Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For POP UP CAMPER owners - sealing seams on vinyl

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
FWC, ATC, Phoenix, etc Owners -

I (unfortunately) got all lovey dovey and told my niece I would spend Tday in Oregon with them. I was crossing my fingers that rain would be minimal. Clearly my dances to the Sun God did no good.

It will rain. How much? I don't know. But last time we were in the rain with the truck camper popped up, the vertical seams below the vinyl windows leaked a little. You know those seams where the stitching is in the lower corners of the windows?

Here's my question - Does anyone seal those? Why don't they do that at the factory? Or is there a reason to not seal them?

If you seal them, what's the best sealer to use? I was thinking a simple beeswax sealer... :h
6 REPLIES 6

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Caution: Seam Grip volatiles smell like he**. And, it is flammable until it dries. I applied it on our inside stitching (seems to work perfectly in our situation). You may want to consider applying to the exterior stitching. If you use this, you had better practice on stitching not associated with your camper (some scrap stitching on some vinyl). You cannot remove this stuff if you mess up the application technique. Also, the cured material will darken slightly after 4 to 5 years (unless they changed the formulation since 17 years ago).

Good luck. This worked for us. Your mileage may vary.

Seam Grip: here-->

Great idea about practicing on something other than the pop-up vinyl first :C

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...I used Seam Grip (crystal clear) on the **Weblon** soft walls (I don't know what your softwalls are made of, so do your due diligence before applying) on our pop-up truck camper window stitching (the window bottom stitches). That was almost 17 years ago. The Seam Grip is still in perfect shape after all this time (we still own the 2005 camper). I never had to re-seal in all these years.

But be aware: you REALLY need to investigate where the stitching leaks are. I found our water beads (not terrible leaks) during a post-tropical storm in the Outer Banks, when the rain was coming down sideways in 54 mile per hour driving storm.

Just be sure that the water infiltration isn't coming in along the vertical stitches somewhere!

Caution: Seam Grip volatiles smell like he**. And, it is flammable until it dries. I applied it on our inside stitching (seems to work perfectly in our situation). You may want to consider applying to the exterior stitching. If you use this, you had better practice on stitching not associated with your camper (some scrap stitching on some vinyl). You cannot remove this stuff if you mess up the application technique. Also, the cured material will darken slightly after 4 to 5 years (unless they changed the formulation since 17 years ago).

Good luck. This worked for us. Your mileage may vary.

Seam Grip: here-->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet! Thank you!!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use this on my tents and tarps. It seals seams and stiches and stays flexible in cold and heat. Super easy to apply

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XYQZD4/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
Years ago when we had a pop up trailer, I used the same sealers people use for hiking boots and jackets. Bee's wax works well but takes some time to apply - There are easy to apply sprays that work but need to be applied more often.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your idea of a beeswax. If that does not work, you might try Shoe Goo, a flexible rubber product.