cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fasteners for solor panels

tiogaearl31
Explorer
Explorer
What type of fasteners should I use to attach two solar panels to the roof of an Eagle Cap truck camper? Each one has a bracket at each corner. They will be mounted one behind the other starting at the left front corner of the roof panel,just behind the seam of the front cap. I am concerned about the wind lift pulling the panels up. Have seen others do it but I don't know whether to use rivets or some type of screws.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Tiogaearl
13 REPLIES 13

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,I have only a small 40w panel. I didn't want to make any holes in my roof. This is only a test. Considering the tiny screws that came with the panel. I scuffed up the metal roof with sand paper and went with 1/4in plastic or teflon bolts mounted with the head standing on the roof embedded in a good amount of 2 part epoxy. The head is completely covered with the epoxy with the glob about the size of a 50 cent piece. For the wire Lowes sells plastic cable clips that have tape on the back side and a channel for the wire to clip into. We drove 3000 miles and saw no problem. Maybe the larger panels would have more tie down points and this could work. Bill

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing we did to help prevent the panels from catching limbs, etc. was to screw basic lightweight aluminum door thresholds from HD along the front edge so they almost touch the roof.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own brackets by purchasing a couple of feet of corner aluminum from the hardware store. I cut them 1 inch in length and sanded off any rough edges then drilled a hole on each side. I mounted on the panels first then placed panels on the roof.Once I located them I lifted it up, added a glob of Dicor sealant then shot a screw through that. After I Dicored the screw as well. Two years still looks great.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
I used 3M double back tape and two #10 screws on each bracket with Dicor over the top of the bracket to seal it. They have been up there for three years with no problems.
I agree, but be specific with the tape because there are dozens of 3M tapes that won't work. VHB 4950 is the standard double sided tape for this.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
#10 Stainless drywall screws hold mine down just fine.

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done installing renogy 100watt solar panel on our Lance 861. The roof wood is only 1/8" thick under the EPDM so I used well-nuts per Lances instructions (it's essentially a rubber rivet) and 1" long stainless steel screw. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814378/204275875

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I embedded the brackets in Dicor and then used stainless screws 1" #12's, they make me a bit nervous though with the wind we get in southern AB. I kind of wish I would have used expanding moly bolts and may swap them out... although they are still there after driving through the wind all last year.

I used eternabond tape to hold the wires down.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Along the same subject lines, what did you hold down the wires with?
Last one I used this wire track that had double sided tape, but still had to glue that down with dicor.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer I am going to use the Aluminum UNISTRUT angles and fasten them to the POPUP roof from the side panels. WIll not be any screws on the top of the roof...

I am wanting to mount either two 100W or 120W paanels on each side of my fanstatic fan in the fron and maybe a 240Watt panel betwen the air conditioner and the rear of the popup...

The nature of the UNISTRUT allows you to slide the panels and should be pretty easy to use. My panels may have to be installed after I raise my POPUP roof line and lock in place because of the added weight of the panels. My electric motor may not be able to raise the roof with the panels and heavy air conditioner on the roof...

Should look something like this...

Google images..

I can either mount the aluminum unistrut along the edge of the roof or use a bracket mounted to each side of the roof...

Just didn't want to drill thru the roof of my popup...

Still in the planning stage...

Roy Ken
King George VA
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I used the screws supplied by the manufacturer (renogy). They are 1-1/4" self tapping screws. I recommend putting a piece of eternabond tape under each bracket. The tape will protect the roof from bracket edges and the tape sort of self heals around the screw creating an extra level of protection. In addition to that I ran the screws down, backed them out filled the hole with dicor and ran the screws back down covered in dicor. After coating the feet/screws with dicor I added another layer of eternabond tape.

The screws are just tightened to snug because the roof cap isn't too thick. I wouldn't worry about them pulling off with screws, tape and dicor. Seems like overkill connection. I was told that some just attach them with tape.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I used that gray sticky roof stuff under each foot, plus dicore, and #10 screws. I had to hold panels out towards edge so screws would catch top of wall and not just roof plywood on the wolf creek. The Arctic fox will get them next spring.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I used 3M double back tape and two #10 screws on each bracket with Dicor over the top of the bracket to seal it. They have been up there for three years with no problems.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Rivets, NO.

Stainless steel screws are good, probably #12 maybe?

Plop some Dicor sealant under each foot as the last step prior to screwing them down, then cover the scre head and entire mounting foot with Dicor once they are all mounted.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator