cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic fan or maxxair ?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I’m contemplating replacing the original roof vent . The goals are less noise , less amps and reversibility. What’s the consensus ? Thanks
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed
30 REPLIES 30

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
This is Dometic fan. You will notice that blades don't show much of changing pitch, while big diameter motor lowers air flow/efficiency as well.
Is Dometic now the same as Fantastic?
IIRC my FF blades due have a curved pitch similar to MaxAir

I believe all manufacturers do upgrades, so I would expect that new models are much more efficient that those build 20 years ago.
Judging the propeller design by seeing it is not very efficient, but take a look how drone propellers are shaped.
Is your similar?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
This is Dometic fan. You will notice that blades don't show much of changing pitch, while big diameter motor lowers air flow/efficiency as well.
Is Dometic now the same as Fantastic?
IIRC my FF blades due have a curved pitch similar to MaxAir

morley
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments , especially those with real life experience . I decided on the maxxfan 6500k manual 10 speed reversible with smoke over . It arrive today from camping world , good sale , $239 free shipping . It will be a week or two for installation depending on weather or shop space . Initial inspection looks to be well made . Don’t think the plastic frame will last 50 years like the aluminum one I’ll be taking out , but then neither will I, lol . The cover does come with lifetime warranty to original purchaser , 2 years on the rest .

I don’t think that you will be disappointed. Your price was pretty good also. We paid $396.00 in our dollars last year for our fan.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

jacquemo
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with Max Air. I have had the Auto temp control and rain close feature and it is the best for keeping an empty camper well ventilated and dry. I use a solar charging system to keep the batteries topped off.
Jacquemo

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how reviews can vary from community to community.
Several members on other forum reported that their Maxxair metal screen rattle like crazy and they usually replace it with plastic screen.
Let us know if new fan has improved design?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments , especially those with real life experience . I decided on the maxxfan 6500k manual 10 speed reversible with smoke over . It arrive today from camping world , good sale , $239 free shipping . It will be a week or two for installation depending on weather or shop space . Initial inspection looks to be well made . Don’t think the plastic frame will last 50 years like the aluminum one I’ll be taking out , but then neither will I, lol . The cover does come with lifetime warranty to original purchaser , 2 years on the rest .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I went on the net to compare new designs and notice how differently fans are design.
It suppose to be common knowledge, that rotating blades/propellers having blades with changing radius do have different air speeds along the blade length.
That is why the blade suppose to have changing pitch, with pitch close to the shaft much bigger than pitch on the tip.
That law is routinely ignored in fan designs as doing proper blade is expensive, when not too many customers demand quality.
So what I noticed from fans on the market.

Now this is MaxxAir fan.
You see pitch variation, where the blades look "twisted". This is proper design. Additionally smaller diameter motor gives better air flow.
There is more to fan design, so final outcome still depends on other factors, but those 2 are basic laws and theoretically MaxxAir should beat Dometic in performance hands down.

Bedlam
I am happy with basic Fantastic fans that have manual lifting lids and 3-speed reversible motors. All my vents have external covers so I can drive or sit in rain with them open. The covers also prolong the lid's lifetime reducing failure.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone bother to compare the motor size between the fans?
From what I remember FF offers much higher output than MA, so if you compare the noise - you make sure you compare it at the same output, not apples to oranges.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
Been eyeing the maxxair deluxe for a couple years. At some point they changed the remote. So if you find a good deal might check to make sure it's the new remote model.

The newer remote is about 2.5" wide. The old remote is only about 1.5" wide. It's been probably at least 6 years ago that the remote was redesigned.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Maxxair is a vent cover. The the fan is called Maxxfan.

I LOVE my Maxxfans. I hate the Fantastic vent fan that came in my new truck camper. It make more noise than the Maxxfan.

On my previous truck camper I pulled the Fantastic fan and replace it with a Maxxfan. I moved the Fantastic fan to my 20' cargo trailer

The Maxxfan Deluxe is my preferred Maxxfan. Here's two of them I installed. I also like the 10 speed model
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic Fan works for me. Its just me, no significant other or pets.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am happy with my FF for many years now. MA is probably great also.

Should have gotten the remote as it is hard for some to reach the ceiling controls.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fantastic Vent 6600R. It has 14 speeds on the remote - manual or automatic (you set the temp that you want it to maintain). It is reversable (on the fan). The rain sensor on/off is on the fan and works very well. I bought my fan before Atwood Mobile bought them out. It had a lifetime warranty. I doubt that is the case now.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures