cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First TC, 1st trip, 1st damage, and 1st RVnet post.

JBV
Explorer
Explorer
I love camping. My parents started me out backpacking at an early age, and I transitioned to jeep camping around age 19. So the camping part of things is not new to me.
Camping with a Truck Camper (or any type of RV) is a whole new experience for me, similar in some ways and very different in others.

After much Craigslisting and many hundreds of miles spent looking at "good condition, everything works" truck campers, I finally found one which actually WAS in good condition, and most everything did indeed seem to work. I bought it, loaded it onto the truck, and drove home.

Cleaned in and out, flushed the water system several times, tested all systems. Minor issues with a bee's nest blocking the furnace vent and grime build-up on the hot water heater pilot light, lots of ferrous sediment build-up in the water heater, which I removed (s-l-o-w-l-y) using a telescoping pick-up magnet.

Packed up, cleaned the house, weighed in at a CAT scale, went back home to ditch several items, and headed for I-70 west while listening to dire warnings about the heatwave I was about to drive into,

Pulled into a campground near Green River, Utah, around midnight. Morning brought views, heat, bugs, great neighbors and wonderfully cool water.

Heat was intense, but the river was cool, so I stayed a day. That next night the temp did not go down past the mid-90's. My truck's coolant level stayed at the HOT mark.

I stopped to see the Crystal Geyser, but it was not running. Budders went for a swim anyway.

I70 ended, and I hopped north on I-15 to the turnoff for Hwy 50 (which I missed on the first try because I was on the phone telling my girlfriend that I was about to head into the desert). Only a few extra miles to the next exit to turn around, and I was on the Loneliest Road in America.

I like taking 50 because there are numerous National Forest access points, and it is easy to pull off and find a good spot to boondock. Turns out it's not quite as easy in a TC as it used to be in my jeep, but still pretty darn easy.

I was given directions to a hot spring outside of Austin, NV, which was down 10 miles of harsh washboard and an interesting section of deep silt. 4wd a must. Again, not as easy as it would have been in the jeep, and much slower. Nice and warm though, and not a soul in sight.

Also no cover, so I aimed for Tahoe after a quick soak. Everywhere I had been to this point was reporting consecutive days of record-breaking heat, and with the chevy's odo rolling past 341k I was taking it easy on the A/C. That is to say that I was leaving it off.

El Dorado National Forest Access gave me a secluded spot, and cool overnight temps (finally!)

The 4th of July is not the best day to show up in Tahoe proper with no reservations or plans. Everything was quite full, so I headed for Icehouse. Pretty full up there too, but some seclusion to be found. Budders enjoyed the cooler temps.

I ripped down the hill, gathered my girlfriend from her apartment in Davis, and continued west as far as I could, to the Lost Coast. Which was overrun by the loudest, dirtiest, and most obnoxious campers and people that I had observed so far. The place was trashed, pit toilet tipped over, fire-work remains and trash everywhere, and trucks doing donuts across the wetlands/Snowy Plover habitat area. It is fairly easy to Tread Lightly and avoid doing damage to the landscape with a properly built and operated 4x4, but none of these folks were attempting any kind of responsible recreation. Rangers came later in the day, but seemed more interested in collecting $25 camping fees than in enforcing any of the other posted rules.

It is still an incredible area, but I fear it may not stay open to the public for many more years. In the photo I am parked in the Day Use area, but you can see fresh tire tracks criss-crossing the "closed to vehicles" marsh area and wetlands. At least no one was shooting at the Roosevelt Elk who were hanging out there.

The road to access this area is narrow and rough, with few turn-out areas. On the way in I was forced into a ditch against a fern-covered hill by a pickup truck who refused to give me right-of-way, but there was no damage and I was able to power out of it.

Its a beautifully forested area, redwood trees and ferns, and all.

On the way back out I was forced off the road and into a ditch again, this time by two pickups going too fast... but they did have right-of way. My rear passenger-side jack caught some roots and tore partially out and to the back.

