cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Owner Questions

rockhopper1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. It too 30 minutes to back up into our garage last time but....
Anyway, my wife and I just purchased a used pop up and have no idea how to use it, tow it and such. We are however looking forward to finding out. We just hope that our Subaru Outback 3.6r will up to the task.

Well two weeks ago I installed the hitch and that was a PITA.

Yesterday we got the trailer home. What I noticed is on the trailer coupler there is a setting for reverse and forward. We left it in the forward position. Yes even when we backed it into the garage.

What is the purpose of that selector exactly? Am I supposed to switch it every time I change directions?I cannot find any information on it anywhere.

Well thanks for your help.

Also the pop up is about 2000lbs. Would I need a tranny cooler for the car? We don't really plan to travel further than 4-6 hours from Chicago. Anymore than that and we will borrow my friends Suburban.

Really any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
8 REPLIES 8

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I backed my trailer into the driveway I had to do it myself, as my wife was at work. Took a while and the result was my diagonal parking job across the driveway. After two years, I'm not a pro but much better. I think I saw something on this forum about "the swoop" when setting up to back in. There's a YouTube regarding this, and it works for me. I would highly recommend an additional trans cooler. They start around $50 and are extremely easy to install. Heat is your automatics worst enemy and towing can produce plenty of it. Again, you can search for a video on how to install one. Good luck with your new toy!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
At 2000# that's a small PUP. Another option to backing it up, if your driveway is flat, and if your tongue jack came with a removable dolly wheel, is to simply get it close to where you want it, disconnect it, and push it into place. We used to do that with a 2600# PUP at the campgrounds. Its easier than you might think. Sometimes we'd even turn it around when camping with others at the next camp site.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
More info on the PUP would be good. Also good to know the GVW of the Subaru. The Subaru Outback is not a meaty vehicle and there could be lots of issues.
First let me give you a hint on backing the trailer. Hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and push the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. Key on the trailer wheels as the point to start your turns. Don't over-steer. If you aren't in the right position, pull up and try again. We all did it and still do.
Setting up for towing is a huge safety issue. The wrong set-up and you start swaying or bouncing and loose control of the rig.
There are lots of experienced campers on this blog and you will get good advice. Keep asking questions.
If your trailer is not level or if the tail of the tow vehicle (TV) sags then the tongue is too heavy. A load-leveling hitch can solve that problem. And it really works.
Make sure the trailer brakes work (if equipped)as that little TV is going to be tested even with good working brakes. Brake early - early - early.
A trany cooler is a big job. If you are not going that far or more importantly into the mountains then just take it easy on the acceleration.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhopper1 wrote:

...I noticed is on the trailer coupler there is a setting for reverse and forward. We left it in the forward position. Yes even when we backed it into the garage....

Probably surge brakes. Backing up would cause the brakes to activate which makes the tow vehicle work against the trailer brakes. The reverse position locks out the brakes on the trailer for backing.

With the little trailer I pull forward into the drive. I then unhitch and move the car out of the way. I then use the John Deere to make a U-turn and back into the garage.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We (mostly) parked our pup outside, but on a few occasions, would pull it into the garage. Instead of attempting to back it with your tow vehicle, why not just put the wheel on the tongue jack, disconnect from the tow vehicle, and PUSH it into the garage! Our Starcraft Venture PUP (1999) weighed more than 2000 pounds and I could push it around with no problems. I'd even hitch it to my riding lawn mower (I put a ball in the hole in the back of the mower),mower to drag the thing around through the grass.

That's the ONE thing I really miss about having a PUP, is the ability to put the wheel on the tongue and simply push it in any direction, even turning it 90 degrees at campsites so the front door is facing the back of the campsite and the back side is facing the road with the bunk ends over the side of the parking pad. Versatility and portability is the best feature of a PUP.

rockhopper1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will provide you with model number and weight of the trailer. I will also throw in a picture of the hitch.
Sometime tonight once I get home.

Thanks again.

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're over steering when backing up. Try laying down a 2X2 or a chalkline beside the trailer tire going into the garage. Using your driver's side mirror always stay close to that line only making small corrections. Check your passenger side mirror often so you don't back into something. When I taught my son to back up we went to a mall parking lot after hours and used the stall lines as a guide. If all else fails you can always put a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle. It'll become easier with time. Can't help you with the switch on your trailer as I've never seen one.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
need more info trailer size and model and year