cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible or conventional solar panels for TC?

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
My questions pertain only to physical mounting on my TC. I'm an electrical engineer, and already have done several solar setups. I have 600w of solar right now on the Shotwagon (my trailer in the sig pic). I use them through 6 batts in the trailer, then to a 4ga umbilical from the trailer to the TC to keep the TC charged.

I have no solar on the TC, and I'm considering adding a Morning Star mppt (same one as the shotwagon) and solar to the TC. The panels on the Shotwagon are peel-n-stick Unisolar flexible panels, on a tin roof.

I saw Amazon had these on sale for $99. No self-adhesive backing, and feedback is "ok", not spectacular, but they're very lightweight. I'm thinking 5-6 of them, depending on how many fit. 6 would be ideal, since i could run them in series-parallel in two high-voltage banks to a mppt, which is how my Shotwagon is set up.
Flexible panels on sale for $99

Conventional panels are more "Tried and true" and seem to have better feedback. Cost is irrelevant since they're both relatively the same price.

For those who have put solar on TC rubber roofs - your thoughts?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
19 REPLIES 19

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
A perimeter bead of dicor would probably keep a flexible panel down. Although it's not fun to remove you could certainly remove a panel later. Either that or eternabond tape around the edges. Later just cut the panel loose and leave the tape on the roof.

600 Watts should be very doable on your 1160. You could probably get 900 or more.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
You all make very good points. I hadn't considered heat transference of sticking them on the roof vs. the shade and an air gap provided by conventional panels.
And I do plan on covering most of the exposed acreage up there with panels. My goal is 600w.
The flexible panels are not self-adhesive, they have eyelets like a blue tarp or flag does, but a lot of people I've read about are using liquid nail to stick them down. To to Bedlam's point, ya, if one fried I'd be up a creek if I stuck them down vs. screwed them down somehow.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have used conventional panels only so I can't compare performance. I have installed them on both rubber and TPO roofs with no issues. This is only speculation but it is my belief that panels spaced off the top of the rood will transmit less heat into the RV by providing sun shading and heat ventilation/escape. The glass panels get very hot. I assume that flexible panels do as well.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since this thread is a comparision question I want to piggyback one more ,
With conventional panels having an air space between the panel and the roof, and flexible being directly on the roof, is there a significant difference in the summer as to heat in the rig from the dark surface and lack of an airspace?

Bedlam
My only concern with the peel and stick type panels is if there is a failure. How will you replace it without damaging the roof?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD