cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Nav Voice turn by turn

Im looking at a used 2013 F-150 and it says it has the voice turn by turn Nav, can anybody tell me if this is useless or not? The salesman acts like it has Nav but Im not sure what to make of it. Ive never seen just the voice Nav. We're planning on making a trip out West for a month or so and will need a nav to get around, I need to know if this will get me there or not.. Also do you know if its like Sirus FM radio where you have to pay for it over time. Thanks again -Mark
16 REPLIES 16

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has Sync, but not full nav, but I never use it. Bluetooth and Cortana is all I need. Never have to take my hands off the wheel.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
how much does the service cost? After the trial period if you get one?

Does it work, yes. HOWEVER, I prefer my garmin to the built in turn by turn and one with a full nav.

Thanks guys and yes I brought that baby home today, Im so happy!! Thanks for all you help. The dealer bought me a dash mounted Garmin GPS and it has unlimited update package Thank you

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
floridacamper wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
floridacamper wrote:
Im looking at a used 2013 F-150 and it says it has the voice turn by turn Nav, can anybody tell me if this is useless or not? The salesman acts like it has Nav but Im not sure what to make of it. Ive never seen just the voice Nav. We're planning on making a trip out West for a month or so and will need a nav to get around, I need to know if this will get me there or not.. Also do you know if its like Sirus FM radio where you have to pay for it over time. Thanks again -Mark

I know that the Nav in my 13 Ram works great! Better than any other Nav I have had or been around. No you should not have to pay for it nice with the Sat Radio but you may have to pay to update it every few years as roads are added. There are HWY's that I have been on close to towns that are not on my Nav where they have built bypasses around the towns but it has not caused a problem yet because the road number has always been the same.

is yours like this one where it doesn't show a map?

I'm sorry, no I have a full 8.4" map display. I didn't know you could get Nav without a display. I didn't think about something like Onstar being a form of Nav. To be honest, I believe I would just use my phone if I were in your shoes. I wouldn't let Nav keep me from buying a truck if I liked it. To many ways to get directions in the digital world.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Ford Escape with the MyTouch SYNC system. You have to subscribe to the sync system for $60/year. The navigation works fine. A little area on the screen shows your next turn (i.e., left or right arrow). There is no map. We have found it satisfactory, and for the price, I figure I would be buying a new GPS every three years, so it's about a wash. There are some quirks that you can work around.
1) You need a smart phone, because the SYNC system calls in and you talk to the computer to tell it where you want to go.
2) There is an app for the smart phone that you can program in advance. It will put in a planned destination on the SYNC center computer, so you don't have to go through the whole business of entering an address while in the car. You just say the name of the programmed destination, e.g., "Bob's house."
3) The SYNC system then downloads the directions to the computer in your car and ends the call.
4) If you go off the planned route, it asks if you want to continue on the route. If so, it will pick up the directions when you intersect the planned route again. If not, it will either shut down or reroute you to your direction, using another call on your phone to download new directions.

It is more cumbersome than a GPS, but it gets the job done. The directions are, for the most part, pretty accurate, but always carry a hard copy map when using GPS directions from any source! (JMHO)
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

carringb wrote:
Ford with Synch, but not MyFord Touch, have turn-by-turn directions available just like using On-star, except the data is paired through your cell-pohone instead of having to pay monthly connection fees.

On that note... pretty hard to beat Google maps, and it will play sound through your speakers using Synch or a standard headphone patch cord.

I like blue trucks. Too many silver trucks on the road these days. Its nice to see some color.

Thanks for the input.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford with Synch, but not MyFord Touch, have turn-by-turn directions available just like using On-star, except the data is paired through your cell-pohone instead of having to pay monthly connection fees.

On that note... pretty hard to beat Google maps, and it will play sound through your speakers using Synch or a standard headphone patch cord.

I like blue trucks. Too many silver trucks on the road these days. Its nice to see some color.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

He just texted me and told me they would set me up with a nice dash mounted Tom Tom, to be honest with you I didn't know what a Tom Tom was, I had to ask, he was about to get told off haha anyways any thoughts on these pros and cons He's about to get my business I think. One more thing that has me held up is the color is a blue, looks good but will it get old quick?

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like what is in my 2014.
No touch screen. You call a number, and tell them where you want to go, in advance, and they send directions to you truck.
Sounds useless to me. I've never considered trying it.
I use apps on my phone. I don't have to watch the screen, it gives me voice commands, and adapts if I go a different way.
A true nav system would be better.
The ford with touch screen, I believe, has it, but they weren't in stock when I was buying.
That didn't sway my purchase at all.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

schwipps324 wrote:
floridacamper wrote:

Are you saying the salesman is telling you it has voice nav only and doesn't show a map? If you are then this is not correct. Does it have a touch screen? If it doesn't then it doesn't have actual nav. And even if it does have the touch screen that doesn't mean it has nav either. If it has the touch screen and nav it will say so in the top right corner of the touch screen. The sales man could be referring to a sync function where the truck will download directions from syncmyride.com and then tell them to you. The actual built in Navigation is great. I use it all the time so I can see what roads are coming up and where I'll be turning. I've never actually had the truck read my directions though. The real navigation doesn't cost anything either. i think syncmyride may after a certain amount of time.

Yeah after researching I think it has the syncmyride, he just wanting me to buy the truck I really want a real Nav that shows the map too. Thanks for all the replies, we shall see

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
floridacamper wrote:

Are you saying the salesman is telling you it has voice nav only and doesn't show a map? If you are then this is not correct. Does it have a touch screen? If it doesn't then it doesn't have actual nav. And even if it does have the touch screen that doesn't mean it has nav either. If it has the touch screen and nav it will say so in the top right corner of the touch screen. The sales man could be referring to a sync function where the truck will download directions from syncmyride.com and then tell them to you. The actual built in Navigation is great. I use it all the time so I can see what roads are coming up and where I'll be turning. I've never actually had the truck read my directions though. The real navigation doesn't cost anything either. i think syncmyride may after a certain amount of time.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to touch on voice...all three of my apps has it and the one like the
most is Google Maps Nav

As long as it has cell coverage...it blends in traffic updates from where ever
they get it

Meaning...it will 'bing'...then a flashing arrow will point to an alternate
route with a message something like: "1.4 hours shorter if you take this"

Found that out in my May trip to S Cal...Highway 5 and got those messages

Plus...move over to the right...left lanes slow ahead

then it would update that Highway 5 slow down every few minutes until I
took one that said save 34 minutes and it then directed me through
local streets and actually did save me about that amount of
time...as brother and his family had a Garmin and decided to stick
with it's instructions...so they showed up about 30 minutes after
I arrived
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Is "Voice, Turn By Turn" navigation useless in general? Heck no. I'd rather have you listening to a device -- while driving -- than looking down at your smartphone, your GPS or your map! 🙂

If you're not a Smartphone person, and you seek directions - then yeah, I'd use it.

One advantage of the in-dash unit is that it will mute the radio when it has something to say. Yeah - you can do that with your iPhone or Android but you have to know something about Bluetooth.

One disadvantage is that the maps *sometimes* come a bit old, a bit outdated. Usually not a big deal but roads change. Last time I looked (2005 or so) it was $150 for a new DVD to update the GPS in the Honda.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
My smartphone is better than the one on sisters and her husbands E series MB

Smartphone is okay, but would like a larger screen...plus when the
phone/text message comes in...kills the visual and have to re-initiate

Am going to use my iPad Air and looking for a holder right now. Think found one
at Amazon:

ipadmount ipadholder ipadairmount

Not just right, yet...still looking

Goes with my not liking 'highly integrated' stuff on my automotive

Have three different GPS apps and one for when no cell coverage going up for
oysters with GF. 100% GPS line of sight

Wonder how often the on board DB has to be updated...and/or if automatic
update or manual updates?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...