cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those on the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton bubble...

dugwms
Explorer
Explorer
After upgrading from a half ton at the beginning of summer, we just got back from our first long trip involving steep hills with our new 3/4 ton. Just wanted to pass on our experiences. If you're trying to make a decision, go with the 3/4 ton. The experience is so much better. I know there will be those that say it can be done with a half ton and, yes, it can but the experience is much less stressful when you're not always concerned with the tow vehicle. Towing with the half ton was fine for short distances that didn't tax the vehicle but for trips of hundreds of miles up and down steep grades, a tow vehicle that is not maxed out, or close to it, is a wonderful feeling. Hill start assist? Wonderful thing. Saw other trucks stopping in traffic on steep hills try to get started and rolling backwards several feet or gassing it and spinning the tires on wet pavement. Grade braking? Awesome. Speed never increased more than 3 miles and hour regardless how steep the descent and I never touched the breaks. Always in control, never felt like the trailer was pushing the truck. I realize it is very dependent on circumstances but having a better tow vehicle makes traveling a much better experience.
75 REPLIES 75

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3L diesel engine. Fantastic truck! I sold it ten years ago and haven't had a camper since. I just bought a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with the intention of buying a travel trailer. It has a 13,200 lb tow rating! I'd never tow that much with this truck but it's not much less than my 2002 was. I plan on towing a trailer around 80% of the tow rating though when it's loaded up. The new half-tons are incredible. I bought it because I need to drive it on my 50 mile round trip commute as well. It's a great truck and very comfortable for when you're not towing as well.
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Well in a gas engine there is a throttle plate when that is closed the engine can't draw combustion air in so the engine has resistance to turning. We called this "Compression" braking, but in reality it is "Vacuum" braking as the piston can't suck in air with the throttle plate closed.

Diesels don't have throttle plates, as engine speed is determined by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder.

In a diesel it is "Compression" braking as the path for the exhaust is greatly restricted, and when the piston is trying to expel the exhaust gas it is blocked offering great resistance to piston travel.

That's still not "Compression braking". Compression" braking is when the piston compresses the air and it’s then dumped by opening the exhaust valve. Before the piston travels back down.

Well I am going to ask understanding to what I am about to write. Please understand I am ambidextrous so I sometimes I have arguments with myself.

I stand by my first statements, gas engines have throttle valves that control flow of air into the engine. when that valve is shut it can't draw air into the cylinder during the intake stroke, it is pulling a vacuum, this is where the resistance to turning is coming from. During the compression stroke, it doesn't have much air to compress.

Diesels have no throttle plate, so free to draw in as much air as it wants. There for it has compression braking without an exhaust brake, BUT because it id direct injection even at idle it turns the engine partly overcoming the compression.
An exhaust brake places the restriction on the exhaust side, once that restriction is in place the extra effort to push out the exhaust gas past the restriction, resulting in compression of the exhaust gas slowing the engine.

Just think about it for a bit. :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 3,800 lb (fully loaded) travel trailer with a 3/4-ton diesel and it's been nice experience so far. I also drive it around town and it rides great. We are currently towing at 51% of the GCWR, 28% of max tow and when fully loaded have approximately 600 lbs of available payload. Still use a WD hitch, mostly for the sway control function.

We used to pull the same trailer with a FJ Cruiser and it did fine, but towing with the 3/4-ton is much more comfortable.

I'm sure a 1/2-ton Ford EB would do a wonderful job pulling our little trailer, but I'm not suffering pulling it with a larger TV.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t remember the specific details but it has to with the disclaimer “For trailers up to 2,000 lbs., tongue load not to exceed 200 lbs” you see noted in towing guides. Again it’s the potential that increases not that all will experience it.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
A 3/4 or 1 ton may be needed for a 6000lb trailer if you fill the TV cab with people and the bed with payload. Not to mention the margin of stability gained by such a combination when the TV out weighs the trailer. FYI having too much TV is a real thing, the potential for trailer instability is very high if it’s weight is less than 25% of the TV.

You're going to have to explain that one to me. I've towed around little utility trailers and such with no trouble at all. As long as the trailer is balanced properly I don't see how it matters what type of truck is on the other end of the hitch. I guess I could see how a driver in a heavier truck wouldn't notice a little trailer swaying around and that could be problematic, but truck being heavier wouldn't contribute to the sway.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Well in a gas engine there is a throttle plate when that is closed the engine can't draw combustion air in so the engine has resistance to turning. We called this "Compression" braking, but in reality it is "Vacuum" braking as the piston can't suck in air with the throttle plate closed.

Diesels don't have throttle plates, as engine speed is determined by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder.

In a diesel it is "Compression" braking as the path for the exhaust is greatly restricted, and when the piston is trying to expel the exhaust gas it is blocked offering great resistance to piston travel.

That's still not "Compression braking". Compression" braking is when the piston compresses the air and it’s then dumped by opening the exhaust valve. Before the piston travels back down.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
2Rad4U wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Notice the amount of people on here ( not just on this thread) suggesting that a 350/ 3500 is needed to tow a light TT in the 6000lb range. Really absurd.

I can't recall a single post saying you needed a 350/3500 to tow a light TT

Well if there wasn't one in the last 6 pages, the next post below yours got er done!
But that post was confusing and contradictory, so idk....

I was in this situation! Family of 6 that weighed 1200-1300 lbs when my kids were teens. Add in 2 alaskan malamutes in crates in bed, 150 lbs per dog! rack with a canoe, generator, 800 lbs of HW for a 6500 lbs trailer......put some 2400-3000 lbs of wt into and on the truck! So yes, on may need a 1 ton to pull a 6000'ish lb trailer. I have said this many times, and will continue to say this with how and why "I" and maybe you need a higher payload rig for what many would say is towable with a lighter duty truck!
There is never a correct, right or wrong answer to this! Get the correct truck for you, for the trailer you wish to pull.
In my example earlier, ie my mdt vs my c2500 or my sons 1500 toing a 6000 lbs trailer. I would take my sons 1500, if I could keep with in gvw specs etc. Mainly because it has AC, cruise and a few other niceties for driving comfort. The MDT, due to the overhang of the dump flatbed, I could not get it hitched to my TT! It would need a really long hitch bar!
I'm sure many of us can come up with why or how a given truck works or does not work for a given payload sized truck. ALL of the answers are correct!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2Rad4U wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Notice the amount of people on here ( not just on this thread) suggesting that a 350/ 3500 is needed to tow a light TT in the 6000lb range. Really absurd.

Well if there wasn't one in the last 6 pages, the next post below yours got er done!
But that post was confusing and contradictory, so idk....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
None of the newest 1/2T's have even to the grade braking the diesels do.

Most of them do not need it as they are gasoline V8’s. Just gear down.

Agree. It come naturally in a gas engine. Why add something that is already there.
however it has to be added to diesels, since it is not a natural thing for them.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
A 3/4 or 1 ton may be needed for a 6000lb trailer if you fill the TV cab with people and the bed with payload. Not to mention the margin of stability gained by such a combination when the TV out weighs the trailer. FYI having too much TV is a real thing, the potential for trailer instability is very high if it’s weight is less than 25% of the TV.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
About the same number that think it's ideal to tow a 12k lb 5th wheel with a half ton, which is more absurd.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dugwms wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
dugwms wrote:
I guess I was trying to provide some information for those considering the same change we made: do we stay with a half ton, and a "heavy" half ton at that, or do we switch to a 3/4 ton? My experience was, it is much more relaxing and enjoyable towing with a 3/4 ton at around 55% capacity than it is towing with a 1/2 ton at 90-95% capacity. Wretched excess? Maybe. All I know is, when we got to the campground at the end of a long day driving, I was much more relaxed. My .02

Yes it is easier towing 6k with a 3/4 ton, and easier still with a 1 ton, and easier still with a MTD. It is just not really needed.

Argumentum ad absurdum...

But very true. Notice the amount of people on here ( not just on this thread) suggesting that a 350/ 3500 is needed to tow a light TT in the 6000lb range. Really absurd.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
dugwms wrote:
it can but the experience is much less stressful when you're not always concerned with the tow vehicle. Towing with the half ton was fine for short distances that didn't tax the vehicle but for trips of hundreds of miles up and down steep grades, a tow vehicle that is not maxed out, or close to it, is a wonderful feeling.

having a better tow vehicle makes traveling a much better experience.

I agree. It was less driver fatigue and less worry about wear and tear for me.
This was my experience as well - can totally see the point the OP is making. I towed my previous Coleman TT with my new 2500 on 2 trips before upgrading to a fifth wheel. Had to - that drop shank was expensive! Previously towed with a Tundra. Driver fatigue was big for me - not when towing with the 2500.

Like the OP - not saying that the Tundra couldn't do the job - just that the 2500 did it a whole lot better with less stress on the driver - me.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
dugwms wrote:
it can but the experience is much less stressful when you're not always concerned with the tow vehicle. Towing with the half ton was fine for short distances that didn't tax the vehicle but for trips of hundreds of miles up and down steep grades, a tow vehicle that is not maxed out, or close to it, is a wonderful feeling.

having a better tow vehicle makes traveling a much better experience.

I agree. It was less driver fatigue and less worry about wear and tear for me.