cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First pull with new truck

jwc99
Explorer
Explorer
Let me start off with this is my opinion based on towing the same trailer with my old truck and new truck. Same destination, same weather conditions (very windy) and same loading.

But I'm sure someone will take offense anyway.

I was one of the readers that always got so tired of all those posters that said you need a 3/4 ton or bigger truck to pull your rig. For years I towed with my 1/2 ton and made it just fine. When it got time for my new truck I ordered a 1/2 ton max tow with the plan of getting a bigger trailer. If I had purchased the trailer I planned on the 1/2 ton would have been fine. But the wife found one she liked better. Almost 4 ft longer and about 3000lb heavier. I towed it with the 1/2 ton but it was work. The truck had plenty of power but I was getting pushed around on the road. The wind and passing vehicles kept me hanging on tightly to the wheel. I traded for a 3/4 ton diesel and I am very impressed. I still felt a little wind sometimes, but nothing that made me uneasy. The power was great and the mileage was better, I gained 2 mpg. Needless to say I am very happy I made the change.

I still believe the 1/2 ton is a good tow vehicle. Even though mine was rated to tow 11000 lbs didn't mean I should. Yes I had a good hitch, I'm using it with the new truck. Every piece of equipment has its limitations. I feel I was there with the old truck. I'm not telling anyone to run out and purchase a bigger truck. Stay within your limits and be safe. I feel I made the right move by upgrading.
18 REPLIES 18

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
Boy that fifth wheel ball hitch is sure dwarfed by the truck and trailer.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
My biggest complaint about my truck is I don't see how I'll ever be able to buy anything that isn't a diesel. The power is so effortless it's addicting. I find myself enjoying the towing part of a camping trip as much as the camping part.

Dittos to that. The smiles start when you leave the driveway.

I traded a Nissan Titan crew cab for an older Ram 3500 DRW long bed quad cab. The Titan was smooth, fast, quiet and comfortable. It did a great job towing my 6,000# bumper pull. The Ram is noisy and ponderous but boy do I like driving it!

I ended up buying a diesel SUV simply because I was now a diesel guy.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
I kept saying during my recent camping trip, "Load some more firewood in that thing!" I never would've even considered it with my 150. I love having an HD truck. I love not having to worry about tongue weight and who/what I haul.

The hardest part is sticking with my car for commuting to work. Thankfully, my car's pretty new and comfy or it would be up for sale too.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

jwc99
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is very happy with the new setup. She had to watch how she packed for a trip, didn't want to go over our limit. She told me last night she was excited to be able pack the camper the way she wanted and not worry.

The biggest problem I am having since I got the new truck is I can't stop driving it. I can get 23 mpg driving it to work, 85 mile round-trip. I have a Hyundai I bought for work that gets 38. I just enjoy driving the truck. I get no respect in the car, always getting cutoff and such. I get all kinds of respect in the truck.

Bedlam
TomG2 wrote:
Getting by with a half ton is a challenge and we like challenges. Funny how nobody ever comes on here asking how to turn their HD model into a half ton tow vehicle. How about, "Can I put P rated tires on my 2500HD?", or "Are smaller brakes and tires available for the 3500 series?". Nobody ever says, "I am worried that I will forget the trailer is back there now that I have a HD tow vehicle".

I am not anti- half ton as I recently purchased a 2016 F-150, but I tow lightweight trailers these days.

You do see people asking this, but they are mall crawlers or racer boys going for something other tow capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest complaint about my truck is I don't see how I'll ever be able to buy anything that isn't a diesel. The power is so effortless it's addicting. I find myself enjoying the towing part of a camping trip as much as the camping part.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
As they say "You don't know what you don't know"
BTDT on trucks.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats OP on the new ride and new trailer! With our 5er, I'm 54.5' nose to tail and just south of 22k and very little problems towing. Also have a 4 place V-nose alum snowmobile trailer and nose to tail is around same length as w/ the 5er and total weight w/ 3 sleds is approx between 13-14k (never scaled out). Sled trailer is NOT on WD hitch and it is very noticeable when pulling it. Was much worse when old sled trailer was steel frame. Point is, the 5ers do tow much nicer and tho my sled trailer isn't all that bad towing, anything heavier (trailer weight above 5k), I'd have a WD hitch on it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Getting by with a half ton is a challenge and we like challenges. Funny how nobody ever comes on here asking how to turn their HD model into a half ton tow vehicle. How about, "Can I put P rated tires on my 2500HD?", or "Are smaller brakes and tires available for the 3500 series?". Nobody ever says, "I am worried that I will forget the trailer is back there now that I have a HD tow vehicle".

I am not anti- half ton as I recently purchased a 2016 F-150, but I tow lightweight trailers these days.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Same here in 99' had a 1/2 ton truck towing a TT, truck did great, oh, and was new...purchased a 5er...lost big time when I traded the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton which did a better job towing in the mountains...live and learn...sometimes it'll really cost you.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that, have the tshirt! Those F150's are impressive, but above 7500lbs a 3/4 or 1ton really are that much more stable and enjoyable to tow with.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
my picture posting sucks
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
go big I say
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension