
How about F150 with HD payload and tow package ?

hard to find them with both the Max Tow and HD Payload packages.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another classic thread........
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold