cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally......a good way to carry extra gas (mod)!

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a simple modification (addition), but one that solves a huge problem.

I recently bought an Arctic Fox 811 and opted to order it with the generator compartment, but without the generator. My reasons were cost, noise, and the fact that I really like my Yamaha 2000w generator. I knew this would be a great place to transport the Yamaha, but like many of us truck camper owners struggled to figure a good way to carry extra gas.

Tonight I installed a 3 gallon RotoPax can and locking mount. I wasnโ€™t crazy about drilling into the side of my new camper so I opted to mount to the rear access door. I figured if I make a mistake mounting it would be far less toutble than making a mistake drilling into the main siding. Also, the location worked well with being out of the way from the ladder, steps, propane bbq, etc.

Here are some pictures. Note, I reinforced the inside of the door with sheet metal. Handling the weight seems like it wonโ€™t be an issue.

Derek
Wife & 2 boys
2017 Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Cab SB diesel
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920โ€™s.
2019 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift holding everything down.
2010 20โ€™ Willie Predator w/ 200 hp jet
1979 Honda Trail 90
62 REPLIES 62

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
Lantley wrote:
.....What is the Pinto notorious for? . . .
Exploding rear-mounted gas tanks (when rear-ended). It was big news back in the early 70's. If I remember correctly, the fix action was placing some extra sheet metal between the gas tank and the muffler. The muffler was mounted parallel with the side of the gas tank and was only an inch or two away.

The Pinto was notorious for being the victim of an over-sensationalized story, in an era when fact-checking was a lot more difficult.
Thatโ€™s evidenced by the fact that none of you actually know what the Pinto was notorious for. Everyone just heard โ€œPintos blow up!โ€ and believed it.

It was all about hitting the car so hard that the gas tank was crushed against the rear differential, and getting a hole punched by one of the bolts.
Since then, attempts to recreate the scenario have all failed.
Hit any car that hard and anything might get smashed against anything.

Would it be OK if gas cans were inside one of the rear compartments?
Itโ€™s not like sticks and filon are any real crash protection anyway.
And holy cow what about generators with several-gallon gas tanks riding on FRONT receiver-hitch racks?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been running Rotopax fuel containers for years on our TC's, first the Lance, now the Palomino.

Don't worry so much about truck fuel (diesel) but I need to carry extra gas (pre-mix) for the chainsaw and bar oil so I carry 3 gallons of pre-mix and a gallon of bar oil and run the pre-mix (50-1) in the genny too. Been doing that for years (mounted on the backside) and haven't blown up yet....

If I do blow up, I'll report back...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Exploding rear-mounted gas tanks (when rear-ended). It was big news back in the early 70's. If I remember correctly, the fix action was placing some extra sheet metal between the gas tank and the muffler. The muffler was mounted parallel with the side of the gas tank and was only an inch or two away.

Had a Pinto when I was a kid. It never blew up but it did beat (blew) the pants off a lot of cars on the street and at the track.

Tubbed it and dropped in a 350 Turbocharged small block with a 400 high stall box with a 9" Ford rear out back on ladder bars.

High 11's at the track with wrinkle wall MT's if you could keep it straight and off the wheelie bars.

Great high school car. Wish I had it today. What a hoot.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
RickW wrote:
Thank you for sharing your mod and exemplary attitude.

X3!- thanks
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
RickW wrote:

X2!- thanks
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I like your setup.

From your pictures it looks like if you think weight on the door may be a problem you could add a right angle piece under the tank screwed down with existing trim screws. When you opened the door the tank would just slide off the shelf but would support it when going down the road.