There is damage to the wooden framing, but the jack seems undamaged, and the aluminum skin is only a little bent, not torn at all. No interior damage, and it under the dinette side, away from any electrical, LPG, or water lines, so I am considering myself lucky in that respect. I removed the jack to avoid any further damage from it moving around on the road, and headed down coastal Hwy 1, which was foggy and chilly... a very nice change from the 100+ temps of the last week. I wore pants for the first time since Colorado.

I have just made contact with an old friend from High School, and it looks like I will head for his parent's place in Petaluma to attempt repairs, hoping that his father still has the array of tools and random materials that I remember from a decade ago.

And that is where I am at, and what I would love some help with. I will be stopping a the Camping World in Vacaville to gather some supplies for this repair. Exterior caulking for around the jack brackets.. Proflex, is that correct? Grey gummy gooey tape stuff for under the aluminum at the corners... Is there a brand or specific product to use or not to use? I have a roll of butyl rubber repair tape, but It seems to be for exterior window/roof/leak fixes, not for under the skin...? The silver lining is that there does not appear to be any water damage.

I am using this as my repair guide: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18228847.cfm
Any other advice, suggestions, or help would be... uh... helpful. Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that panoramic photo looks like the Valhalla of Workshops with fish tacos to boot. Man, you're one fortunate dude!
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure that you will repair this a lot better than factory standards.

I seem to have become skilled in knowing how to avoid all idiots and having just a wonderful kind of God's blessing time of camping the last few years.

We can't forget the nice folks out there. Like the time my outboard motor would not start and a guy I didn't know from adam, offered to let us use his. We cannot forget amazing people like that. We finally got ours started but, just his offer makes up for all the idiots I ever ran into in this world.

JBV
Explorer
Explorer
Took the 101 north from Petaluma, turned onto Old River Road near Hopland to avoid construction traffic. Twisty and full of potholes, great light over the vineyards.

Headed towards the South Cow Mtn Recreation Area, I stopped to let Budders jump in the river. Thought about boondocking right there, but it wouldn't have given me the sunrise I wanted. Local family who were swimming and fishing there advised me to avoid the washboard and the noise and to head up North Cow Mtn instead.

There is a free campground at the end of N. Cow Mtn, Rd. but nothing looked level enough to even try, and there was still 4th of july trash all over the place. I took some of it out with me, drove back a few miles, and camped at an overlook instead, where I promptly ran out of propane.

My brakes were smoking coming down off North Cow, and I finished the last few miles in 4WD-Lo locked into first gear. It's pretty steep, but that just means great views from every turn.

After fueling the truck and filling the propane tank, in Ukiah, we headed into the Mendocino Nat'l Forest, where Budders jumped into the Eel river near Lake Pilsbury.

Plenty of boondocking spots right there, but I thought that I had my directions in order. Traversed the Lake Pilsbury basin, and liked the deer but not the campgrounds.

Following some google'd instructions, I went searching for Bear Creek Campground, which unfortunately remains lost. GPS kept trying to take me down closed roads and single-track OHV trails. Found a ridge-line site, nice and level, as the sun went down.

JBV
Explorer
Explorer
So, with help from this forum and the friendly family that provided me delicious food and a flat space to work, everything came together just fine. After pulling off the siding, I was happy to find that the damage was not all that bad.

Then it was just a matter of finding the right tools and materials, only slightly difficult because I didn't know the specific organizational methods. If you were a 4" lag bolt, where would you be...

Right, fresh wood, secondary bracing, steel corner tie, industrial adhesives, putty tape, ProFlex, and 16 long lags later, the only visible indications are a few dimples in the aluminum.

And now the trip can continue.

JBV
Explorer
Explorer
Sheriffdoug wrote:
Welcome to the Forum, thank you for great words & pictures. Very interesting first trip. Love the Fish Eye Lens & effects, on great photo's.

Thanks Sheriffdoug; The panoramas are all from an iPhone5 using the standard camera app. The rest are shot with an older Canon 20D, most often using a 15mm fisheye. There are no effects or editing going on here except for cropping and resizing.

BobTowne
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report, though it's too bad about the damage you sustained. Thanks for sharing, and happy camping in the future.
GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Well, first, welcome! Second, seems like you've broken it in already! Kudos for your attitude and enthusiasm about the GREAT trip you took and getting it fixed yourself!

See ya down the road! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you've definitely had it all on one trip.

I never unload the camper when travelling, and have the bolt-on old style jacks seen on pop-up campers. So now I don't carry them when travelling. I drive off road quite a bit and down narrow tracks and would have ripped them off ages ago if I left them on.

I'll add your report to the trip reports sticky thread when I next update it after the summer.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome,

Well done with your trip report.

I have also wanged my right rear jack and had to repaired it. So far so good.

Another idea (from others) for traveling with rear jacks is to temporarily mount them upside down (out of the way but there if you need them). I have not tried this and it may not work with some mounts.

An intermediate bracket mounted to the TC may facilitate a quick connect/disconnect for the jack bracket. Something to think about after you get home.

Hope you find other parts of California to enjoy.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had a choice, I would not even consider the tripod jacks. I have had them before, and in my opinion they can be very dangerous. The lighter the TC. the safer they are.

Regardless of what you have for jacks, situations like you experienced can and will happen. If you are super concerned, you could re-work the mounting of the jacks so you can easily remove or attach them when getting into rough off road situations.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome aboard!
Great first post/trip report/pictures. You've set a standard for others to follow.
Unfortunate encounter with idiots but you have certainly not cornered the market - they appear to be everywhere. Even with the unfortunate outcome during your trip, you seem to have kept a good attitude - sign of a true truck camper.

John
John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum, thank you for great words & pictures. Very interesting first trip. Love the Fish Eye Lens & effects, on great photo's.
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

JBV
Explorer
Explorer
I have the initial stage of my repair sitting in clamps and setting, fresh fish tacos in my belly, and Budders is asleep on the floor of a very well stocked workshop. Thanks to all your tips and ideas, after getting in there I have a pretty good plan of how I will proceed.

KD4UPL wrote:
I noticed in the picture it looks like you didn't have your rear jack fully retracted. I always take mine all the way up just for that reason, more clearance. It looks like you have manually cranked jacks which probably does make it a pain to retract them any further than necessary. Consider getting a good 18v cordless drill like a Milwaukee or Dewalt. You can make an adapter to use the drill to run your jacks up and down.

Your are correct, they are manual jacks. I have a jack-crank adapter for my Makita, and the jacks are retracted as far as they will go. I was concerned about how low they seemed, but all the campers I saw with corner mounted jacks looked to be at a similar height, and I assumed that it must work out ok if so many are made that way (I try to have faith in American engineering).

I took it real slow on forest service roads and watched how close the jack feet were getting to the road surface as I articulated over ruts and potholes, and I had a good idea of what I could safely get over and across. The ditch I went into was softer than the white Ford I was avoiding, but it was deeper than I would have put a tire into if I had encountered it on my terms. I guess I may just pull the rear jacks off and stow them in the cab for now. It required a pry bar to remove the first one from it's mounting plate after I pulled the two bolts off. Are there jacks that raise up higher, or that telescope in more sections? Or is this why some people might opt to carry the tripod style potrable jacks?

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBV wrote:
... Reddog1: I still have a Jeep, and I thought about bringing it, but the camper steals so much power from my already tired Chevy that I decided against it. I am not very comfortable towing, and the thought of backing up and turning around on new-to-me forest roads was less than appetizing. I realize now that I could have re-organized gear into the towed jeep for a lighter load in the truck and then used the YJ for exploration and trips to town for supplies (while keeping a good campsite). Live and learn! ...

I flat tow a Suzuki Samurai. You can forget turning around and backing up anywhere. However, easy to unhook and turn around. I have only had to do that two times in over ten years.

I flat tow my Samurai when I make the trips like yours. Flat tow puts no additional weight on my truck. I really appreciate the ability to camp in the TC, and the tour the Rubicon and San Francisco with the Samurai. It also serves as a trailer when needed. It does cost me about 1 MPG in fuel.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke