cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

floor construction

kopack
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new truck, which has different dimensions than my older truck. The bed rails are about 1 3/8 inches higher than the older one, which requires me to raise my camper about 1 1/2 inches in order to clear the rails when resting on the truck bed. Rather than a bed pad, I've decided to add a wood frame to the bottom of the camper,permanently attached. My question is concerning the construction of the floor on the camper. I plan on using an adhesive to secure it, but want to put screws through the framing into the camper flooring as well. Does anyone know how thick the flooring plywood is, especially under the water tank? Certainly don't want to put a screw into the tank! I have a 2004 Lance 1121.
2004 Chev 3500 EC D/A 4x4, 2004 Lance 1121, 2004 Lund Explorer
6 REPLIES 6

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Why not make several smaller frames that you could also use to set the camper on when off the truck. If you attach it permanently it may be a problem for the next owner.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I permanently attached mine with white metal flashing along the full length of the seam where the top of the spacer platform meets the bottom of the camper. I ran a row of self drilling screws in to the side of the platform and the side of the camper. Works great.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

kopack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Since we drop the camper fairly frequently, and won't have the tailgate, I'd rather not have a loose, portable frame in my truck bed. Believe me, I've thought about both ways and think attaching it to the camper will work best for us. I remember someone had built it onto his camper, but can't find it on search. I was thinking of just a few 2 or 2 1/2 inch crews, depending on the thickness of the plywood flooring, to hold the frame securely until the adhesive sets firmly. I don't plan on putting any screws into the camper up where the water tank is located. Anyone done this? Thanks, in advance.
2004 Chev 3500 EC D/A 4x4, 2004 Lance 1121, 2004 Lund Explorer

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
Drill a small hole in a cabinet or anyplace you can pull up the carpet. take a paper clip and put a small bend in it and use it as a gauge. I would not want screws sticking up where I walk or store things either. If it was me I would know where the tank is. I would screw the perimiter. I would locate the floor framing with a hammer or stud finder. With a good adhesive you wont need many fasteners. Just dont plan on removing it.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Just make an easily portable frame you can lift out and reinstall when you need it again. You could make it with inter lockable corners/ pieces to be able to store it away for the winter.

I say this because I would not put any screws into the bottom of my camper not knowing exactly what's where, what's in there.

That is the safest recommendation I can give you.

X2
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just make an easily portable frame you can lift out and reinstall when you need it again. You could make it with inter lockable corners/ pieces to be able to store it away for the winter.

I say this because I would not put any screws into the bottom of my camper not knowing exactly what's where, what's in there.

That is the safest recommendation I can give you.