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. Have fun.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III

threeaces wrote:
Guys, sorry for all the controversy on this post. My intention was simply to share a mod that solved a problem. I was so excited to see the Rotopax on the front porch from Amazon, excited to install, and then equally excited to share with everyone.
I understand the danger......you can find danger in anything. Considering the amount of different gas can setups Iโ€™ve seen in the past, mine seems pretty safe.
Yes, I did get snarky with my second post as some comments seemed derogatory. I see this often on this forum (mostly with weight police) and its too bad that itโ€™s so easy to hide behind a keyboard.
In the end, I hope this forum continues to be a resource for all of us RVers.
Now itโ€™s time to load up and enjoy our beautiful country!
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, sorry for all the controversy on this post. My intention was simply to share a mod that solved a problem. I was so excited to see the Rotopax on the front porch from Amazon, excited to install, and then equally excited to share with everyone.
I understand the danger......you can find danger in anything. Considering the amount of different gas can setups Iโ€™ve seen in the past, mine seems pretty safe.
Yes, I did get snarky with my second post as some comments seemed derogatory. I see this often on this forum (mostly with weight police) and its too bad that itโ€™s so easy to hide behind a keyboard.
In the end, I hope this forum continues to be a resource for all of us RVers.
Now itโ€™s time to load up and enjoy our beautiful country!
Derek
Wife & 2 boys
2017 Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Cab SB diesel
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920โ€™s.
2019 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift holding everything down.
2010 20โ€™ Willie Predator w/ 200 hp jet
1979 Honda Trail 90

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
There is a episode of Myth Busters dedicated to trying to get a gas vehicle to blow up, they went to extreme lengths to try and get it to blow up and failed. "Episode 88 Trailblazers"

I would rather have gas behind me than in front of me.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Rocknita
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired full time firefighter I have been on the scene of more vehicle fires than I could possibly remember. Vehicles on fire in garages of burning houses. Multiple vehicles on fire at accident scenes. I remember one car fire where flames were roaring out of the gas fill as the car was burning. Sorry, no explosions. You see these RotoPax on the back of a lot of pickups, jeeps, rzrs. Off-road group seems to love them. Thinking our next Ram dually might be gas. I would mount them on my Lance 992 rear bumper.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jake2250 wrote:
What a funny post! All these key board geniuses! How about if you don't like it,, click and move on!
Good God I think its a great idea! And the OP did a fantastic installation!
My good buddy in high school drove a Pinto and he's still alive today!

Those cans are pricey but when you see what can be done with them then they are worth the price!
Evidently, where ever you carry it or mount it, some safety genius will bash you and point out the obvious "Its Flammable", Yeah we get that!
But hey,, I rode a bike without a helmet, I drank straight from the garden hose, I jumped trash cans with my bike (without a helmet).

I live by: Fun First Safety Third!
Great job,, looks great!

I'm not that full of gloom and doom. But it's funny you bring up the Pinto? Why?.....What is the Pinto notorious for?
I guess I'm just imagining all this stuff?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
What a funny post! All these key board geniuses! How about if you don't like it,, click and move on!
Good God I think its a great idea! And the OP did a fantastic installation!
My good buddy in high school drove a Pinto and he's still alive today!

Those cans are pricey but when you see what can be done with them then they are worth the price!
Evidently, where ever you carry it or mount it, some safety genius will bash you and point out the obvious "Its Flammable", Yeah we get that!
But hey,, I rode a bike without a helmet, I drank straight from the garden hose, I jumped trash cans with my bike (without a helmet).

I live by: Fun First Safety Third!
Great job,, looks great!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dave17352 wrote:
I would say that the location of that tank is higher than most rear end collisions with modern vehicles. It is not going to blow up like ten sticks of dynamite. If a gallon of gas was turned to a vapor at just the right mixture, then maybe. It certainly could cause a fire, if impacted and then a source of ignition was there. There is risk in lots of things we do, Like walking across the street or driving a RV.

Sure it will. Last time I doused a burn pile with a gallon of gas, it blew the logs and sticks into the next county and I found myself sittin on the roof of the house upside down 100yds away!
Oh wait, no it didn't. It was a big POOF only.
Dave you're right, if you vaporized and pressurized 1 gal of gas in a vessel, to the same degree it gets in a vehicle cylinder it would make a HUGE explosion. But since a plastic gas can can't do that, neither will the gasoline in it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold