cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding 19.5" wheels

kehale
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for 19.5x6.75" wheels for a 2005+ Ford F550.

I'm planning on running 265/70R19.5 tires, but this requires a 6.75 or 7.5" wide wheel.

Does anyone know if they're being make anymore? I did see them a few years ago on an 05+ truck

Accuride 29879 are the correct side/spec for the inside rear, but I'd like to find the aluminum counterparts for the front and outside rears (polished inside/outside, as necessary)
06 Lance 1181
16 REPLIES 16

kehale
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
.....Therefore, as stated in an earlier post, direct mount aluminum dually wheels to utilize 265mm 19.5" tires that are:

- Forged aluminum
- 19.5"
- 10 bolt
- 225mm bolt circle diameter
- 170.1 mm hub pilot diameter
- 7.5" wide (Recommended by the Tire Industry Safety Council & the Rubber Manufacturer's Association)

... were never manufactured for a production vehicle by an OEM supplier.

You win this technical battle of wits!! (applause)

However, it should be noted that 6.75" is an approved rim width for 265/70R19.5 tires (at least for Toyo and Michelin...didn't look up any other manufacturers)

Edit: I went with 29879 Accuride (19.5 x 6.75" steel wheels). They'll work fine for what I need them to do.
06 Lance 1181

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Don Z wrote:
"I found these by using "19.5" wheels" in a Google search...forged, several different styles of wheels in that size.

American Force wheels"

Using Google to look further into American Force...

Source for mstovall and mattyfz450 quotes...

mstovall wrote:
"I do know that American Force does not manufacture their own wheels. I spoke with them and could not get an answer on where they are made. I called to order a set and was told that they were out until their supplier tooled up to make some more. I did not find out who the manufacturer is, but I was told that American Force was not in control of the schedule. They are supposed to be restocked sometime this month. Rickson told me that AF is made overseas. When I spoke with Southwest Wheel, Jeff and Mike (the owner) told me they would not carry a wheel that was not USA made (chinese wheels =bad hub ID spec's, out of round, lower load capacities and insurance problems-according to them). I decided to go the Alcoa/Accuride route; made in USA."

mattyfz450 wrote:
"The same thing happened to me... I called and talked to the guy for a while trying to find out if they were actually manufactured in the US and he kept avoiding the question and just kept saying that they are located in miami. So i proceeded to ask him a few more times and he got all pissy and said he just answered that question and said I was being annoying??? I was just like really?? complete ... told him Id get my wheels else where. I would stay far away!!!"

Source for OEM MFR quote below:

OEM MFR wrote:
"We installed numerous sets of the 19.5" American Force direct bolt-on wheels a while back. They did fit well, and the aluminum wheels were good looking.

The problem is that the clearcoat peeled off of the wheels. When we called American Force to warranty the wheels for our customers, we were told that the wheels were out of stock, and that they would deal with the situation when they got them back in inventory. This was over a year ago.

In the meantime, on the advice of American Force, we replaced the wheels for the customers with the ones from American Eagle. Great people over there by the way.

Now that we have the American Force wheels back, they refuse to offer us any help on the cost of the warranty. I have called them numerous times with regard to the issue, and was initially promised $300 per set to offset the cost of repolishing the finish.

Now when I call Ray to check on the money, I am told that "we're done talking buddy. I'm not paying you anything. Sue me."

Note. I purchased and installed 8 sets of these things from the company. Quick math tells you that you still make money if you return these three sets. Quicker math tells you not to ever buy a product from a company who doesnt stand behind it"

Better Business Bureau record for American Force Wheels

BBB® Non-Accredited D- Rating
On a scale of A+ to F, American Force Wheels has a "D-" rating.

Reason for Rating: BBB Ratings System Overview

- 4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years
- 3 complaints for Problems with Product / Service
- 2 complaints closed in last 12 months

Source for Jayhawk Trailer quote below:

jayhawktrailers.com wrote:
"Just broke a second American Force wheel, this time steel and a bad weld. No reply from American Force, would say that basically they sell junk with no warranty."

Leaving Google search results aside for a moment, and turning to the American Force website:

There is a direct conflict between one line of American Force Wheel advertising that says "All American Force Wheels come with a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects", versus the actual Terms and Conditions that American Force unequivocally states shall supersede any and all other representations made by or on behalf of American Force and/or it's dealers.

American Force Wheel TERMS and CONDITIONS wrote:

Return Policy

Wheels from American Force are covered by a limited warranty.

The real warranty does not say "lifetime."

American Force Wheel TERMS and CONDITIONS continued wrote:
In case of problems or returns, please contact American Force directly and we will attempt to resolve the problem. In some cases, American Force will authorize a return merchandise authorization to the factory for inspection and in order to make a determination in the validity of the claim. A RMA is required before any returned merchandise will be accepted by American Force Wheels. Packages shipped to American Force Wheels without an RMA number will be returned to the shipper. A 20% restocking fee will be applied on our discretion.

The real warranty is only good "in some cases", to be "determined" by American Force, at their "discretion."

Important Note

All warranty returns that are reviewed by American Force Wheels warranty return department and found not to be subject to warranty coverage, will be returned to the sender, without repair or replacement, at the senders expense.

It can cost a several hundred dollars to round trip ship a set of large wheels. It doesn't mater how light aluminum wheels are, because shipping costs are also determined by package size. UPS, for example, has a minimum billing weight for any given cubic dimension of packaging that is calculated by multiplying L x W x H of a package in inches, and dividing the result by 166. I recently paid $69.00 to ship package that only weighed 14 lbs. via the slowest, cheapest ground method available. This 14 lb package was 24 x 16 x 19, and therefore the minimum billable weight was 44 lbs, according to UPS's formula.

The smallest market obtainable shipping box that a 19.5" dually dished wheel that is 6.75" wide would require measures 24" x 24" x 12", which is 6,912 cubic inches. Divided by 166, this means that each minimum weight would be 42 lbs, which is not that far off from what the actual weight of the wheel with the box might be. To ground ship that one wheel, with the current fuel surcharge, would be about $66.00. Since a set of wheels cost $3,000, insurance would be prudent, raising the price to $75.00. Multiplied times four wheels, shipping a set one way for warranty inspection will cost $300.00. When that warranty is denied and the wheels are shipped back, there goes another $300.00. So there is an inherent risk of losing $600.00 anytime one even thinks of considering a warranty return.

But is a warranty, even a limited warranty, even available from American Force?

American Force Wheel TERMS and CONDITIONScontinued wrote:
This is a limited warranty. Therefore no warranties or representations, expressed or implied, are made.

Verbatim. It gets funnier:

Every American Force Wheel is custom manufactured to your own style and reference... NO RETURNS ON CUSTOM MADE ITEMS.

(Bold emphasis added, but the ALL CAPS statement is verbatim from American Force, and they wrote it in all caps)

Please note that wheels that have been mounted with tires are no longer returnable.

Ha ha ha. So once you mount a tire, and then spin balance the tire, and find that it cannot be balanced because the wheel is out of round, then you are SOL, because a tire was mounted. Once you put that wheel on your truck, and after a few hundred miles down the road find that the wheel cracked at the bolt circles, you are SOL, because, guess what, you mounted a tire on the wheel in order to use it on the truck. Hmmmmm.

Back to google search:

Source for MD05 and 2Brak quotes below:

MD05 wrote:
"Last try was American Force thru a company in Florida. They stated that the direct bolts are available purchase a set and was awaiting delivery..... oh wait American Force pull their 19.5 line due to bolt circle cracking. American Force used to make direct bolt for the 10 bolt 450 but had cracking issues at the lugs. (as posted circa 2011... availability status reportedly changed in 2013) These wheel came from China and there must have been some issue with the forging process. There have been several others that made direct bolt wheels again most of them were also built in China and drilled here. PS they are not DOT approved. For each whell sive and bolt pattern the DOT needs to test a bunch to make sure that they are safe. Look at a Big rig aluminum wheel you will see a DOT stamp on it."

2Brak wrote:
"American Force - Wheel blanks from China and although many here state they love them, I know they are no where near the quality as an Alcoa long term. I even doubt they are TRULY forged. I also have heard of the aluminum coating coming off and causing corrosion."

Cracking bolt circles and corrosion are typically not discovered until AFTER the tire is mounted on the wheel and the wheel is mounted on the truck... and either one of those activities renders the American Force wheel "non-returnable". Is mounting a tire on a wheel, or mounting a wheel to a truck, an unusual or unexpected use for a wheel?

American Force does not publish or provide pressure or strength ratings for their 19.5 wheels. Their "strength" appears to be limited to the coolness of their custom design. And since American Force states there is no returnable warranty on "custom" products, and all of American Force products are "custom", there is no loss of warranty from attempting to use these products as wheels. One cannot lose what they never had.

These wheels are sold to people who seek to customize (decorate) their trucks, and it appears that is what they are best suited for... decoration.

Wheels suited for transportation have a DOT stamp, a pressure rating, and a weight rating. The OEM Accuride wheels have all of this information engraved into the wheel at time of manufacture. If American Force is CNC milling their custom triangular hand hole designs into blank wheel discs, is American Force also obtaining DOT approval and testing for these wheels in their final cut form?

American Force is a two man operation in Miami Florida (Ray and Robert), and Rickson is a one man (Don) operation in Maryland. It is a fairly safe bet that neither one of these companies is an OEM supplier.

Therefore, as stated in an earlier post, direct mount aluminum dually wheels to utilize 265mm 19.5" tires that are:

- Forged aluminum
- 19.5"
- 10 bolt
- 170.1 mm hub pilot diameter
- 7.5" wide (Recommended by the Tire Industry Safety Council & the Rubber Manufacturer's Association)

... were never manufactured for a production vehicle by an OEM supplier.

kehale
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
kehale wrote:
"They used to be made by someone Rickson contracted out to make them. I’m not sure the party, but you’re welcome to call them and inquire".

I have no need to call Rickson to inquire, as I have no need for such wheels. I was merely trying to help you by answering your original question with the any and all Ford, Accuride, and Alcoa 19.5 wheel information that I had that might be responsive to your question.

You are the one looking for the wheels, and the one who remembers them, and the one who spoke with Rickson. I'll take your word for it.

If even after talking to Rickson, you still do not know what company Rickosn contracted with to make the wheels you are looking for, then I seriously doubt that I would learn any more from them than you did.

kehale wrote:
"Back in 2011, the Stockton Wheel Company shut it's doors due to the death of owner Frank Mauro. The company was to shutter at the time, but it eventually came back around. Stockton wheel is alive and well, even today."

I wasn't aware that the name "Stockton Wheel" is back in business. Their website banner states that they are "Under New Ownership." As stated in an earlier post... another shall soon rise again. Hopefully, the new ownership will not just take on the name, but also provide the same or better quality than the original business had.

What wheels are the "Expedition" F-550 campers equipped with? That might be a semi proven option for you.

1. No one said you should or need to.

2. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

3. Hutchinson. They are standard 10 lug (10 on 11.25") pattern. A custom adapter would be needed to fit the F550 10 on 225mm pattern.

$$$$ + $$$$$
06 Lance 1181

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you find them - any good truck shop. I use Les Schwab in Montana.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

Don_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I found these by using "19.5" wheels" in a Google search...forged, several different styles of wheels in that size.

American Force wheels

Don Z.
2000 F350 Crew Cab Dually 7.3 PSD,Banks Stinger Plus,Line-X Liner,Prodigy Controller,Reese Signature Series 18K hitch

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
kehale wrote:
"They used to be made by someone Rickson contracted out to make them. I’m not sure the party, but you’re welcome to call them and inquire".

I have no need to call Rickson to inquire, as I have no need for such wheels. I was merely trying to help you by answering your original question with the any and all Ford, Accuride, and Alcoa 19.5 wheel information that I had that might be responsive to your question.

You are the one looking for the wheels, and the one who remembers them, and the one who spoke with Rickson. I'll take your word for it.

If even after talking to Rickson, you still do not know what company Rickosn contracted with to make the wheels you are looking for, then I seriously doubt that I would learn any more from them than you did.

kehale wrote:
"Back in 2011, the Stockton Wheel Company shut it's doors due to the death of owner Frank Mauro. The company was to shutter at the time, but it eventually came back around. Stockton wheel is alive and well, even today."

I wasn't aware that the name "Stockton Wheel" is back in business. Their website banner states that they are "Under New Ownership." As stated in an earlier post... another shall soon rise again. Hopefully, the new ownership will not just take on the name, but also provide the same or better quality than the original business had.

What wheels are the "Expedition" F-550 campers equipped with? That might be a semi proven option for you.

kehale
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
Which wheel "used to be made"? And by who? And for what?

Just curious if what you were told is an apples to apples comparison, because if it "used to be made", then falconman's suggestion might work for you.

But my bet is that the wheels you are looking for

- Forged aluminum (because cast won't cut it at your weights)
- 19.5"
- 10 bolt
- 170.1 mm hub pilot diameter (because the F-550 is a hub piloted vehicle)
- 7.5" width (because this is the TISC and RMA recommended width for 265's)

.... was never manufactured for a production vehicle by an OEM supplier. Ever.

I'd like to eat my words though, so if you can provide any more details, that would help future searchers do what falconman suggested. Otherwise, the search would be futile.

I do remember back in 1999 there was a triangular patterned 19.5" rim available and seen on Fords. Very rare, 8 lug only, and I believe still just 6.00" wide. And it might have been for the even smaller bolt circle diameter of the F-350. I'm not sure. I've only seen a couple of pictures of that wheel, and I've always wondered about where it came from.

Earlier, I talked about the F-53 wheels only coming in steel, and it since has occurred to me, what if people have seen aluminum rims on class A motorhomes with the Ford V10 Triton chassis? Well, the highest GVWR F-53 comes with 22.5" wheels, and there might be more aftermarket aluminum wheel options available in that medium duty rim size.

Since you would have to go through the expense of getting new tires anyway if you jump up to 265's, then you might as well consider 22.5" rims, by seeing if you can replace your rotor and hub flanges with those from the highest GVWR F-53. This might involve a caliper change also. I have no idea. Not something I'd even consider personally, but I have seen lots of trucks running around with 22.5" wheels that weren't originally equipped with them.

There is also the "turtle expedition" style of super singling, if off-road camping ground clearance is what you are really after. Gary had Stockton Wheel build his 20" custom steel wheels (and unbeknownst to Gary, I'm still using the original wheels that he took off his F550 on my F550). Stockton Wheel went out of business quite some time ago, but as the economy picks up, another shall rise. Rickson Wheels, however, managed to stay in business during the downturn, which might say something there too.

They used to be made by someone Rickson contracted out to make them. I’m not sure the party, but you’re welcome to call them and inquire.

They were not cast. I specifically remember not buying them years ago, saying to myself…”I’ll buy them when my tires wear out”.

Back in 2011, the Stockton Wheel Company shut it's doors due to the death of owner Frank Mauro. The company was to shutter at the time, but it eventually came back around. Stockton wheel is alive and well, even today.
06 Lance 1181

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Which wheel "used to be made"? And by who? And for what?

Just curious if what you were told is an apples to apples comparison, because if it "used to be made", then falconman's suggestion might work for you.

But my bet is that the wheels you are looking for

- Forged aluminum (because cast won't cut it at your weights)
- 19.5"
- 10 bolt
- 170.1 mm hub pilot diameter (because the F-550 is a hub piloted vehicle)
- 7.5" width (because this is the TISC and RMA recommended width for 265's)

.... was never manufactured for a production vehicle by an OEM supplier. Ever.

I'd like to eat my words though, so if you can provide any more details, that would help future searchers do what falconman suggested. Otherwise, the search would be futile.

I do remember back in 1999 there was a triangular patterned 19.5" rim available and seen on Fords. Very rare, 8 lug only, and I believe still just 6.00" wide. And it might have been for the even smaller bolt circle diameter of the F-350. I'm not sure. I've only seen a couple of pictures of that wheel, and I've always wondered about where it came from.

Earlier, I talked about the F-53 wheels only coming in steel, and it since has occurred to me, what if people have seen aluminum rims on class A motorhomes with the Ford V10 Triton chassis? Well, the highest GVWR F-53 comes with 22.5" wheels, and there might be more aftermarket aluminum wheel options available in that medium duty rim size.

Since you would have to go through the expense of getting new tires anyway if you jump up to 265's, then you might as well consider 22.5" rims, by seeing if you can replace your rotor and hub flanges with those from the highest GVWR F-53. This might involve a caliper change also. I have no idea. Not something I'd even consider personally, but I have seen lots of trucks running around with 22.5" wheels that weren't originally equipped with them.

There is also the "turtle expedition" style of super singling, if off-road camping ground clearance is what you are really after. Gary had Stockton Wheel build his 20" custom steel wheels (and unbeknownst to Gary, I'm still using the original wheels that he took off his F550 on my F550). Stockton Wheel went out of business quite some time ago, but as the economy picks up, another shall rise. Rickson Wheels, however, managed to stay in business during the downturn, which might say something there too.

kehale
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the ideas.

From talking to Rickson, it appears that they used to be made, but are no longer.
06 Lance 1181

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
If they were available on a stock truck I would check with a local auto wrecking yard. They have a computer locater that will save you some leg work.

fritzrs
Explorer
Explorer
Might Google the National Wheel and Rim Assoc.
Check their member list for local retailers of high quality wheels.
Be warned to steer clear of any non-standard wheel mfr's.
The hwy speeds most RVs travel at require good quality wheels and tires.
Cheap wheels, like cheap tires will get ya killed...
RVing since 1975... All Who Wander Are Not Lost...
2014 Minnie Winnie, GM Chassis w/Allison 6spd
2010 Jeep Wrangler, Toad w/canoe

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a gander at Rickson wheels Rickson Wheels

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Someone posted a link to Alcoa, but Alcoa will not have what you are looking for. Which is probably why you posted, because you already checked all the usual suspects. Alcoa does not make a hub piloted wheel as wide as 6.75", nor as wide as the 7.50" that you'll need to have the correct shoulder support for 265's, with your hub pilot of 170.1mm and bolt circle diameter of 225 mm.

Alcoa does make 19.5 x 6.75 and 19.5 x 7.50, but only in applications where the bolt circle diameter is larger, by 2 more inches (275 mm). There might be a good reason for that.

The same holds true for Accuride. A poster above said something to the effect of "you should be able to find 6.75" aluminum wheels from Accuride as they were available for a Ford Class A chassis." To that I would ask, "Have you driven a Ford motorhome... lately?" Ford does not offer any aluminum wheels on their F53 chassis. Going back for the last 15 years, the F53 wheel availability has always been steel, not aluminum.

The biggest you can go off the shelf are those 29879 Accuride steel F53 wheels at 6.75, in all positions, with a maximum width of 245 tire. That's still a huge, heavy, mileage robbing hunk of tire and wheel. Some of the 245'ss are speed limited to 65 mph. You can find some that are speed limited to 75 mph, but you will not find any that are speed rated to 81 mph as you can with the original 225's.

(I have an F-550 also)

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to find aluminum accuride 6.75 wheels as they were available on ford class a chassis...check rickson wheels also they have factory wheels..and they have chart for rim to tire sizing.. 265's I believe take 7.5's I was thinking of bigger tires myself to cut down the gearing..your later model should be easier to find wheels for
1999 F550 truck conversion